• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Titanium Elite

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I automatically upgraded now if available? I do have 6 suite awards. Do I need to use these now?

Thanks, wifey gone on trip for a couple days. Want to make sure she gets a bigger room.
JT

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They make it seem that way with the suite nights but I don't know what those do for us because I had 10 offered recently and it didn't do anything for me so definitely not automatic in any sense.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I automatically upgraded now if available? I do have 6 suite awards. Do I need to use these now?

Thanks, wifey gone on trip for a couple days. Want to make sure she gets a bigger room.
JT

It's not automatic. You have to request the SNA when booking and it should be done a minimum of 6 days before arrival (I think they award at 5 days before arrival).

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score

JT
I think some of the answers are combining your two questions.
In theory you should be automatically upgraded. In practice, there are a lot more Titaniums than you would think so chances are not good if you are somewhere popular. I did get upgraded to a two bedroom suite on a stay at a Category 1 Townplace Suites but other than that usually just view or slightly larger room.

If it is someplace that matters and you want to make sure, than use your awards.

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. My wife staying at a residence inn mid week. I will take her chances and hope to be upgraded and not burn a SNA.

JT

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Check what types of rooms are available at the Residence Inn she'll be staying at. When I have stayed at a Residence Inn in the past, they haven't had suites.

SNAs are for suite upgrades. Personally, if the Residence Inn doesn't have suites available, I wouldn't apply them at that hotel.

Remember that SNAs do expire, likely at the end of the year. They're a nice benefit (and I've had decent success with them at international locations), so you'd hate to let them go unused.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe you can even apply a SNA to a Residence Inn or a Courtyard.
“Not all Participating Properties participate in Suite Night Awards. Suite Night Awards are not redeemable at the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton, The Ritz-Carlton Reserve, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, EDITION, Protea Hotels, Aloft, Element, Design HotelsTM, all-Suite Hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments, ExecuStay, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club properties and Vistana properties. In addition, Suite Night Awards are not redeemable at select Participating Properties. Contact a Customer Engagement Center for individual Participating Property Suite Night Award participation.”

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe you can even apply a SNA to a Residence Inn or a Courtyard.

I think it actually depends on a particular Residence Inn or Courtyard.

I have applied some SNA awards to an upcoming reservation at a specific Residence Inn. They gave me the chance at three offerings: (1) Studio Corner Unit with I assume more windows, (2) One Bedroom Unit , (3) Two Bedroom Unit.

So they do exist. If I don't get upgraded then all I get is an ordinary standard studio sized unit.

Here's hoping that I get either the one bedroom or two bedroom sized unit instead.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have applied some SNA awards to an upcoming reservation at a specific Residence Inn. They gave me the chance at three offerings: (1) Studio Corner Unit with I assume more windows, (2) One Bedroom Unit , (3) Two Bedroom Unit.

So they do exist. If I don't get upgraded then all I get is an ordinary standard studio sized unit.

Here's hoping that I get either the one bedroom or two bedroom sized unit instead.

Recently I booked using points for a room at a Residence Inn. For the same amount of points, it offered both 1BR and 2BR/2BA options. I picked the 2BR/2BA. I made 2 reservations at this hotel. The first one I could simply apply points to it while the second one was for 5 nights and I had to ask guest services to apply my (partial) hotel certificate. The agent was surprised that it did not require more points. He put me on hold and called the hotel directly and was told that the 2BR/2BA required standard redemption value before he attached my certificate.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score

Let's say that you arrive with a hope to get (what you think) is an upgrade. But it doesn't happen. Can you then request to use the SNA if that improves your chances of getting that upgrade?

My question is this: can you ask the SNA be applied on check-in or has that opportunity passed?

Reactions: JT

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Let's say that you arrive with a hope to get (what you think) is an upgrade. But it doesn't happen. Can you then request to use the SNA if that improves your chances of getting that upgrade?
My question is this: can you ask the SNA be applied on check-in or has that opportunity passed?

Don't know the answer, but if you have one in your account, and the upgraded room IS available, why would, or should, they deny it?
(In reality, they should have already applied it if an SNA had been requested, and also when your status is such that you get one anyway, aside from any SNA.)
My feeling is that it is something you SHOULD get, no question.

I'll seek the answer myself in case that happens at check-in, since I get 10 SNAs annually.

Last edited:

JT

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I told my wife. She will ask for the upgrade. If they deny then ask if she can use a SNA. I will check to see that day if a 1bd suite or 2bd available.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score

There would be no need to use SNA. The SNA is to guarantee the upgrade before arrival. If one still exists, then T&C says you get it as an Platinum or higher elite.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
You cannot request the SNA while checking in at the hotel, it must be done prior to check in when making the reservation or on the App. The hotel can see the request but the SNA process is automatic above the property.

Last edited:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Sometimes you have to, uh, complain loudly (otherwise known as bitch).

We used an SNA at an international JW Marriott. I got the email 5 days before that the suite upgrade was approved. At check in, the front desk agent offered a whopping upgrade from a standard room to a "deluxe" standard room. I objected, saying that we had been approved for a suite upgrade. After a few minutes, she finally spoke to a supervisor. We were then placed in a junior suite.

Reactions: jme

4Sunsets

Reaction score
When you use your SNA, the process asks you to specify the type of room you want to upgrade too. So if you said, okay I'll take a deluxe as an upgrade it's what you get.

With Marriott, if you want a nice room, pay for the nice room, then ask for an upgrade to an even nice room using SNA. Otherwise you will be greatly disappointed.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
When you use your SNA, the process asks you to specify the type of room you want to upgrade too.

In my experience, sometimes. This hasn't always been the case.

We have an SNA pending for a domestic (USA) Marriott. I do remember selecting the room types that would be acceptable to us.

But we've placed SNAs for a few international properties and I don't recall getting that screen.

Jon Maiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reservation at a residence inn in Nashville and it does give me the option to use an upgrade.
I also have a reservation for the Residence Inn in Bethany Beach. I have a SNA request in to get upgraded from a City View Studio to an Oceanfront Studio. It will be nice if we get the better view, if not we're still okay with the City View.

What is considered an upgrade varies a lot by property. I have seen everything from corner rooms to true suites as options. What is a reasonable use of SNA is a matter of personal preference. Being a classic Marriott guy versus Starwood, this is my first year trying to use SNA's. We will see how it goes....

--Jon

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I also have a reservation for the Residence Inn in Bethany Beach. I have a SNA request in to get upgraded from a City View Studio to an Oceanfront Studio. It will be nice if we get the better view, if not we're still okay with the City View.

What is considered an upgrade varies a lot by property. I have seen everything from corner rooms to true suites as options. What is a reasonable use of SNA is a matter of personal preference. Being a classic Marriott guy versus Starwood, this is my first year trying to use SNA's. We will see how it goes....

--Jon

Exactly, and well said.
I've found it necessary to call the front desk of any hotel at which I'm considering using an SNA.
They, and they only, know the details of each of their rooms.
That's because, as you say, the rooms can vary significantly from hotel to hotel, even within the same brands
like Residence Inns and Courtyards.

And it seems the newer-construction hotels within the same brand have the widest variance.
Some have nice upgrades, and some may only have the next highest level as "a room closer to an elevator" (lol).
If some have little variance to speak of (no larger sizes, no suites, etc), even the VIEWS can make a difference.
I'm using a few SNAs in Boston this year, and having stayed there before,
I know the view types can range from "nice" to "very nice", and the very nice can certainly make a stay more enjoyable.
Getting an upgrade to a SUITE anywhere would always be the goal, but they are not always available, but still, calling is the thing!

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I don't like is that some properties have suites, but don't make them available for the SNA. I'm finding SNA to be worth very little. The normal old Titanium upgrades were working just fine to me and still have been good even with the SNAs,

4Sunsets

Reaction score
In my experience, sometimes. This hasn't always been the case.

We have an SNA pending for a domestic (USA) Marriott. I do remember selecting the room types that would be acceptable to us.

But we've placed SNAs for a few international properties and I don't recall getting that screen.

So far, we've got the screen every time, as long as the hotel HAS SUITES. If the hotel doesn't have suites, you are wasting your time and SNA.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
What I don't like is that some properties have suites, but don't make them available for the SNA. I'm finding SNA to be worth very little. The normal old Titanium upgrades were working just fine to me and still have been good even with the SNAs,

Don't make them available... or worse, they cancel your reservation entirely if they accidentally assign you a pricey suite... Happened to us :(

YES, the old system was much better. We've been lifetime platinum a long time. Everything got diluted during the merger and when they essentially made golds and silvers also platinum. Now after the merge as Titanium, we're seeing less and less benefit to our loyalty. After 25, well actually 29 years, we are actually looking at moving on from Marriott completely.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I stayed at the Key West Marriott Beachside. I put in for a SNA. The only option to pick for the SNA was a 2 bedroom. It was my wife and I so I emailed asking can we upgrade to a 1 bedroom. The SNA is only for a 2br at this hotel. The SNA was put back in my account. I was given a 3 br, 3 bathroom, dinning room table for 8, kitchen and washer/dryer. It was a waste so I called and asked if we can exchange for a 1 bedroom. I was told my only options were my original reservation or the 3 bedroom. I thought it was a waste but decided it wasn't once I found out they put chocolate in each bedroom.

Last edited: