• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble Brewing For Hilton Hawaiian Village (Strike Action)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, it is true. The hotel union reps in Hawaii are really causing trouble. Last year Marriott workers went on strike and caused a lot of problems for tourist and the hotels. They were out of work for a long time, but they did get a nice pay raise out of it. The Mayor was down there and on TV promoting the strike saying “One Job should be enough”. Now the hotel unions are making a strong push to shut down all Air BnB rentals that are not in resort areas. The city council has been holding hearings about once or twice a month to allow the public to speak. But a lot of union workers are showing up and pushing their cause that they are loosing business. A vote will be held next week on the matter and 1000s of Air BnB vacation rentals will have to stop. The question is when and how many will shut down and cause tourist to stay in a hotel. Oahu hotels are already 80 percent full during the off season and 95 percent full during the busy season. So after the new regulations go into affect, except hotels to be 100 percent full and prices to go up. The workers will get bigger wages and better benefits. Take your vacation soon before it gets expensive.

Hopefully Hilton agrees to match what Marriott workers are getting and that everyone will be happy. But the unions are on a roll and might want more. By the way, I am not anti union. I was the Chairman of the Alpa Safety Committee for years and know that unions have a place, but there comes a time when greed gets excessive. We will soon see what happens.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
From StarAdvertiser

Unite Here Local 5 members at Hilton Hawaiian Village voted Friday to authorize a strike with 91% in favor of it.

The strike authorization comes after weeks of negotiations with Hilton for a contract covering 1,700 Hilton Hawaiian Village hotel workers. Workers complained that the company is not yet addressing key issues specific to the hotel.

Some of the key issues in contract negotiations are the excessive workload and poverty wages that specifically impact the workers at the timeshare towers, according to Local 5.

In November, hotel owner Kyo-ya, which owns the Marriott-managed Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian Hotel, Westin Moana Surfrider, Sheraton Princess Kaiulani and Sheraton Maui, reached a contract agreement to end a 51-day-old strike that had disrupted tourism.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Oh, it is true. The hotel union reps in Hawaii are really causing trouble. Last year Marriott workers went on strike and caused a lot of problems for tourist and the hotels. They were out of work for a long time, but they did get a nice pay raise out of it. The Mayor was down there and on TV promoting the strike saying “One Job should be enough”. Now the hotel unions are making a strong push to shut down all Air BnB rentals that are not in resort areas. The city council has been holding hearings about once or twice a month to allow the public to speak. But a lot of union workers are showing up and pushing their cause that they are loosing business. A vote will be held next week on the matter and 1000s of Air BnB vacation rentals will have to stop. The question is when and how many will shut down and cause tourist to stay in a hotel. Oahu hotels are already 80 percent full during the off season and 95 percent full during the busy season. So after the new regulations go into affect, except hotels to be 100 percent full and prices to go up. The workers will get bigger wages and better benefits. Take your vacation soon before it gets expensive.

Hopefully Hilton agrees to match what Marriott workers are getting and that everyone will be happy. But the unions are on a roll and might want more. By the way, I am not anti union. I was the Chairman of the Alpa Safety Committee for years and know that unions have a place, but there comes a time when greed gets excessive. We will soon see what happens.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We went to Local 5 headquarters and marched with the Local 5 workers in March to support their demands for better wages and lowering the housekeeping workload from having to clean 13 rather than 14 rooms a day. Those are hotel rooms, since timeshares have kitchens and bedrooms the number of rooms in those building is less. If you can imagine what it would be like to clean that many rooms in a day, everyday. The workers at the HHV are from minority groups; many are immigrants. They are trying to make their way in a very expensive location of the United States. They work very hard everyday and should be compensated better. We all know that Hilton and HGVC are making a great deal of money with the help of those workers. The workers are asking for their share.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Marriot strike ended last year, the news reported that they are the highest paid hotel workers in the country and only a couple other cities had similar wages and benefits. I think San Francisco, New York and Seattle were at the top of the benefits list. But if Hilton can match what Marriott workers are getting, the workers should be happy. You are right that the union will collect their share for their workers, but the price of a room will go up. At some point, people will stop coming to Hawaii. My wife and I love Manhattan, but the cost of a room is higher than we want to pay. So we go to Japan, South Korea, Vegas or other destinations where we can get more for our money. The same will happen in Hawaii. The union is behind Air BnB shutting down in residential areas and Oahu is about to see major price increases for hotel rooms. I am not sure what will happen on other islands, but they will probably follow Oahu. Let’s hope the workers are happy with the wages Marriott got. That is usually how it works. I don’t see a strike coming because Hilton management will give them a raise to meet Marriott. I might be wrong, nobody knows until it is over.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When Marriot strike ended last year, the news reported that they are the highest paid hotel workers in the country and only a couple other cities had similar wages and benefits. I think San Francisco, New York and Seattle were at the top of the benefits list. But if Hilton can match what Marriott workers are getting, the workers should be happy. You are right that the union will collect their share for their workers, but the price of a room will go up. At some point, people will stop coming to Hawaii. My wife and I love Manhattan, but the cost of a room is higher than we want to pay. So we go to Japan, South Korea, Vegas or other destinations where we can get more for our money. The same will happen in Hawaii. The union is behind Air BnB shutting down in residential areas and Oahu is about to see major price increases for hotel rooms. I am not sure what will happen on other islands, but they will probably follow Oahu. Let’s hope the workers are happy with the wages Marriott got. That is usually how it works. I don’t see a strike coming because Hilton management will give them a raise to meet Marriott. I might be wrong, nobody knows until it is over.

You are probably correct that the Marriott workers on Oahu have wages comparable to SF, NY and Seattle. Honolulu is also right up there in cost of living with those major cities. Therefore, the workers need wages in comparison. How much you make is clearly not independent of how much it costs to live.