• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how many rentals are RCI exchanges?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I assume that you are not referring to a DVC resort

No.

Mine was a generic answer, as to why owners anywhere would rent for less than their fees. As others have said, that's not unusual.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, okay. I own DVC so was not aware of the RCI resort fee. It sounds like this person is breaking the rules by trying to rent RCI exchanges.
It depends. RCI will allow (semi officially) one to recoup some fees and rent but the only issue is that it's RCI's rule and regardless, those weeks are gone to the rest of the system. Someone would get them on the exchange side so the one being harmed here are simply other RCI exchangers.

Most people who rent out their timeshares do so at breakeven or a loss. SSR is not the most desirable of the DVC collection. I guess this is the most the owner can get, assuming this is not an RCI exchange.
I can't speak for most people but when I rent I'm usually at around double MF or over and I've done that consistently for more than 20 years including DVC, actually starting when I only owned DVC.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No.

Mine was a generic answer, as to why owners anywhere would rent for less than their fees. As others have said, that's not unusual.
DVC is one of the few timeshares that has resale value. If somebody has to rent out the week/points every year due to health, financial or other reasons, it is more rational to sell the deed than to rent at a loss year after year.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone would get them on the exchange side so the one being harmed here are simply other RCI exchangers.

I can't speak for most people but when I rent I'm usually at around double MF or over and I've done that consistently for more than 20 years including DVC, actually starting when I only owned DVC.

Exactly, this is not a victim-less "crime". Aside from RCI members being harmed, the DVC owners are also harmed here. The can't compete in price with those that get them on RCI. There are RCI resorts (like Grandview) where the MF are $420 for a 1bdr, 62,000 points. So theoretically one can get a week at SSR for less than $750.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious if RCI and DVC have been in touch with them. By the way, they also have lots of Sheraton Vistana Resort, Wyndham Bonnet Creek etc, I assume they are also RCI exchanges. Interesting to note, for Sheraton Vistana Resort they differentiate the Fountains faze but none of the others, exactly like RCI (there is a separate resort code for the Fountains faze)

https://www.vacationstrategy.com/pages/our-team

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
DVC is one of the few timeshares that has resale value.

Ah, the truth comes out in bits and pieces. :(

Can you have that added to all sales presentations?

:)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score

They don't even mention it at DVC sales presentations. So I think the answer is no...

People can either do a little homework on the internet, or they can spend thousands on something that will tank in value after they purchase it and probably won't work well for them.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
They don't even mention it at DVC sales presentations.

That's why I said all, to try to make it clear that I was not referring to DVC, the one and only timeshare program that is totally above reproach.

:confused:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

:)
I'm not sure if you're tongue in cheek or this is a serious question. If it's serious then the answer is no because under FL law (and at least many others) they can't make that assertion on sales or rentals. Actually it's part of the POS to the contrary. Plus their actual purpose on the sales side is that you think you can sell or rent but that the options are limited because every time you do so, it's a post sale/rental on the retail side.

I'm not sure I completely agree this hurts DVC members or that it does so inappropriately. RCI does allow rentals within a set of situations at least on a semi formal basis. What they will allow even if you ask them, is to recoup direct costs in terms on exchange fee and guest certificate fees. Done by the letter it'd actually make some rentals lower, not higher. The fact that DVC refuses to confirm directly or speak directly with a renter is likely a bigger negative on the rental side and that's a specific choice they've made.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I said all, to try to make it clear that I was not referring to DVC, the one and only timeshare program that is totally above reproach.

:confused:
I can't agree with this. DVC is just a timeshare, better than many but not better than all. There are things they do well and things they don't but none of this is altruistic on their part.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I can't agree with this. DVC is just a timeshare, better than many but not better than all. There are things they do well and things they don't but none of this is altruistic on their part.

Thank you.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI does allow rentals within a set of situations at least on a semi formal basis. What they will allow even if you ask them, is to recoup direct costs in terms on exchange fee and guest certificate fees.
this company's main business seems to be renting RCI exchanges (DVC, Vistana etc)
https://www.vacationstrategy.com

I am not sure how this kind of business does not hurt the DVC members that try to rent their weeks only to see others renting the same potentially at much lower price.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
this company's main business seems to be renting RCI exchanges (DVC, Vistana etc)

I am not sure how this kind of business does not hurt the DVC members that try to rent their weeks only to see others renting the same potentially at much lower price.
RCI themselves rents exchangers for less in many cases as well. Personally I don't think RCI should allow it but IMO that's between RCI and their members. It doesn't harm DVC members in the whole and the ONLY way to suggest there is any harm is by reducing rental rates which is has not done. The volume isn't enough to worry about, apparently not enough for RCI to worry about either. IF if bothers anyone the people to contact would be RCI.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
since i have no doubt that RCI reads these forums, i am curious if they will close the account for this company. If they do not do it, by tolerating it, they invite other people and companies do the same and at that point the volume does become a bigger problem. I am not sure i agree with you that the current volume is not a problem, even if this company rents only 20 per year, that means that 20 owners did not get to rent their week.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
since i have no doubt that RCI reads these forums, i am curious if they will close the account for this company. If they do not do it, by tolerating it, they invite other people and companies do the same and at that point the volume does become a bigger problem. I am not sure i agree with you that the current volume is not a problem, even if this company rents only 20 per year, that means that 20 owners did not get to rent their week.
They have been alerted many times about this and similar companies as well as the basic process. I doubt any owner would miss a rental due to this issue as the demand has historically out paced the supply even in 2009/2010 though it was tougher there and % wise it's a very small number. I can honestly say I've never reduced my prices based on having trouble renting. I have had a couple where a renter backed out or I decide to rent later where the lead time was less so I priced those slightly less than I would have otherwise. I had my first rental in 1995 which included free passes and since about 2000 to 2001 almost all of my stays and essentially all but one of my longer stays have been on exchanges. Is staying in the exchange and renting the points really any different?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
you are not advocating people breaking the rules, are you?
there is no doubt in my mind that, even in limited number, these illegitimate rentals do have some impact on some prices and on some owners trying to rent. In the end, if you were given the choice, would you pay $1300 or $2000 for seemingly the same booking?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
would you pay $1300 or $2000 for seemingly the same booking?

Is there a "neither" choice?

(Yes, tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, but, all-the-same, my choice)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
you are not advocating people breaking the rules, are you?
there is no doubt in my mind that, even in limited number, these illegitimate rentals do have some impact on some prices and on some owners trying to rent. In the end, if you were given the choice, would you pay $1300 or $2000 for seemingly the same booking?
No and I wouldn't rent an exchange but I'm making the point it's RCI's rules and that in reality it doesn't affect the general membership. So you could make the point that they are doing those renters a favor giving them access to lower cost rentals, in some cases, where they wouldn't be able to stay at DVC otherwise. Isn't saving money the entire purpose of a timeshare, otherwise just stay at a resort or condo with cash.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think that RCI is at a loss as well. Many times I have seen on social media people complaining about not finding anything in RCI. If some of these weeks are scooped for commercial purposes, there is just less for other members. Some will find other exchanges but others may just cancel their memberships after a while.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i think that RCI is at a loss as well. Many times I have seen on social media people complaining about not finding anything in RCI. If some of these weeks are scooped for commercial purposes, there is just less for other members. Some will find other exchanges but others may just cancel their memberships after a while.
As I noted above, RCI members are the ones that are losing out. Personally I think they should stop it and that's from one who does rent. But not because I feel it hurts me when I rent (which is occasionally), I don't think it affects me at all, but because I think they should follow their own rules but it is their rules. They will semi officially allow renting depending on the charges but if you read their rules, it should all be against the rules even just recouping direct costs as it is with II. I'll admit I'm a rule follower and believe that situational ethics (like going over occupancy or having a pet without permission) is something I can't agree with. It would be almost impossible for RCI to prevent all renting but it would be easy to stop those doing it on any level of scale.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

Perhaps to some my comments have been less than transparent, tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, or whatever, but this is the same issue that began when Cendant bought RCI from Christel DeHaan in 1995, and they immediately began renting inventory that had been deposited by members in the exchange pool, which precipitated the Class-action lawsuit in 2006:

A class action lawsuit against RCI was pursued by Green Welling LLP on behalf of RCI Weeks Program members in New Jersey of 2006. The Plaintiff alleged that RCI actually rents out the most desirable and highly demanded vacation weeks from the spacebank, thus depleting the most desirable options available to Weeks Program members who seek exchanges.

Although settled in favor of the plaintiffs, it served to legitimize the practice of renting member's deposit, undermining the exclusivity and expense of timeshare ownership.

I could be wrong, but, to me, that appears to be what you are getting at, something that has been SOP for at least ten years.

But, then, I could be wrong.

:cool:
- - - - - -
Generally speaking, for most weeks, there's a whole lot more supply than demand. Looking at it from the pure corporate view, if you've got something that you can get a couple hundred bucks for (or maybe nothing at all), or you can get $300, $400, $500, $800, well, the decision makes itself. Of course, you have to just ignore the implied promises made to owners.

Over time, I have come to appreciate, and embrace, being able to rent stuff for a lot less than maintenance fees and/or exchange fees. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow, and take advantage of what is.

Last edited:

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score

Those devils have 2 bedrooms Aulani with the $190 fee. Well, at least we know that Aulani is being deposited in RCI. This LLC must have some well-aged OGSs.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.vacationstrategy.com/pages/faq
according to this page:

"When will the resort have my name? Will I have a confirmation number?
Your villa will be pulled from Wyndham, Marriott or any of our other vendors immediately upon deposit. The name on the reservation will be in the name of the owner at the time of booking. Your name will be assigned to the unit at about 15 days before check in. This is structured in a way so that we may offer a cancellation policy that works for our owners as well as our clients. There is no need for a confirmation number, the resort only requires a photo ID to check in."

Of course, if you are an owner and book for a guest, the resort will have the names right away. I think only Interval and RCI wait until 2 weeks before the check in to send the names to the resort. Maybe someone can confirm, I am not sure about this