• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A Tale of 2 Hawaii Marriott Unit Assignments

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
We're on the tail end of back-to-back exchange weeks in Hawaii. We spent one week at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club, and are on our final day at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. Our experience and unit assignments were vastly different.

Let me first say, happiness is being in Hawaii! I know exchangers are at the bottom of the pecking order when getting an assigned unit. I also (now) realize none of the following matter, but wanted to list them: I’m a Marriott owner, Lifetime Titanium (from hotel stays, not TS ownership), and I informed both resorts that we were celebrating DW’s 50th birthday (Hawaii 5-0 birthday?) when the pre-arrival email was sent. I would have thought the combination may have put us near the top of the bottom; I was wrong.

We checked into Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club on Easter Sunday. At check-in, I was informed we were in Hale Moana. When I asked about moving to a different Hale, I was told it was not possible. When we arrived in our room, we realized we received the worst view in the entire resort. It was the 5th floor parking garage view in Hale Moana. Okay, one floor down was the absolute worst, but I’m very surprised we were put there, given my ownership and lifetime status (again I realize exchangers are at the bottom of the priority list). We spent enough time outside the room, touring and/or time on the grounds, that we didn’t have to deal with the view often, but it would have been nice to start and end the day with a decent “mountain” view. I expressed my disappointment with the staff when we checked out. I probably should have expressed it to management, but we were there on an exchange…and I was happy to be in Hawaii.

In contrast, Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club welcomed us with birthday cookies, and upgraded us from an Island View in Hale Five to an Ocean View in Hale Four. The upgraded view was definitely not expected, but absolutely welcomed. While Hale Four is at the back of the property, we were centrally located and were able to see the ocean straight ahead! When I met the general manager, I expressed my appreciation for our check-in rep. Needless to say, we were very pleased with the unit, and will be forever grateful to our check-in rep. I’ve attached a picture from our balcony at Waiohai.

Attachments

• Waiohai-Hale_Four-Balcony.jpg
    Waiohai-Hale_Four-Balcony.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 163

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the sharing. :)
Can you post the Ko Olina room view as well?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Thanks for the sharing. :)
Can you post the Ko Olina room view as well?
It was so awful, I didn't take a picture of it. It was the first time that I didn't take a pic!

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
On a positive note, at least you had the crappy view first. I think it would have been worse to start out with a view and end with with none. You also got two back to back weeks in Hawaii on school vacation time (Easter week is spring break here). Hope you had a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
On a positive note, at least you had the crappy view first. I think it would have been worse to start out with a view and end with with none. You also got two back to back weeks in Hawaii on school vacation time (Easter week is spring break here). Hope you had a blast!
We did. I'm starting another thread in the Hawaii TS section with pictures from our drives, sunset cruise, and helicopter ride while on Kauai. I'll try to do it before I have to bring my parents to the airport. If not, I'll post after we get home tomorrow.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It was so awful, I didn't take a picture of it. It was the first time that I didn't take a pic!

Just curious if all parking lot views at Ko Olina look the same :ponder:

Here’s the photos I previously posted from Nai’a Tower. Lol, I hope it doesn’t get any worst than this. :(

Here's the mountain view (aka parking deck view) from the two bedroom on the 3rd floor of the Hale Nai'a Tower. It faces directly into the Valet Parking area.

34527254936_93192bb269_z_d.jpg

34406537322_595a30a033_z_d.jpg

33725456004_2bb9abc3bb_z_d.jpg

34438036981_c13daa4703_z_d.jpg

34527238776_1ea60bd00a_z_d.jpg

We also walked around outside on the parking deck.

34155514373_7381cd0613_c.jpg

34155513253_06d1d07436_c.jpg

34925416796_dd731cedc8_c.jpg

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Just curious if all parking lot views at Ko Olina look the same :ponder:

Here’s the photos I previously posted from Nai’a Tower. Lol, I hope it doesn’t get any worst than this. :(

We also walked around outside on the parking deck.
Our view wasn't that bad. I had a 5th floor Nai'a Tower parking garage view, but it was an excellent view. Partial ocean view, marina, parking lot, and mountain all in one.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Our view wasn't that bad. I had a 5th floor Nai'a Tower parking garage view, but it was an excellent view. Partial ocean view, marina, parking lot, and mountain all in one.

Sorry, I’m confused.
Are you talking about your most recent visit or the last time you stayed in the Nai’a Tower on a higher floor?

You previously wrote “When we arrived in our room, we realized we received the worst view in the entire resort. It was the 5th floor parking garage view in Hale Moana. Okay, one floor down was the absolute worst, but I’m very surprised we were put there, given my ownership and lifetime status (again I realize exchangers are at the bottom of the priority list).

Was your low floor Hale Moana view similar? What was your II view code for the low floor in the Hale Moana? The room view I posted had a II mountain view code of HTOVI.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Sorry, I’m confused.
Are you talking about your most recent visit or the last time you stayed in the Nai’a Tower on a higher floor?

You previously wrote “When we arrived in our room, we realized we received the worst view in the entire resort. It was the 5th floor parking garage view in Hale Moana. Okay, one floor down was the absolute worst, but I’m very surprised we were put there, given my ownership and lifetime status (again I realize exchangers are at the bottom of the priority list).

Was your low floor Hale Moana view similar? What was your II view code for the low floor in the Hale Moana? The room view I posted had a II mountain view code of HTOVI.
My original post was for my most recent visit; Hale Moana 5th floor "mountain" view. When I saw you stayed at Hale Nai'a, I referenced a previous stay we had in Hale Nai'a. My low floor Hale Moana was in between my Hale Nai'a view and yours. Both of my referenced views were HTOVI. Here's a pic I posted on a different thread that shows my Nai'a 5th floor view: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/ko-olina-mountain-view.273906/#post-2139260

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
We did. I'm starting another thread in the Hawaii TS section with pictures from our drives, sunset cruise, and helicopter ride while on Kauai. I'll try to do it before I have to bring my parents to the airport. If not, I'll post after we get home tomorrow.
Here's a link to the thread I referenced.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/april-2019-trip-to-kauai.289726/

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I have read the original post and my question is what is the problem or are you just comparing the differences. You state you know exchangers don’t get the best views, but you complain because you don’t get the best view. You compare two different types of properties which are like apples and oranges. Ko Olina has tall towers and Waiohai has all shorter buildings because Kauai does not allow tall buildings. The grounds at Waiohai are just different. Heck, it’s Kauai!

Perhaps one had more flexibility with rooms than the other. Perhaps owners get priority. Lifetime Titanium means nothing at the timeshares so why even bring that up. If you are talking hotels, then it’s a factor. You should have used points and gotten an ocean view if that is what you truly wanted.

Now, they could have recognized the birthday. That could and should have been recognized.

Like you stated, “happiness is being in Hawaii”. Enjoy it! Don’t be unnecessarily upset over something that you cannot control and don’t have expectations for something that you already knew may not happen. Just my .02 cents.

Don’t worry be happy

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I have read the original post and my question is what is the problem or are you just comparing the differences. You state you know exchangers don’t get the best views, but you complain because you don’t get the best view. You compare two different types of properties which are like apples and oranges. Ko Olina has tall towers and Waiohai has all shorter buildings because Kauai does not allow tall buildings. The grounds at Waiohai are just different. Heck, it’s Kauai!

Perhaps one had more flexibility with rooms than the other. Perhaps owners get priority. Lifetime Titanium means nothing at the timeshares so why even bring that up. If you are talking hotels, then it’s a factor. You should have used points and gotten an ocean view if that is what you truly wanted.

Now, they could have recognized the birthday. That could and should have been recognized.

Like you stated, “happiness is being in Hawaii”. Enjoy it! Don’t be unnecessarily upset over something that you cannot control and don’t have expectations for something that you already knew may not happen. Just my .02 cents.

Don’t worry be happy
I didn't complain about not getting the best view, and I never stated I was upset. Disappointed the view wasn't better (within mountain view)? Yes, but not upset. I was happy that I could be in Hawaii, and we enjoyed it tremendously. I was also happy that my parents were there with us. I realize we checked into Ko Olina on Easter Sunday and that plenty of owners were there.

Like the title of my thread states, I was comparing unit assignments, not the actual properties. Owners definitely get priority, and I would expect that if I owned there.

It's not only Kauai, but the Aloha spirit was alive and well at Waiohai.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

Don’t worry be happy

I didn't see any place where the OP was complaining about the view, nor did the OP state he was upset. Sounds like he was just describing the vast differences in room assignments at the two resorts he stayed at.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Lucky you did not get what I consider the worst view. Hale Moana 1st floor island view looks into a stone wall. You are one floor below the main pool exit so you are in what I call the dungeon villas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Lucky you did not get what I consider the worst view. Hale Moana 1st floor island view looks into a stone wall. You are one floor below the main pool exit so you are in what I call the dungeon villas.

How true. Makes you appreciate the parking lot views.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe a little off topic.
I know OP was posting about exchanges.
But does anyone have experience getting parking lot views that are classified as mountain or island when they book those views with vacation club points?
I’m getting ready to book a big HI trip with points and trying to decide on spending the points for views.
Thanks-
And congrats on Hawaii 5-0 OP, I did that too!

Last edited:

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You were lucky. I got this worse room- Hale Moana 1st floor island view looks into a stone wall. Luckily after the first night, we were able to change into a higher floor. We did arrive very late at night due to a late plane flight so they might have given our assigned room to someone else.
I am a little worried as I have an II exchange into the Maui Marriott Napili Building Island View Unit and will not be arriving till the day after my exchange starts, so will probably wind up in a lower floor room even though I requested a high floor.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We had a ground floor room in Naia and it had several cochroaches. We looked out at the employee parking lot although we could see the marina in the distance.

When we requested to move they only had the ground floor units behind the pool slide. All you would hear is kids screaming. They seem like in a hole with no views. We opted to stay where we were because it was quieter. They fumigated the entire floor.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The only time we’ve had what I’d consider a “bad” view was when we went to Scottsdale at the height of Cactus League baseball season. We had a lovely view of a wall. However, this was during very high owner occupancy season so, owners get the better view and exchangers, regardless of status, get what’s left over.
Recently at Maui Ocean Club we were in high season but had reserved ocean front using points. We were still on the lowest level and definitely far from a premium ocean front view. But, it was February with what I’m certain was a high owner occupancy time (based on the difficulty of getting our view preference compared to other months).
Sometimes it just comes down to timing and how many owners are staying on their time as to the quality of view.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We just got back from Ko Olina ourselves. We were in Hale Moana, also, and had a view of the mountain, 9th floor penthouse, units 901 and 903. There was a bit of an ocean view but only of a shipyard where the ships get raised and repaired. It was such a gorgeous place, also an exchange, and I was very pleased with our unit. Our daughter-in-law's folks own at Ko Olina and bought years ago. Our daughter-in-law adores Ko Olina. I understand it.

Our friends and their children and grandchildren were in the same building, 1st floor, view of a wall that surrounds their lanai. They had a wedding to attend, and it was just nice to be there with the family. We live just six miles away from one another, but we rarely see them. I guess Hawaii is our ohana place. I loved seeing the kids at the pool. The girls had such a great time.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're on the tail end of back-to-back exchange weeks in Hawaii. We spent one week at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club, and are on our final day at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club. Our experience and unit assignments were vastly different.

Let me first say, happiness is being in Hawaii! I know exchangers are at the bottom of the pecking order when getting an assigned unit. I also (now) realize none of the following matter, but wanted to list them: I’m a Marriott owner, Lifetime Titanium (from hotel stays, not TS ownership), and I informed both resorts that we were celebrating DW’s 50th birthday (Hawaii 5-0 birthday?) when the pre-arrival email was sent. I would have thought the combination may have put us near the top of the bottom; I was wrong.

We checked into Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club on Easter Sunday. At check-in, I was informed we were in Hale Moana. When I asked about moving to a different Hale, I was told it was not possible. When we arrived in our room, we realized we received the worst view in the entire resort. It was the 5th floor parking garage view in Hale Moana. Okay, one floor down was the absolute worst, but I’m very surprised we were put there, given my ownership and lifetime status (again I realize exchangers are at the bottom of the priority list). We spent enough time outside the room, touring and/or time on the grounds, that we didn’t have to deal with the view often, but it would have been nice to start and end the day with a decent “mountain” view. I expressed my disappointment with the staff when we checked out. I probably should have expressed it to management, but we were there on an exchange…and I was happy to be in Hawaii.

In contrast, Marriott’s Waiohai Beach Club welcomed us with birthday cookies, and upgraded us from an Island View in Hale Five to an Ocean View in Hale Four. The upgraded view was definitely not expected, but absolutely welcomed. While Hale Four is at the back of the property, we were centrally located and were able to see the ocean straight ahead! When I met the general manager, I expressed my appreciation for our check-in rep. Needless to say, we were very pleased with the unit, and will be forever grateful to our check-in rep. I’ve attached a picture from our balcony at Waiohai.
I'm not sure why you would have mentioned it to management. It was an exchange and you got the view deposited if I'm understanding correctly. Status with either MVC or Bonvoy is not part of the hierarchy equation. I know for a fact that Ko Olina is very hard line on giving the exact view type of the deposit and in giving owners there first dibs even if it meant moving you to worse room on day of arrival.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I'm not sure why you would have mentioned it to management. It was an exchange and you got the view deposited if I'm understanding correctly. Status with either MVC or Bonvoy is not part of the hierarchy equation. I know for a fact that Ko Olina is very hard line on giving the exact view type of the deposit and in giving owners there first dibs even if it meant moving you to worse room on day of arrival.

I completely agree that owners should get the better views within the category. I wasn't disappointed with the view category; I got the view I exchanged into.

In the end, I'm fairly certain I underestimated the number of owners there and I definitely underestimated the number of worse views based on the responses here.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely agree that owners should get the better views within the category. I wasn't disappointed with the view category; I got the view I exchanged into.

In the end, I'm fairly certain I underestimated the number of owners there and I definitely underestimated the number worse views based on the responses here.
When we were there this past summer the percentage of owners using was significantly more than the usual according to management. The percentage of nonuser weeks was roughly half the usual as reported.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

As I understand it, at most resorts status is part of the hierarchy for villa placement but, it's still within the view booked. So if the vast majority of reservations for that particular view are occupied by owners staying on their own time, even the strongest ownership tier will get what's left over after the lowest of owners staying on their time, regardless of that owners tier standing with MVC has been placed. IOW, you can be the strongest in line for the best view in a category and still get skunked if you're the only one in that category and everyone else is in a category above you.

I see this at Ocean Pointe from time to time when we are there. We're careful to book as far out as possible and generally get very good unit placement. I've also been at the desk when a non-owner with super elite status is torked because they were placed in a low floor ocean side unit. The problem for them is, owners are in a category above them, even it they only own one silver season week and, Ocean Pointe use to have very high owner occupancy. So, the super elite status only afforded them the best available location from a very small pool of villa's due to owners getting their preference filled first.

Status does help, but only if there's no one that owns at the resort ahead of you.

As explained to me a long time ago (short list)
1. Owners on their time
1a) Owners on their time with higher status or multiple week owners at the resort
1b) Single week owners
2) Owners of the resort not on their own time but exchanging back in
2a) Using their owned week to exchange back in
2b) Using a non-MVC week to exchange back in
3) Marriott exchangers sorted by status
4) All other exchangers

I have been in all of these category's with MVC and have seen our unit placement affected accordingly. What's affected it the most has always been the popularity of the season and the percentage of owners staying on their owned time. Some resorts more so than others as they are purchased strictly to use and never to exchange. With Hawaii, I can't imagine someone purchasing a week with the intent to exchange, so my assumption is I'll never get the "great" view regardless of when we travel.

Somewhere in the equation are trust points and enrolled points. I've never asked anyone to explain the hierarchy of points nor do I really care that much at this point in our ownership lives. With points I book a view category and assume that I'll get the least favored view for that category. I'm always pleased when it's better than the least favored view but not disappointed when it's not.

Last edited:

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
I’ll be there in July, curious if I can request anything ahead of time like I did when we exchanged into Marriott Newport Coast?