• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone trade into Animal Kingdom recently?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Yep! As much as I love Welk I'll never but retail from them again. The perks are not enough for me.
And just to be clear, I'm basing that $75 figure based on people who recently purchased the same amount I bought for $40k in 2015 for $60+k within the past 3 months.
And especially considering that Welk owners seem to have great selections available through RCI compared to most (at least for now) I definitely wouldn't recommend buying retail.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Yes, it's not a bad thing to own, DVC, but to get something like Food and Wine, you need to buy where you want to stay because it's tough to get any dates at all now for Food and Wine. I booked OKW for late October and no more availability since we hit the 7 month mark (when everyone can book them). I think it's a sign of the times. People are going to be flocking to Disney to see Star Wars. It's worth the price you pay for the points for resale.
And just wait till they make an Avengers section.....

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Yes, it's not a bad thing to own, DVC, but to get something like Food and Wine, you need to buy where you want to stay because it's tough to get any dates at all now for Food and Wine. I booked OKW for late October and no more availability since we hit the 7 month mark (when everyone can book them). I think it's a sign of the times. People are going to be flocking to Disney to see Star Wars. It's worth the price you pay for the points for resale.
Agree, although I did get a dedicated 2 bed in AKL for a school holiday long weekend with my SSR points in october at exactly 7 months but I think my BCV wait list is a pipe dream :). I have had decent luck using cheap SSR points as long as I have some flex in scheduling :). I feel like I can use RCI to go to SSR so I try to use the DVC point elsewhere. We like AKL and rarely want a studio and I think with those considerations I seem to be able to get what I want at 7 months, but if it stops working I could sell now at a profit.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Disney definitely has the best resale value that I've seen by far

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Disney definitely has the best resale value that I've seen by far

When I was thinking about my first TS purchase the option to exit without a lot of difficulty pushed Disney to the top of the pile (as well as three women who all love the mouse in my house). At this point it's the only one of my TS's I spent real money to acquire but I generally over value the exit strategy when thinking about sustaining my new addiction :)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
When I was thinking about my first TS purchase the option to exit without a lot of difficulty pushed Disney to the top of the pile (as well as three women who all love the mouse in my house). At this point it's the only one of my TS's I spent real money to acquire but I generally over value the exit strategy when thinking about sustaining my new addiction :)
Which DVC is your home resort? Just curious as I see you've got quite a few Disney vacations booked/planned in your signature.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Which DVC is your home resort? Just curious as I see you've got quite a few Disney vacations booked/planned in your signature.
SSR (generally the best value in my mind on a cost/maintenance fee/expiration date basis) I don't use the points for anything but Disney so I booked the cruise with cash and the SSR stay was an RCI exchange the AKL & Aulani stays were/are on points. As I said my wife and daughters are disney/orlando obsessed

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My wife is a Disney kid, and now our first daughter is, which means our second one will be too. I hope Welk's priority trading power with Disney doesn't go away in the next few years.....

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
My wife is a Disney kid, and now our first daughter is, which means our second one will be too. I hope Welk's priority trading power with Disney doesn't go away in the next few years.....
My girls (who are teenagers) don't mind staying at SSR they all like Disney springs (when we fly the baggage limits sometimes don't like the shopping they do :)). Even if the Welk priority stuff changes SSR is often available via normal RCI so you ought to be able to get them into the bubble with 60 day fast passes, free parking and extra magic hours (which are all worthwhile to me). Before we bought DVC we would book disney deluxe resorts for those benefits so the DVC purchase has really saved me a bit of money :)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My girls (who are teenagers) don't mind staying at SSR they all like Disney springs (when we fly the baggage limits sometimes don't like the shopping they do :)). Even if the Welk priority stuff changes SSR is often available via normal RCI so you ought to be able to get them into the bubble with 60 day fast passes, free parking and extra magic hours (which are all worthwhile to me). Before we bought DVC we would book disney deluxe resorts for those benefits so the DVC purchase has really saved me a bit of money :)
From the pictures, I'm not really impressed with the styling/decor of SSR or OKW...... Obviously the perks you mentioned and the cost difference (obviously including my MF) between trading through RCI or booking anywhere else is well worth it! But the one time I went to Disney, Wilderness Lodge is by far my favorite resort as far as styling/feel.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
From the pictures, I'm not really impressed with the styling/decor of SSR or OKW...... Obviously the perks you mentioned and the cost difference (obviously including my MF) between trading through RCI or booking anywhere else is well worth it! But the one time I went to Disney, Wilderness Lodge is by far my favorite resort as far as styling/feel.
My favorite too. I love Wilderness, but it's called Boulder Ridge now, or something to that effect. I am so happy to have had the opportunity to stay there, but now that SSR is about the only resort I can get, I am just going to deal with it for those perks of 60-day FP+ and extra magic hours.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
For me its a place to sleep while we are doing other stuff. The restaurants at SSR are good and walking access to DIsney Springs give a lot of choice. I do prefer the theme at Beach Club and Animal Kingdom best and I love the location of Beach club and Boardwalk. We don't often visit the magic kingdom but if we did Grand Floridian would have some appeal as well. I guess that's why there are 14 of them :)

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
My favorite too. I love Wilderness, but it's called Boulder Ridge now, or something to that effect. I am so happy to have had the opportunity to stay there, but now that SSR is about the only resort I can get, I am just going to deal with it for those perks of 60-day FP+ and extra magic hours.
right they changed the name when they built copper creek there as well

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Yeah, I know it's boulder ridge and copper creek or whatever. Call it what you will, it truly blew me away.

ILuvCrush

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Beach Club Villas
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas at Kidani
Wolf Run at Treasure Lake PA
I own at Beach Club and couldn’t get a week there in October this year before the 7 mo window opened... I had to move my Food and Wine Trip back to September... fortunately before they announced the Star Wars opening August 29... or it would have been gone too.

I can’t imag how hard it is to trade into DVC... I have trouble getting what I want with 2 separate contracts with them lol!

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
And just wait till they make an Avengers section.....

Don't forget that they can't until they get out of their licensing contract with Universal.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that they can't until they get out of their licensing contract with Universal.

Does that contract have an expiry? I wasn't under the impression Universal was planning on giving those rights back...

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they could buy it out or negotiate something. Just depends on whether the benefits outweigh having a major theme park competitor pay them licensing fees, which I suspect they find funny (tempered somewhat by the success of their movies but I think it's safe to say that the parks business isn't suffering without an Avengers draw).

But while a Disney/Marvel park would be a great 5th gate (or major addition to the Studios), I was just saying that it ain't happening till they resolve that Universal contract.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Universal contract only provides exclusivity for certain characters/character families, and only East of the Mississippi river in the CONUS. So, fair game at Disneyland (or the non-US parks) but not at WDW---at least not for those character families.

This was believed to be why the TRONorail was on the Epcot beam, but the Avengerail was on the Seven Seas Lagoon beams; if the latter had been on the Epcot beam, that would put exclusive characters "inside" Epcot. But, apparently this may not have been an issue: https://www.insideuniversal.net/201...ct-what-rights-does-universal-and-disney-own/

Character families not covered in the existing agreement are possible in Orlando. Some speculate that this is why the Guardians franchise was started---they were a relatively minor story arc in the Marvel comic universe, were not previously linked to any of the in-use families at Universal, and have become a big presence for Disney/Marvel. And, now they are being added to Epcot.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
OK, since we are over our Orlando phase, and our RCI exchanging phase, it doesn't make any difference if someone tells me what they can see at Disney through RCI.

I was just curious.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
OK, since we are over our Orlando phase, and our RCI exchanging phase, it doesn't make any difference if someone tells me what they can see at Disney through RCI.

I was just curious.
There is usually availability at SSR in one bedroom units if you have scheduling flexibility. The points cost (I only have a points account so don't know what the TPU cost is) range from 23,000 for short notice up to 85,000 for points inventory and there is often priority access inventory only available to Platinum accounts. If you pay the $15 fee to join TUGBBS you can see the sighting forum where the specific availability is often highlighted. I have seen a couple of OKW rooms in the past year or so and nothing else.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Thanks.

I have not seen any Disney in Weeks since it was first offered.

But, then, at some point I stopped looking.

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Just looked now and there are summer weeks available you should recheck rci resort code dv06.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk