• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I rent the convertible for an extra $25?

Should we rent a convertible?

• OMG of course you should!

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Be practical and get the sensible car.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We (just my husband and I) are headed to Maui for 3 days after spending a week on Kauai at the end of next month. I see a convertible for $125 for three days, or an intermediate (or std also) for $100. We have rented convertibles twice before - not sure I get the fascination - so talk me into this because I feel like renting one for some reason :) We will be staying at Kahana Beach Resort and I am not sure about their parking situation. Maybe it's tight and we should just get a small car? We won't be doing the Road to Hana most likely - we are going again in Sept with friends who haven't been, so we will save that drive for them.

So would you or wouldn't you rent a convertible?

Btw, this is not about the $$. Mostly about the experience.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We always rent a convertible in Hawaii, but then I like convertibles and also drive one at home. For us it is part of the Hawaii experience. For Hawaii, a convertible IS the sensible car in my opinion!

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
OMG ~ YES ~ go for it!!! We were on Maui such a long time ago ~ our 25th,and rented a Mustang Convertible ~ was such a great experience!! I'm so glad we had it, and given the choice, wouldn't go any other way. There's so much beauty there, you don't want to miss anything. If you can, don't miss the road to Hana ~ and the Black sand beaches at the end. Have a wonderful time!! :wave::wave:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Go for it!

A few years ago in San Diego we were offered an upgrade to a convertible (I think for the same price). We took it, but ended up with the top up the whole time as the weather did not cooperate.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Go for it!

A few years ago in San Diego we were offered an upgrade to a convertible (I think for the same price). We took it, but ended up with the top up the whole time as the weather did not cooperate.
Years ago we rented one on the big island in July. It was so hot that we ran the a/c with the top down for a few days then gave up and left the top up because we couldn't take the heat any more. Maybe that's why I don't have any fun memories, lol.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Years ago we rented one on the big island in July. It was so hot that we ran the a/c with the top down for a few days then gave up and left the top up because we couldn't take the heat any more. Maybe that's why I don't have any fun memories, lol.
I also remember quite a few years back we were on Maui the same time as a woman I worked with (and her husband). We decided to get together for dinner one night. They had been talked into upgrading to a convertible. They thought they were going to get a Mustang, but instead got a Pontiac Sunbird (which I don't think Pontiac even makes anymore). We had also gotten a Pontiac Sunbird, but the "sensible" model. Both of them were pieces of junk. :rolleyes:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also remember quite a few years back we were on Maui the same time as a woman I worked with (and her husband). We decided to get together for dinner one night. They had been talked into upgrading to a convertible. They thought they were going to get a Mustang, but instead got a Pontiac Sunbird (which I don't think Pontiac even makes anymore). We had also gotten a Pontiac Sunbird, but the "sensible" model. Both of them were pieces of junk. :rolleyes:
On Maui, we once had a Nissan Versa that was so gutless that I actually checked to make sure that I hadn't forgotten to release the parking brake. Nope. It is the only car that I refuse to rent. On the other hand we once reserved a 4wd and received a Chevy Tahoe LTZ with pretty much every option known to man. It was fabulous.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I rent convertibles whenever they seem appropriate. Hawaii is one place where it is. For the money difference, sure, I'd do it. The weather then should be great.

However, be aware, the vehicle will likely be a Ford Mustang, and Mustang Convertibles have a relatively small trunk. Your luggage may not fit, and you may have to transport luggage in the back seat. If you intend to stop someplace while transporting your luggage, you'll have to decide how to deal with that.

All told, I'd say go for it, if you like the idea of driving a convertible. If wind or excess Hawaiian sun bother you, might mess your hair, or whatever, you may not be as comfortable. It is harder to see out of a convertible with the top up, in my opinion. But maybe that's just me. :)

Dave

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
MiniVan. Definitely get a MiniVan.

Just had to be contrarian ;)
Get what makes you feel good. $25 delta (I presume a day) for a Convertible sounds great.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
BUT, keep in mind that convertible comes at a cost of trunk space.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
With just two people and if you only have to take the luggage twice (from the airport and back to the airport), it's doable.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MiniVan. Definitely get a MiniVan.

Just had to be contrarian ;)
Get what makes you feel good. $25 delta (I presume a day) for a Convertible sounds great.
Ahhh...the all practical minivan! I had forgotten about those days. They were pretty fun honestly, all except for the minivan part. I am still recovering and now drive a mini-cooper. :)

It's actually just $25 more - $125 vs 100. Not truly meaningful money (although in my brain I always convert to "how many mai-tai's could I get for that" ) and in this case not enough to matter.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ahhh...the all practical minivan! I had forgotten about those days. They were pretty fun honestly, all except for the minivan part. I am still recovering and now drive a mini-cooper. :)

It's actually just $25 more - $125 vs 100. Not truly meaningful money (although in my brain I always convert to "how many mai-tai's could I get for that" ) and in this case not enough to matter.
We rented (and owned) minivans for years. When you travel with 5 to 6 people minimum, plus "stuff", it's the only vehicle that will hold everything.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

With just two people and if you only have to take the luggage twice (from the airport and back to the airport), it's doable.
We are light packers. Just two carry-ons. I went with a friend once who had two regular suitcases and one carry-on. :eek: I never figured out what she brought with her in those bags, but it was an amazing sight to see.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, the majority has spoken. I booked it. I will post a picture from the front seat!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We are light packers. Just two carry-ons. I went with a friend once who had two regular suitcases and one carry-on. :eek: I never figured out what she brought with her in those bags, but it was an amazing sight to see.

You haven't met my spouse. Egads! I have to heft those bags, and have more than once had to transfer excess items to my underweight suitcase to compensate for a seriously overweight one. But we won't talk about that, especially when it happens at the luggage counter in an airport. :eek: We now carry a suitcase scale, and I weigh things before we go anyplace.

A few years ago on a trip to Virginia, a certain person's mega-overstuffed suitcase zipper exploded in protest, and was never the same. Some parts were never found. So there we were, suitcase shopping while on vacation. Miraculously, we found something suitable at a Burlington factory store in Virginia Beach, and our trip continued mostly unimpeded - except I just about had to wear a truss from all the lifting. (Do guys still wear trusses? I have no idea... :D )

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I need to stay out of the sun. The wind really bothers my ears. And on most convertibles I am just too damn tall, at 6' and My head is usually just at the top of the window and my hair becomes a rats nest. I would pass just for personal reasons.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You haven't met my spouse. Egads! I have to heft those bags, and have more than once had to transfer excess items to my underweight suitcase to compensate for a seriously overweight one. But we won't talk about that, especially when it happens at the luggage counter in an airport. :eek: We now carry a suitcase scale, and I weigh things before we go anyplace.

A few years ago on a trip to Virginia, a certain person's mega-overstuffed suitcase zipper exploded in protest, and was never the same. Some parts were never found. So there we were, suitcase shopping while on vacation. Miraculously, we found something suitable at a Burlington factory store in Virginia Beach, and our trip continued mostly unimpeded - except I just about had to wear a truss from all the lifting. (Do guys still wear trusses? I have no idea... :D )

Dave
We now travel with a suitcase, and a duffel, each. Well, dh travels with a suitcase and duffel, I can usually get by with just the suitcase. :rolleyes:

I had to buy a new suitcase in NYC last year because the airline lost my suitcase for three days, and when they finally returned it the frame had been bent. Dh took me to Orchard St and there was a great luggage store there. I got a suitcase with 4 wheels and LOVE it! So much easier than the 2 wheeler I had before.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't like to have the top down on a convertible as it messes up my hair. Plus we end up smelling the fumes from other cars. A sports coupe, absolutely!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I was actually a bit surprised at the trunk space we had in the Mustangs during our recent Hawaii trip. The design of the retractible roof doesn't take up that much trunk space, unlike my Saab convertible at home where the trunk space is much less with the top down than up. I prefer driving my Saab, and don't really like driving the Mustang, but the trunk space isn't all that bad, at least for a convertible.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
A few years ago on Kauai they rented us a new red Mustang convertible with a white racing stripe.

When I tried to load my wife's large suitcase in the trunk, it wouldn't fit. Not even close regardless of what I did. So then I tried putting it in the back seat. It looked like a tight fit. So I slid the passenger seat all the way forward and folded it over. It wasn't going to work no matter how I positioned the case. I ended up having to drop the convertible top to put the suitcase in. Luckily we only had one large suitcase.

So, if you have a large suitcase or suitcases, don't be surprised if you have a luggage problem.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
A few years ago on Kauai they rented us a new red Mustang convertible with a white racing stripe.

When I tried to load my wife's large suitcase in the trunk, it wouldn't fit. Not even close regardless of what I did. So then I tried putting it in the back seat. It looked like a tight fit. So I slid the passenger seat all the way forward and folded it over. It wasn't going to work no matter how I positioned the case. I ended up having to drop the convertible top to put the suitcase in. Luckily we only had one large suitcase.

So, if you have a large suitcase or suitcases, don't be surprised if you have a luggage problem.

First rule of renting a convertible with larger suitcases...you will have to use the back seat, and you will have to put the top down to get that larger suitcase in the back seat. But it IS a convertible after all, so putting the top down is what we usually do anyway.

On our recent three-week trip we had two carry-on sized bags, one 25" bag and a 28" bag. The 28 inch and one of the carry-ons went in the back seat, The 25" bag and the other carryon went in the Mustang's trunk along with a camera/photo backpack. Worked perfect.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pontiac doesn't build ANYTHING anymore. Went the way of Desoto, Essex, and so many more.

Jim
P.S. I wouldn't rent the convertible either. DW always complained of the wind in her hair when I put the top down on my sports car, and the lack of trunk space and invitation to thieves clinches it for me.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would much rather sit higher on the road than a convertible sedan. I’d say go for the sporty Jeep over the convertible.