• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott messing with Guest Confirmations again

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
If anyone is calling in and updating the Guest name, i.e., Primary Occupant, have them send the confirmation from both systems: OLD = Peer; NEW = Power.

I found that I get two distinct confirmations, one of which didn't show the guest's name. I even got a third non-graphical email one time.

Even the reps aren't sure which system generates which confirmation. Most are working in 'Power', which is the new format with minimal detail.

Let us know what you find...

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
After you receive a confirmation from Marriott, when you forward it to someone else, you can edit the words and put any name you want. Essentially, you are tweaking the system. Just make sure the guest name is truly attached. This may require a call back to Marriott. I have been having this issue for several years. Some Marriott Reps. say they can only put the name in the guest spot. And some Reps. say they can replace the owner’s name.

You are right, the last few days have been a pain. They say it is new system versus old system. It requires a supervisor to make it right.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I forgot. Yes no guest fees for Home Resort reservations.

And, against VSE rules to rent SO exchanges.
So... the $59 fee would be a ‘gift’ fee (family, friend, etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there is a little misunderstanding on this and the changes to the confirmation. I just got off the phone with Marriott and added a name of a guest. They said since I was the owner my name would remain on the confirmation and it remains linked to my account. I received the updated confirmation and there is a line that list the renters name as an additional guest, so their name does appear on the reservation.

Below is a screen shot of what I received. I don't have a problem with this method of listing the renters as an additional guest and I always recommend they call Marriott to confirm if they have any questions on the reservation. Also, as Joe stated you can also edit the confirmation to included their name at the top if you want to see it both places, but don't believe that is necessary.

upload_2019-5-6_11-20-34.png

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing it that way does carry the risk that your CC will remain on the account and if there are issues such as charges left or damages, you'd be directly responsible though if they are your guests you still carry some responsibility. The owner info is fine to remain but you do need the actual reservation interns of listed in the room to be changed over to the other parties name.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my name entirely out of the reservation and replaced with renter's name. They kept my email on the reservation so that I receive correspondence. In my MVC week reservation history, the reservation numbers are there and show up as "Occupy". It was my first time renting out and the agent advised that it was the recommended way to do it. It was in the old system.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing it that way does carry the risk that your CC will remain on the account and if there are issues such as charges left or damages, you'd be directly responsible though if they are your guests you still carry some responsibility. The owner info is fine to remain but you do need the actual reservation interns of listed in the room to be changed over to the other parties name.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the owner's CC will remain on the account since they refuse to allow any Villas to be occupied without first swiping a Credit Card of the person who presents proper identification.....

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the owner's CC will remain on the account since they refuse to allow any Villas to be occupied without first swiping a Credit Card of the person who presents proper identification.....

I've had it remain on those I rented out at least once. And I've gotten a number of folios with CC statement attached including exchanges not just rentals. But IF the owners name remains on the actual reservation and the renter simply added to it as a guest, I do believe there are additional risks. Now are those additional risks present regardless, likely so but to a lessor degree.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

As the owner, as far as MVC is concerned aren't you ultimately responsible for damages even if you rented the unit to someone else?

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Marriott made a change earlier this year that also makes it difficult for owners renting their weeks.

It used to be that a renter could to go Marriott site and enter their name, confirmation and arrival date, and they would see a full confirmation just like an owner would see, complete with stay dates, unit size, view, guest name, etc.

A renter no longer sees any of that. They only see a gray banner with the resort name. Below that, it says "UPCOMING RESERVATION". That's it. No name, dates, unit size, view - nothing. The only validation they get is that the search did not result in an invalid confirmation number.

An OWNER (NOT renting out their week) searching with the their name and confirmation number will see the full confirmation.

If the owner calls Marriott and changes the Occupy name to that of the renter, the owner will no longer be able to look up the reservation using their name in the search - only the renter's.

The ONLY validation I was able to give my renter was the Email I received saying "Thank you for booking directly with us, <Renter>". Now even that is gone?

This policy is very bad. I want my renter to have peace of mind by being able to check their reservation online 24/7. Now it looks like they will need to call the resort to validate their reservation (ultimately adding to my MF).

@DeniseM, who do you recommend owners contact to share their feelings?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As the owner, as far as MVC is concerned aren't you ultimately responsible for damages even if you rented the unit to someone else?
I tried to convey that but I believe there's a level of risk different if it's your name and the other party both.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Almost a Marriott owner, own Hyatt. I don't understand how Marriott can obstruct or diminish the owners rights if thats what I am reading here. As others have posted, Marriott is in business for profit. No problem, but don't obstruct my rights as a property owner who chooses to rent their property. This reads as if Marriott is putting yet another hurdle in the owners way to hinder resale activity and rental competition ...for profit no doubt at the owners expense.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Almost a Marriott owner, own Hyatt. I don't understand how Marriott can obstruct or diminish the owners rights if thats what I am reading here. As others have posted, Marriott is in business for profit. No problem, but don't obstruct my rights as a property owner who chooses to rent their property. This reads as if Marriott is putting yet another hurdle in the owners way to hinder resale activity and rental competition ...for profit no doubt at the owners expense.
While I understand the changes are frustrating to some, my two cents are that this has nothing to do with any effort to mess with "guest confirmations" (as no such thing really ever existed in the Marriott res system), nor a concerted attempt to thwart anyone's ability to rent their unit. It's simply a result of changes to the reservation system as a whole.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

To the point of this post, since you're almost a new owner and sound a bit unsure as to what Marriott can and can't do you should carefully read the terms of your contract when you have it. That way you won't be confused by the drama in bulletin board threads.

Personally I haven't had any problems with having my guests' name in either the top section of a confirmation or added as a guest. Wherever is fine as long as it's on the confirmation.

Every time I've called to check about the name on the ressie, the rep has always noted that even if our name isn't showing it is still listed. That leads me to believe, as owners, we have a liability for who is in the room. I try to screen my guests. We hope the guests always have to present i.d. and credit card but with so many people handling the front desk and new personnel who knows what mistakes can happen.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I understand the changes are frustrating to some, my two cents are that this has nothing to do with any effort to mess with "guest confirmations" (as no such thing really ever existed in the Marriott res system), nor a concerted attempt to thwart anyone's ability to rent their unit. It's simply a result of changes to the reservation system as a whole.
Exactly but even if it does make it more difficult to confirm in the name of a renter and thus rent, it doesn't automatically make it inappropriate. There will always be changes and technically a rental is between the owner and the renter not with Marriott.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
When I rent my unit, I always just add the renters name keeping my name on the reservation. I never even tried to have a renters name only on the reservation. I give the renter the number to the Monarch and have them confirm the name add. My rental agreement states the renter must provide a CC at check in. Timeshares always require a CC at check in so I don’t think there is a risk of a credit card on file being charged.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sucks when something changes and it disrupts someone's process but this really is much to do about nothing in my opinion because all the client has to do is call Marriott to confirm and again the reservation can be edited so I don't see how this makes it more difficult to rent your unit.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can’t anyone change the primary name on the reservation online without calling? I do it all the time.

As far as cc goes. Why would your cc be on an owner reservation? I’ve never had a method of payment tied to my owner reservations.

Changing the name online can be done for any reservation type except a points reservation. It isn’t just owner reservations that can be changed.

Even if there is a glitch and you can’t change the name you can always call a specific property and they can notate it. Not preferred I know but it shouldn’t be necessary anyway.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can’t anyone change the primary name on the reservation online without calling? I do it all the time.

As far as cc goes. Why would your cc be on an owner reservation? I’ve never had a method of payment tied to my owner reservations.

Changing the name online can be done for any reservation type except a points reservation. It isn’t just owner reservations that can be changed.

Even if there is a glitch and you can’t change the name you can always call a specific property and they can notate it. Not preferred I know but it shouldn’t be necessary anyway.
It often isn't but it can be likely because it's on file. I've even had it tied to exchanges when I deposited in one instance.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It often isn't but it can be likely because it's on file. I've even had it tied to exchanges when I deposited in one instance.

That is interesting. My credit card is not actually on file in my owner account. I don’t think I have ever seen it auto attach at the rewards account level but maybe I missed a time that it did.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you go into Marriott.com to change from your name to your renter's name?

Does it mean that Marriott does not need to be notified?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That is interesting. My credit card is not actually on file in my owner account. I don’t think I have ever seen it auto attach at the rewards account level but maybe I missed a time that it did.
If you see your reservations online at Marriott.com, then your rewards number is attached and if you had your credit card on file with Marriott.com they could potentially tie the reservation back. I don't think you can make a hotel reservation on Marriott.com without a credit card on file?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you see your reservations online at Marriott.com, then your rewards number is attached and if you had your credit card on file with Marriott.com they could potentially tie the reservation back. I don't think you can make a hotel reservation on Marriott.com without a credit card on file?

Agreed but I am referring to an owner reservation that then gets sent to Marriott.com. My credit card is never automatically added to those reservations. If I go into the confirmation the credit card info is blank. I can then add one if I want to but otherwise it stays blank.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can make a hotel reservation on Marriott.com without a credit card on file?

After reading this thread, I was about to remove my CC# from my profile and the page has this info.

Saving credit card information will help expedite your reservation process and is completely optional. You may save up to two credit cards.

You can be assured that your financial information is secure and protected. Only the last 4 digits of your card number, card type and expiration date will be displayed.