• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with deposit - full 3BR or split?

spookykennedy

Reaction score
We have owned a 3BR MGV Gold for a few years and I have only ever deposited the full 3BR with II. This resulted in 2 successful trades into a 3BR at Marriott Maui when we only requested a 2BR. This year we matched with a 2BR at Waiohai. It's time to deposit again and I am wondering if I should be locking it off to trade and if it would really affect the trading value? We always go to Hawaii in early December. It would be nice to have an extra studio with Marriott preference to trade, but our most important trade is getting into Hawaii.

As a side note, when I log into Marriott it looks like I choose II Owner Deposit and then have to do 2 different transactions to split it?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
An intact 3BR is very very powerful in Marriott world. I would believe that puts you at the very top of the heap.

If you need another difficult trade (Waiohai/Maui 2BR) then you may wish to stay with the 3BR deposit.

If you’re looking for an easier trade (Ko Olina or gold season somewhere) then you don’t need all that trade power.

Personally, I’ve never matched a trade to Waiohai even when using good traders so congrats on your current success!

Where do you want to go with this next deposit?

Best,

Greg

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
When I do a "split", I select the unit that I want to reserve. Like the "Master" or the "Guest" unit. Select the date for that particular unit size, select II Owner deposit, and pay the $80 (?) split fee. Then I go back and reserve the other side/unit. There is no split fee on the second transaction.

I think that early December is fairly low demand in Hawaii. So if you are depositing a high-demand MGV week (2 BR) you should probably get your exchange. Having an extra studio is nice. Last fall I used my studio to book Newport Coast (2BR).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned a 3BR MGV Gold for a few years and I have only ever deposited the full 3BR with II. This resulted in 2 successful trades into a 3BR at Marriott Maui when we only requested a 2BR. This year we matched with a 2BR at Waiohai. It's time to deposit again and I am wondering if I should be locking it off to trade and if it would really affect the trading value? We always go to Hawaii in early December. It would be nice to have an extra studio with Marriott preference to trade, but our most important trade is getting into Hawaii.

As a side note, when I log into Marriott it looks like I choose II Owner Deposit and then have to do 2 different transactions to split it?
I too would split it. I doubt the 2BR vs 3BR deposit would make any difference on success, esp for early Dec in HI which is a lower demand time. I'd lock it off selecting a top week and if necessary, pay the lockoff fee and any upgrade fees.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would split it. II has a feature that you can pay and upgrade fee of $79 to get a larger unit, if available. When I had lock out units that is what I did. I have another unit that is a three bedroom non lock out and a lot of the times had to settle for a two bedroom unit, because three bedrooms units were available.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think that early December is fairly low demand in Hawaii. So if you are depositing a high-demand MGV week (2 BR) you should probably get your exchange. Having an extra studio is nice.

I agree -- if you're looking for Hawaii in December, I don't think you need the trading power of the intact 3BR and you will get a good trade with just the 2BR side. Having the extra studio deposit is nice to have.

Best,

Greg

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Since our top priority is getting into MMO or MM1 in a 2 BR we decided to keep the 3BR in tact. We know there would be a lot more 2BR GV to compete with and hopefully the 3BR continues to give us the edge. But maybe one year I will test it and see if there really is a difference.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Since our top priority is getting into MMO or MM1 in a 2 BR we decided to keep the 3BR in tact. We know there would be a lot more 2BR GV to compete with and hopefully the 3BR continues to give us the edge. But maybe one year I will test it and see if there really is a difference.
I think your choice of weeks and depositing early on more important factors than two bedroom versus three bedroom.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two weeks ago I stayed in a 2 BR 3-bath MMO. I exchanged a lower TDI Marriott Canyon Villas 2 BR. I exchanged into a 1 BR and then e-plussed into a 2 BR. So, it can be done.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Two weeks ago I stayed in a 2 BR 3-bath MMO. I exchanged a lower TDI Marriott Canyon Villas 2 BR. I exchanged into a 1 BR and then e-plussed into a 2 BR. So, it can be done.

How much was it to eplus into in 2 BR?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much was it to eplus into in 2 BR?
I eplussed it a couple of week before check in. So there was zero cost to upgrade (other than the original eplus cost). I think that when you are within either 30 or 59 days that the unit upgrade cost goes away.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

With the 2BR portion of my 3BR MGC, I've seen around 20 MMO/MM1 December weeks available for instant exchange since July. Similar to what @Dean stated, this leads me to believe a good 2BR week, deposited early, would get you there in the timeframe you want.