• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

possible scam alert

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Having posted in Tugs for sale, I received a response and an offer. (redacted)

1- I will be willing to pay $x,000 for your timeshare, closing will commence as soon as possible.

2- I am hearing impaired in both ears and as a result, I will doing all closing formalities through my broker. I will be responsible for the closing cost and title transfer fees along with my broker fees.

3- Closing will be handled through XXXX American title transfer(www.xxxam.com/title ) who would work with your home resort directly and funds will be held in Escrow during closing. Purchase contract will be prepared and sent to buyer and seller for perusal and signature from title company. Title company would provide all closing steps and guidance subsequently.
First let me say that in no way do I associate this with the title company named, they are legitimate.
For some reason, my scam antenna went up with the offer. I did some searches, and found many postings of similar sounding scams. One typical is below.

--------Received an email from LaToya Brown inquiring about my timeshare for sale. Claimed she was hearing impaired and would be using her broker at First American Title to handle escrow account and closing. Sent her a contract for sale, after not hearing from her decided to google her phone number (619) 648 0812. It also came up as a scam for Eileen Hayes and other names, all scam rip-offs. BEWARE. She used her email ltbrown1900 and 1901 @ gmail.com.----- one of several scams.

I hesitate to name the person/email, who made the offer since there was not deal, no attempt to get money or ownership or points from me, as there was no deal.

Has anyone else been contacted with offers from "hearing impaired" buyers? Was curious what their end game is? How do scammers get your money?

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Wise to have searched for similar offers.
Smells like a duck. Probably is a duck.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Known scammer “hearing impaired”, reported many times here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
+1 This is a known scammer. To protect other Tuggers, you should post their contact info, so they can be blocked from TUG (again.)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and another reminder that ANYONE can contact you thru your ads in the marketplace. the messaging system is not limited to TUG members.

and yes please provide the email address and we will gladly block it.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having posted in Tugs for sale, I received a response and an offer. (redacted)

1- I will be willing to pay $x,000 for your timeshare, closing will commence as soon as possible.

2- I am hearing impaired in both ears and as a result, I will doing all closing formalities through my broker. I will be responsible for the closing cost and title transfer fees along with my broker fees.

3- Closing will be handled through XXXX American title transfer(www.xxxam.com/title ) who would work with your home resort directly and funds will be held in Escrow during closing. Purchase contract will be prepared and sent to buyer and seller for perusal and signature from title company. Title company would provide all closing steps and guidance subsequently.
First let me say that in no way do I associate this with the title company named, they are legitimate.
For some reason, my scam antenna went up with the offer. I did some searches, and found many postings of similar sounding scams. One typical is below.

--------Received an email from LaToya Brown inquiring about my timeshare for sale. Claimed she was hearing impaired and would be using her broker at First American Title to handle escrow account and closing. Sent her a contract for sale, after not hearing from her decided to google her phone number (619) 648 0812. It also came up as a scam for Eileen Hayes and other names, all scam rip-offs. BEWARE. She used her email ltbrown1900 and 1901 @ gmail.com.----- one of several scams.

I hesitate to name the person/email, who made the offer since there was not deal, no attempt to get money or ownership or points from me, as there was no deal.

Has anyone else been contacted with offers from "hearing impaired" buyers? Was curious what their end game is? How do scammers get your money?

STAY AWAY from it. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Knowing full well this is a scam, one time I let it go to see how it went. It got to the point where I told him that I did not need any up front "earnest money" from him. I was content to let the funds go through an escrow account, and I requested which office of First American would be doing the escrow so that I could be sure the escrow instructions were proper. He insisted that he needed to send the earnest money, that he had bought many timeshares and that was how it was done.

I replied that I have bought and sold numerous timeshares, am quite familiar with the process, and I know that earnest money is not needed. I then added the IP trace on his message and showed that he was actually located in Africe, not wherever in the US he was claiming to be. Needless to say, I never heard from him again.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was curious what their end game is? How do scammers get your money?

According to similar posts here on TUG, the idea behind this scam is to get the seller (in this case, you) all excited about a lucrative offer for your TS. Then in the e-mail, the person will tell you to forward the commission to his broker after he sends you the purchase amount.

You can find posts like this if you enter Samuel Kaplan into TUG's search function.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
According to similar posts here on TUG, the idea behind this scam is to get the seller (in this case, you) all excited about a lucrative offer for your TS. Then in the e-mail, the person will tell you to forward the commission to his broker after he sends you the purchase amount.

You can find posts like this if you enter Samuel Kaplan into TUG's search function.

And you deposit that check which is more than the selling price. They ask you to send the difference to their “broker” for their commission. You do that and a week or two later the check bounces as fraudulent.

You are out bank fees, the amount you sent to the broker and you still own your timeshare.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
How about cashing the check at a check cashing service? Or ask for a Certified Guaranteed check from a major Bank. Do not put it in your checking account.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about cashing the check at a check cashing service? Or ask for a Certified Guaranteed check from a major Bank. Do not put it in your checking account.

A check cashing service is too smart to cash it, and even if they do you are still on the hook for it.

And the buyer won't be sending any Certified Guaranteed Checks. By the way, do they have any major banks in the middle of Africa?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I believe that most people who fall victims to this type of fraud is from their greed not their ignorance!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that most people who fall victims to this type of fraud is from their greed not their ignorance!

Yes, greed has something to do with it. I think ignorance does play a small part, though. One reason why people fall for this scam as well as the upfront fee resale scam is that they are either ignorant or delusional (or even both) about the genuine resale value of their TS. After all, assuming an owner bought at one of those sales presentations, wasn't the buyer convinced that the property would hold its resale value, or even increase in resale value? What knowledgeable person would knowingly pay tens of thousands of dollars for something that, a couple weeks later, would be worth about zero dollars?