• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC and Cruises

mtm65

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded into a St Thomas resort using our HGVC points for a Feb 2018 trip. However, with the hurricane damage, we decided to postpone our trip and take our first cruise instead.

My first thought was to use the 2400 points for the St Thomas resort toward a cruise. I knew this was a poor use of points but didn't know how bad until I investigated! Our points would have saved us $148.20 ($247.20 savings less $99 fee to use the points) on a $1,900 cruise. So not worth it, based on maintenance fees we paid about three times that for the points!

What I did learn that surprised me is that the HGVC Royal Caribbean cruise price was the most competitive price I saw by about $200. Is this normal or am I shopping for a cruise in the wrong places? I've tried cruise critic, cruise one, expedia, and last minute cruises to name a few. Would welcome any suggestions!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Pricing for a specific ship+sail date is typically not competitive. I'm told that they threaten to commissions to any agency that undercuts their authorized "discounts" or "promos." I use "Vacations to Go" to screen for cruises and pricing. Then, I'll check with an agency I like ("Best Price Cruises").

But I usually book directly with the cruise line itself to have a more direct control. Once, I tried to change the dining-time in advance, and RCI told me that the agency would have to do it for me. Needless hoop jumping.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The current cruise partner is "cruises only". It seems the HGVC points "value" is now static-based (the old cruise partner it would vary on the cruise line, dates, etc.)

Personally?

I try cruisesonly.com (not via the HGVC partner site, as it invalidates many of the goodies).
and
cruisecompete.com

Then go with whomever gets me the best deal.

As Talent312 mentioned, (depending on the cruise line), if you book outside the cruise line directly, sometimes you have to go through that booking agency to change anything.
I know with Royal Caribbean and Carnival, you can change *most* things online (once you get the booking #). But things like cabin changes would have go to through the booking agency.

But when you can save $300 or more by booking with an agency instead of direct, I'll go third party every time.

losteeves

Reaction score
I've booked our upcoming February cruise with Hgvc cruisesonly without a problem. They match any price you find elsewhere and have their own incentives as well. The price went down a few weeks ago and I called them and they made the adjustment. And I get Hilton points. I definitely recommend them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

escapeartist

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oceans 22
From the website, it looks as though there are bonus points associated with booking thru HGVC. It seems to center around “up to 2000 bonus points”. Experience with this?

losteeves

Reaction score
Depending upon the length of the cruise, you earn HGVC bonus points.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

kckreardon

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently used the cruisesonly and received 2,000 HGVC bonus points shortly after the cruise was complete.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Vacations to Go and have also used Costco and found the best price with those companies.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Interesting perspectives here - some seem to be OK booking through HGVC. Doing it this way, does HGVC give you flexibility for changes or cancellations? Can you pay the $60+ cancellation fee similar to booking a land unit? I just hate to get tied in to hard bookings with no flexibility.

Also, we bought our HGVC on the resale market and I have no experience with the HGVC bonus points. Escapeartist mentioned getting 2000 bonus points after the cruise. What does 2000 bonus points typically get you in trading power?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What does 2000 bonus points typically get you in trading power?

bonus points = HGVC regular points. However, you can not combine bonus points and regular points in the same reservation. You can also use bonus points to pay for MFs at 10 bonus pts = $1.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
We traded into a St Thomas resort using our HGVC points for a Feb 2018 trip. However, with the hurricane damage, we decided to postpone our trip and take our first cruise instead.

My first thought was to use the 2400 points for the St Thomas resort toward a cruise. I knew this was a poor use of points but didn't know how bad until I investigated! Our points would have saved us $148.20 ($247.20 savings less $99 fee to use the points) on a $1,900 cruise. So not worth it, based on maintenance fees we paid about three times that for the points!

What I did learn that surprised me is that the HGVC Royal Caribbean cruise price was the most competitive price I saw by about $200. Is this normal or am I shopping for a cruise in the wrong places? I've tried cruise critic, cruise one, expedia, and last minute cruises to name a few. Would welcome any suggestions!

We discovered the same as well with our Marriott points. We wanted to take a cruise and it was over 12000 points (which is about $6k MF) and the cruise line had a 50% sale going on that would have significantly cost less for a large SUITE, instead of a small cabin.

I didn't know Hilton points could be used for other things, however. Is this for all Hilton owners (including resale) or only Elite owners?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We discovered the same as well with our Marriott points. We wanted to take a cruise and it was over 12000 points (which is about $6k MF) and the cruise line had a 50% sale going on that would have significantly cost less for a large SUITE, instead of a small cabin.

I didn't know Hilton points could be used for other things, however. Is this for all Hilton owners (including resale) or only Elite owners?

Its for all owners, you can get details under Club Partner Perks on the website. They have other options as well such as RV travel, Houseboats, etc.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Thank you!