• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado Ski Experts--need your advice with destinations!

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are from the Bay area in NorCal and usually ski in North and South Tahoe. We visited Aspen for the first time in mid-December last year and it was truly heavenly; and of course staying at the Hyatt Grand Aspen was pretty sweet too (I am sure the only reason we got it via II as an exchange was because it was low peak season before the holidays).

We have an outstanding request in II now and also within Hyatt's internal system (we own two Marriotts and a Hyatt) asking for Aspen for 2019 xmas and new year's weeks (tall order, I know). I would like to add at least one more CO location to the request that is SIMILAR to Aspen. Can someone tell me if Breckenridge offers the same cutesy downtown feel, multiple mountains to ski, walkable and fun downtown, and gorgeous beauty (I loved Aspen scenery much more than Tahoe...)?? I see that Breckenridge has Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge and Hyatt Residence Club Breckenridge--are both pretty solid?

And other than Breckenridge, is there another ski resort in Colorado that is comparable to Aspen, and would have either Hyatts, Marriotts, or similar in quality II exchange options for travelers from the Bay area who would be flying in?

Thank you so much in advance--my husband ithinks that everything other than Aspen will just be comparable to Tahoe so why go, but I bet there's gotta be something else amazing in CO!

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you enjoyed the Hyatt in Aspen so much, I would add the two Hyatts in Beaver Creek and the one in Breckenridge to your II request.

The quality of the Marriott timeshares in Breckenridge and Vail don't match the Hyatts, so if that is important to you then leave both of them off your request. However, you are choosing a difficult trade timeframe and you do have Marriott preference, so it depends upon how important it is for you to travel over the holidays.

Breckenridge has a cutesy downtown and Beaver Creek is a more of a slope side experience, comparable to staying in Whistler Village. I think you would enjoy either.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Breckenridge has nice ski in ski out resorts. Grand Timber Lodge and Grand Lodge at Peak 7 and another new one, I think Peak 9. The Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge is a good location on the hill but was not Marriott built, but taken over my Marriott Management and may not have the Hyatt or Marriott elegance you are seeking. Hyatt Main Street Station is nice. One of the drawbacks to Breckenridge is the very high altitude. You have to get acclimated and it is also a 2 hour drive from Denver airport. Beaver Creek is a nice resort outside of Vail in Avon Colorado. They also have a Hyatt and a Westin Riverfront Mountain View which is right next to Gondola. Sheraton Mountain Vista is nice as well.

We also love Park City because it is only abut a 35 min. drive from SLC airport and is at lower elevation and gets good snow. Also has 3 main resorts to ski: Park City, Deer Valley and Canyons. Also has a cute old time town feel. There is Marriott Mountainside-ski in ski out, Marriott Summit Watch (downtown location- walk to Town Lift, and Westgate at the Canyons.

There are 2019 ski condos available in Park City on the Trading Places website for rent. Not luxury accommodations but they are Xmas and New Years reservations.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Breckenridge has nice ski in ski out resorts. Grand Timber Lodge and Grand Lodge at Peak 7 and another new one, I think Peak 9. The Marriott Mountain Valley Lodge is a good location on the hill but was not Marriott built, but taken over my Marriott Management and may not have the Hyatt or Marriott elegance you are seeking. Hyatt Main Street Station is nice. One of the drawbacks to Breckenridge is the very high altitude. You have to get acclimated and it is also a 2 hour drive from Denver airport. Beaver Creek is a nice resort outside of Vail in Avon Colorado. They also have a Hyatt and a Westin Riverfront Mountain View which is right next to Gondola. Sheraton Mountain Vista is nice as well.

We also love Park City because it is only abut a 35 min. drive from SLC airport and is at lower elevation and gets good snow. Also has 3 main resorts to ski: Park City, Deer Valley and Canyons. Also has a cute old time town feel. There is Marriott Mountainside-ski in ski out, Marriott Summit Watch (downtown location- walk to Town Lift, and Westgate at the Canyons.

There are 2019 ski condos available in Park City on the Trading Places website for rent. Not luxury accommodations but they are Xmas and New Years reservations.
thanks so much! added Beaver Creek Hyatts and Park City Marriotts, and also the Westin. are those impossible trades for xmas/new years weeks? i also requested the Beaver Creem hyatts internally via hyatt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you enjoyed the Hyatt in Aspen so much, I would add the two Hyatts in Beaver Creek and the one in Breckenridge to your II request.

The quality of the Marriott timeshares in Breckenridge and Vail don't match the Hyatts, so if that is important to you then leave both of them off your request. However, you are choosing a difficult trade timeframe and you do have Marriott preference, so it depends upon how important it is for you to travel over the holidays.

Breckenridge has a cutesy downtown and Beaver Creek is a more of a slope side experience, comparable to staying in Whistler Village. I think you would enjoy either.
thanks so much for your insight!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Westin and Sheraton in Avon would not be available in II during the holidays. I do have a 1br booked at the Sheraton which I can rent or trade with your Marriott unit.
Good luck getting a trade via II even a CUP exchange during holiday weeks.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are from the Bay area in NorCal and usually ski in North and South Tahoe. We visited Aspen for the first time in mid-December last year and it was truly heavenly; and of course staying at the Hyatt Grand Aspen was pretty sweet too (I am sure the only reason we got it via II as an exchange was because it was low peak season before the holidays).
If you are not tied to the school calendar, why compete with everyone who is and tries to exchange for the holidays? Plus all the ski areas and restaurants are crazy busy with longer than usual lines.

The Breckenridge Ice Sculpting Championship is scheduled for Jan. 20-29, 2020. It might be easier to find an exchange during this time.

https://www.gobreck.com/event/international-snow-sculpture-championships/

If you want to have any chance at a holiday ski vacation exchanges for the resorts you want, you would want to put in ongoing requests at least 14 months in advance.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The Breckenridge Ice Sculpting Championship is scheduled for Jan. 20-29, 2020. It might be easier to find an exchange during this time.

Another great time to visit Breckenridge is during the Ullr Festival which is usually around the second week of January -- so many fun activities! I would think finding an exchange for January would be reasonably easy.

https://www.gobreck.com/event/ullr-fest/

Kurt

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are not tied to the school calendar, why compete with everyone who is and tries to exchange for the holidays? Plus all the ski areas and restaurants are crazy busy with longer than usual lines.

If you want to have any chance at a holiday ski vacation exchanges for the resorts you want, you would want to put in ongoing requests at least 14 months in advance.

unfortunately we are tied to school holidays!

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another great time to visit Breckenridge is during the Ullr Festival which is usually around the second week of January -- so many fun activities! I would think finding an exchange for January would be reasonably easy.

https://www.gobreck.com/event/ullr-fest/

Kurt
thank you! someone above mentioned Breckenridge's higher altitude--has that been an issue for you?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thank you! someone above mentioned Breckenridge's higher altitude--has that been an issue for you?
Not for me, but I live at 5000'. If you do a few things (hydrate, no alcohol first day, etc.) then you shouldn't have an issue. I have had friends come visit to ski and none of them have ever had issues.

Kurt

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had an issue with altitude sickness this Christmas. I live at sea level and seem only to have a problem with Breckenridge. We have done Vail only trips and I've not been altitude sick. So for me, it feels like a really bad hangover, and I get it on day two, not the first day of arrival. I don't drink anymore, and I tried to hydrate as much as possible in the days leading up to travel but it still hit me like a ton of bricks.

I was able to ski the day we arrived as we had a 7 am arrival in Denver, but the next day I could not ski at all. I have been given the tip to stay overnight in Denver, so I guess I'll try that next.

On a Breckenridge girls ski trip March 2018, all of my sea level living girlfriends got altitude sickness. Only the ones living in Colorado were spared. It could also be an age thing. At Christmas I was with teenagers, the past spring trip was a gaggle of 50 something women.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to ski the day we arrived as we had a 7 am arrival in Denver, but the next day I could not ski at all. I have been given the tip to stay overnight in Denver, so I guess I'll try that next.
Too much exertion the first day or two is not recommended, as you really should let your body acclimate. Hope the rest of the trip was ok.

Kurt