• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is your experience booking Grande Luxxe and Grand Mayan Neuva Vallarta

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I've read the reviews on TUG for these two Neuva Vallarta resorts and I'm just wondering if they are readily available for trading into using HGVC Club points. The Grande Luxxe requires lots more points than the Grande Mayan - is it worth it to blow the budget at the Grande Luxxe? Eating in restaurants non-stop does not appeal to us. Is it easy to buy your own food near the resort so you can cook in the unit? Are there extra resort fees when you trade in using HGVC Club Points?

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did not go through all of the posts on the thread from Bao, but many if not all of the comments refer to trading through RCI and it seems I should be able to book directly in to this resort using HGVC Club Points. Does anyone have direct recent experience using HGVC Club Points?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
...... I should be able to book directly in to this resort using HGVC Club Points. Does anyone have direct recent experience using HGVC Club Points?

It will still be an exchange - therefore therefore you will likely pay a resort fee .

find out if HGVC has negotiated a better fee / if not you will likely pay the per room size fee that RCI & II exchangers pay .
< added : Hurnik & Alwysonvac give good explanations of how this is best done via SFX in subsequent posts >

When do you want to go ?
How much is the dollar cost - based on the number of HGVC points needed ?

I see you list Alberta as home .
Vidanta has built for peak season capacity - Christmas to Easter / snowbird season .
Their resorts are busy during this timeframe ,BUT because they are RTU and want sales prospects, exchangers do get in during peak season From May to mid December there is plenty of capacity .

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here’s what I found searching the HGVC forum (see links below)
  1. Vidanta Grand Luxxe-HGVC? (2018)
  2. HGVC - Grand Maya strict booking rules (2017)
  3. The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya ..Whats the deal with this resort (2017)
  4. Using Club Points to book reservations in SFX (2014)

From link #3 above, posted by TUG Member Hurnik in July 2018

With HGVC there's 3 ways to book Vidanta resorts (independent of renting from someone):

1) Directly with your HGVC points, but you have to call HGVC to do this. The points requirements are quite steep, IMO. I don't know if booking via this method avoids the resort fee all together, or if you pay the typical SFX $75 Resort fee imposed by Vidanta.

2) Use your HGVC RCI account to book. This of course, incurs the RCI exchange fee, AND the lovely Vidanta-imposed resort fee which is based on unit size, as you found out. You get a 25% discount on that resort fee, plus ( although it's horribly worded, IMO), a 25% discount on room charges (you have to click that link in the RCI fees area to see what it really covers). IMO, this makes it expensive, and almost as pricey as renting from an owner on redweek. For *me*, not worth it and we won't go there if RCI/II is our only option.

3) SFX. You can get a trial/free membership, deposit a HGVC week (I deposit a Flamingo week at 2400 points), and then OGS or book via SFX. You'll pay the Exchange fee, which for regular/free I think is $189? (I'm Diamond, so I pay $149). And the $75 resort fee is due upon check-out. IMO, this is the best/cheapest way, given the 3.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain if you use your HGVC points to book it's via SFX. However, I do *not* know 100% for sure if it's subject to the $75 SFX Resort fee.

There IS a big difference, IMO between Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe. Once you go Grand Luxxe you never want to go "down" in level, LOL! It's very plush/ooh-la-la.

However, again, if it were me:
I'd use my HGVC points to deposit into SFX and then use SFX to get the Grand Luxxe/GM week. The reason being is that even with the $189 or whatever exchange fee and $299 "uplift" to Grand Luxxe, it uses a fraction of the points (2400-4800 points depending on if you want 1 BR/2BR) vs like what, the 12,000 points HGVC wants?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Not familiar with SFX. Do you have to deposit a week you own? or can you use points to reserve a low point unit and deposit? If the former, I believe @hurnik has found a good use for a low point value week.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with SFX. Do you have to deposit a week you own? or can you use points to reserve a low point unit and deposit? If the former, I believe @hurnik has found a good use for a low point value week.

You can deposit with SFX (with Hilton) two ways:
1) Deposit your home week
2) Deposit a points/club-booked week

Due to #2, I almost always deposit the 2400-point 1 BR Las Vegas Flamingo week. Since I'm a Diamond member, I get free one-size upgrades, so then I can book a 2 BR Grand Mayan/GB/GL/whatever for no extra charge.

But if one is using the free membeship with SFX, I believe you'd have to pay a size upgrade (which may or may not be cheaper than booking a 2 BR week and depositing it).

It'll cost more "cash" this way, but if one calculates the points value of their HGV points, I think you come out ahead.

So a 2400 point booking will cost you $67 to book with Hilton, and eventually the $55 or whatever Guest Cert fee when SFX tells you they found someone to book your deposited week. Then the $189 (?) fee for the Exchange booking with SFX. Plus maybe $299 for the Grand Luxxe upgrade. Don't remember what the size unit upgrade fee is.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We would need a 1 bedroom so would you then book a studio at Flamingo or elsewhere and then upgrade to a 1bdrm? or do you have better chances with a 1 bdrm to 1 bdrm exchange?

I presume the benefit of HGVC is that you can book less than a week so the point differential may not be as large - especially on weekday visits.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We would need a 1 bedroom so would you then book a studio at Flamingo or elsewhere and then upgrade to a 1bdrm? or do you have better chances with a 1 bdrm to 1 bdrm exchange?

I presume the benefit of HGVC is that you can book less than a week so the point differential may not be as large - especially on weekday visits.

No, you can only deposit 1 BR or higher with SFX (it's very rare circumstances that they will take a studio deposit).

Even if you deposited a Wed-Wed with HGVC, the 7 night still equals say, 2400 or 3400 points (or whatever). The ONLY benefit with depositing points/club reservation vs. homeweek is that you *may* be able to deposit a lower point week.

ie: My home week is a 7,000 point 3BR Gold Vegas week. Vs, a "points/club" 2400 1 BR at Flamingo.

Now, if I were depositing a 3400 point week unit, then Home Week may make more sense as I'd save on the booking fee of $67.

I'm not privy to the internal workings of SFX (or RCI/II) as to matching exchanges, but since they have a close relationship with Vidanta, I can say from experience that 1 BR are relatively easy to get--especially Grand Mayan at 6+ months out. Unless you want high-demand week (Christmas, New Years, pretty much anything from Christmas to Mid-April you'll want to book 9-12 months in advance if possible). Nuevo Vallarta of course, has much more inventory than Riviera Maya so GL is more easily accessible as well. Plus they don't have the ludicrous restrictions on amenities like RM.

One time though I had already deposited my 2400-point weeks and it was less than 90 days out (the low-weeks in Flamingo are like the first 4 weeks in January or something). I needed another unit so I called and they said if I had anything in Carlsbad for a certain month they had an immediate use, so I deposited a 3400 point Carlsbad HGV week and got my 2 BR Grand Bliss.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm fairly certain if you use your HGVC points to book it's via SFX. However, I do *not* know 100% for sure if it's subject to the $75 SFX Resort fee.

There IS a big difference, IMO between Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe. Once you go Grand Luxxe you never want to go "down" in level, LOL! It's very plush/ooh-la-la.

However, again, if it were me:
I'd use my HGVC points to deposit into SFX and then use SFX to get the Grand Luxxe/GM week. The reason being is that even with the $189 or whatever exchange fee and $299 "uplift" to Grand Luxxe, it uses a fraction of the points (2400-4800 points depending on if you want 1 BR/2BR) vs like what, the 12,000 points HGVC wants?
This is a wrinkle that I was not aware of. We have HGVC points - not weeks, we have 2 x 7000 Las Vegas for a total of 14,000. Can these be deposited directly in SFX? If that is the case would I have to call HGVC to make that deposit, and then in turn contact SFX for the booking. Would I have to deposit one "block" of 7000 points or would I be able to just deposit the amount of points I want to use in GL. If I was not able to get the booking I wanted would I be able to retrieve these points?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a wrinkle that I was not aware of. We have HGVC points - not weeks, we have 2 x 7000 Las Vegas for a total of 14,000. Can these be deposited directly in SFX? If that is the case would I have to call HGVC to make that deposit, and then in turn contact SFX for the booking. Would I have to deposit one "block" of 7000 points or would I be able to just deposit the amount of points I want to use in GL. If I was not able to get the booking I wanted would I be able to retrieve these points?

If you are using SFX to Exchange (vs. booking via HGV):

1) Deposit your home week (this would use all your 7,000 points, and I'm assuming it's a 2 BR unit in that case)
2) Deposit a points/club-booked week (in which case, you book a CLUB reservation where a 1 BR, 1 Week unit would cost anywhere from 2400-3400 points if using a Vegas booking).

Does that help?

You have to join SFX first (they have a free membership).
You then would use their "deposit offer" link on the website, and find the item you are wanting to deposit and it'll tell you if it's "high demand" week or not and what they would give you in return (typically 1 Exchange week, and one bonus week--cash booking basically).

You then book that week via HGV (either HOME week - which uses all your points) or Club booking (Usually you will pick a Sat-Sat, at least that's what I do--if using a non-home week) for say, a Vegas week. Deposit it. You'll get a form from SFX stating basically that when they get someone to use your deposited week, they will contact you and you have X days to get the Guest Certificate to them.

Once you make your deposit with SFX you cannot retrieve it/take it back, AFAIK. You typically have 2 years to use that deposited week with SFX before it expires. (Pretty much the same as "regular" II/RCI, AFAIK).

You can most certainly deposit your home week if you so desire. But for me, it makes "financial" sense to use my club weeks (ie: points). 7,000 in most cases is a 2 BR unit "high" season (say Hawaii), or in one of mine, a 3 BR Gold in Vegas. I'd rather deposit a 3400 or 4800 points and book a 2 BR Vegas (Flamingo,etc) and deposit THAT with SFX instead.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
So it sounds from @alwysonvac post that HGVC requires 7 night increment so this is purely arbitrage for the lowest point way to book.

Aside from Grand Mayan/Luxxe, what other properties tend to be abundant in SFX? I looked at the online directory but hard to tell what's really available.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Aside from Grand Mayan/Luxxe, what other properties tend to be abundant in SFX? I looked at the online directory but hard to tell what's really available.
They get a lot of Mexico properties. You can glean a bit from their "Resort Escapes" list (like RCI Last Call) to see the "leftovers" they have. I think I have made exchanges with them three times: one in Mexico, two January ski weeks in Colorado (Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs).

Kurt

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1) Deposit your home week
2) Deposit a points/club-booked week

Due to #2, I almost always deposit the 2400-point 1 BR Las Vegas Flamingo week. Since I'm a Diamond member, I get free one-size upgrades, so then I can book a 2 BR Grand Mayan/GB/GL/whatever for no extra charge.

But if one is using the free membeship with SFX, I believe you'd have to pay a size upgrade (which may or may not be cheaper than booking a 2 BR week and depositing it).

It'll cost more "cash" this way, but if one calculates the points value of their HGV points, I think you come out ahead.

So a 2400 point booking will cost you $67 to book with Hilton, and eventually the $55 or whatever Guest Cert fee when SFX tells you they found someone to book your deposited week. Then the $189 (?) fee for the Exchange booking with SFX. Plus maybe $299 for the Grand Luxxe upgrade. Don't remember what the size unit upgrade fee is.
Are you a Diamond member with SFX? How does one go about achieving that level?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
With the comments lately about exchangers into Grand Luxxe not getting access to the GL pools etc. I wonder it if will be worth it. I wonder if because of the SFX or HGVC relationship, exchanges via these companies are exempt for the exchange exclusions. I do not know, but it makes me wonder.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With the comments lately about exchangers into Grand Luxxe not getting access to the GL pools etc. I wonder it if will be worth it. I wonder if because of the SFX or HGVC relationship, exchanges via these companies are exempt for the exchange exclusions. I do not know, but it makes me wonder.
Sandy is it your experience that the restrictions have applied to RCI echanges?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandy is it your experience that the restrictions have applied to RCI echanges?

There is a lot of discussion lately about these restrictions on RCI exchanges for sure. What I do not know is if those restrictions apply to exchanges via SFX or HGVC.

I have exchanged via SFX on many occasions have never had this restriction. But you do get charged a upcharge to stay at the Grand Luxxe via SFX. It was $299 I think, but it could have been $199. It has been several years since I have stayed there via SFX, but I was considering going again, and was wondering if the restrictions apply. I would want access to the GL and Beach Club pools.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Pay $$ for a membership instead of a free one.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, WAY back when, they had 3 levels of paid membership:
Silver, gold, Diamond (I think).
I wanna say diamond was like $199 or $299/year (kinda like II) but you got discounted things, etc. I purchased diamond Lifetime membership (technically good for 32 years) for like $2400 but it included 2 4-night cruises in interior whatever cabins for "free".

They've since re-did the levels of membership.

You can get a diamond membership free trial, which is what I recommend anyone considering using SFX, do. (don't just buy a membership if you're not sure).

SFX isn't for everyone (just like HGVC isn't for everyone, some folks find a better fit with other programs).

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of discussion lately about these restrictions on RCI exchanges for sure. What I do not know is if those restrictions apply to exchanges via SFX or HGVC.

I have exchanged via SFX on many occasions have never had this restriction. But you do get charged a upcharge to stay at the Grand Luxxe via SFX. It was $299 I think, but it could have been $199. It has been several years since I have stayed there via SFX, but I was considering going again, and was wondering if the restrictions apply. I would want access to the GL and Beach Club pools.

I think the OP was looking for Nuevo Vallarta.

Currently only Riviera Maya has any restrictions (regardless of Exchange company) for Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe and it also seems to vary for the times of year it applies.

My advice/opinion:
IF you're going to Vidanta Riviera Maya and want to stay at Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe, rent from an owner or else you won't get access to everything.

IF you're going to Nuevo Vallarta, then there are (currently) no restrictions to amenities (ie, if you exchange into Grand Luxxe, you can use the GL Pool, etc.)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the OP was looking for Nuevo Vallarta.

Currently only Riviera Maya has any restrictions (regardless of Exchange company) for Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe and it also seems to vary for the times of year it applies.

My advice/opinion:
IF you're going to Vidanta Riviera Maya and want to stay at Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe, rent from an owner or else you won't get access to everything.

IF you're going to Nuevo Vallarta, then there are (currently) no restrictions to amenities (ie, if you exchange into Grand Luxxe, you can use the GL Pool, etc.)

Did realize the restrictions were for RM only. In all fairness that is where I would likely go. I did not realize that PV or NV was not part of those restrictions.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So this is my back of the napkin summary, correct me if I am wrong: It seems that trading into GL has some financial benefits if you book through SFX, but in order to do that on a cost effective basis I would need to book an HGVC week using my points, and then deposit that week with SFX and hope that I get a match. Along with that I would likely be required to pay an SFX booking fee, an upcharge of approximately $299 and a resort fee of $75. If I needed to change or cancel it would likely be difficult to impossible. Then there is the issue of possible restrictions which have not yet been applied to the Vallarta properties, but could be based on their history on the east coast Mexico properties.

On the other hand I could go through HGVC for the booking, pay an $82 booking fee, and a $62 cancellation fee, and at GL I would have to pay a $75 resort fee. So the all in cash costs would be $217 USD and I am assuming I could book one or two weeks for the same total fee. I am also assuming that no restrictions apply when going through HGVC. With the points of over 12,000 for a one bedroom, we would probably only use a studio which is in excess of 7000 points.

The real tempting aspect of using SFX is I could possible get a GL 1 bdrm, (upgraded to a 2 bdrm if I become a Diamond member for another fee) for 3400 to 4800 HGVC points but I would be dealing with uncertainty as to whether I would be able to get a GL week that would work, and I would have to pay the upgrade fee of $299 to get into GL.

I'm just wondering if the extra hassle going through SFX is worth it?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
So this is my back of the napkin summary, correct me if I am wrong: It seems that trading into GL has some financial benefits if you book through SFX, but in order to do that on a cost effective basis I would need to book an HGVC week using my points, and then deposit that week with SFX and hope that I get a match. Along with that I would likely be required to pay an SFX booking fee, an upcharge of approximately $299 and a resort fee of $75. If I needed to change or cancel it would likely be difficult to impossible. Then there is the issue of possible restrictions which have not yet been applied to the Vallarta properties, but could be based on their history on the east coast Mexico properties.

On the other hand I could go through HGVC for the booking, pay an $82 booking fee, and a $62 cancellation fee, and at GL I would have to pay a $75 resort fee. So the all in cash costs would be $217 USD and I am assuming I could book one or two weeks for the same total fee. I am also assuming that no restrictions apply when going through HGVC. With the points of over 12,000 for a one bedroom, we would probably only use a studio which is in excess of 7000 points.

The real tempting aspect of using SFX is I could possible get a GL 1 bdrm, (upgraded to a 2 bdrm if I become a Diamond member for another fee) for 3400 to 4800 HGVC points but I would be dealing with uncertainty as to whether I would be able to get a GL week that would work, and I would have to pay the upgrade fee of $299 to get into GL.

I'm just wondering if the extra hassle going through SFX is worth it?

If it's a one-time thing, and you don't mind the exorbitant points requirements (don't forget to calculate the cost per point into your equation), HGV might be a better option for you.

Alternatively, you can also book via RCI, although you'd have an increase resort fee, and the $289 booking fee, but the points requirement would be 3400 for a 1 BR (but not Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya via RCI--you can only get Grand Bliss Riviera Maya via RCI. You can get Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta via RCI).

You could also potentially call the SFX number to join (free membership) and inquire if they have any "ready" inventory for the date you want. If they do, they may do a 24-hour courtesy hold for you whilst you deposit your week from Hilton.

IMO, the Exchange fees for SFX are comparable to RCI/II.

I always factor a $/point when doing things.
ie:
Is it "cheaper" ultimately to spend 7000 points with Hilton to get a 2 BR somewhere, or use 4800 points via RCI to get the same 2 BR unit? Well, let's see:
$/point = BLAH
HGVC Booking fee = BLAH

$/point RCI = BLAH
RCI Exchange fee = BLAH

I calculate my cost/point by taking my total MF and divide by my total points. Although realistically I should also factor in my 10/15/20 year ownership (acquisition cost of said contracts).

But that's just me.