• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upscale at Hilton?

4Sunsets

Reaction score
As new owners, it's been really hard for us to find out which resorts are upscale, which are modest, which have been renovated. The last being more important than anything else. marriott has high mf, but the resorts are impeccably maintained (for the most part). hilton seems to have a 10-year cycle vs a 5/7.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
As new owners, it's been really hard for us to find out which resorts are upscale, which are modest, which have been renovated. The last being more important than anything else. marriott has high mf, but the resorts are impeccably maintained (for the most part). hilton seems to have a 10-year cycle vs a 5/7.

I’ve stayed at HGVC and Marriott and find them to be equal, not sure where you are getting the information that HGVC is not as impeccably maintained.

Did you stay at a particular HGVC and get a bad impression? Why did you decide to buy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4Sunsets

Reaction score
we're new and dont have access yet to the system. nothing against hgvc, and we do look forward to using. however, a few of the units we stayed at wjth friends were dated (orlando, hikton head, myrtle)

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
More important to me is the flexibility that Hilton has with points. I have not been to Marriott in years and when I was looking at them, they had a weekly program. I can stay at Hilton for three nights or three weeks or longer if I use two years of points. I can stay in a studio, 1, 2 or 3 bedroom when I want. Marriott and Hilton are very equal in most regards to being upscale. I did see valet only at the Marriott resorts I visited where Hilton had valet as an option and also self park. Marriott wants to appear as more upscale, but I don’t think they are. I am glad that I own Hilton.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
a few of the units we stayed at wjth friends were dated (orlando, hikton head, myrtle)

Ocean Oak on Hilton Head Island Phase I is only about 2 years old and Phase II just finished in April. HGVC has 3 properties in Myrtle Beach, Anderson Ocean Club, Ocean 22 and Ocean Enclave. Ocean 22 opened about 3-4 years ago and Ocean Enclave is opening soon.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
More important to me is the flexibility that Hilton has with points. I have not been to Marriott in years and when I was looking at them, they had a weekly program. I can stay at Hilton for three nights or three weeks or longer if I use two years of points. I can stay in a studio, 1, 2 or 3 bedroom when I want. Marriott and Hilton are very equal in most regards to being upscale. I did see valet only at the Marriott resorts I visited where Hilton had valet as an option and also self park. Marriott wants to appear as more upscale, but I don’t think they are. I am glad that I own Hilton.

it's the same for marriott from 1 night to whatever, bank or pull forward, stay at studio to three bedroom, etc. marriott includes parking just about everywhere for owners, hilton doesnt seem to though.

@GT75 thank you. it was anderson. never been to ocean 22 but thought it was older. ocean oak looks nice but was construction this year whe we were i area

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have found the refurb cycles to be longer at Hilton like OP posted. We stay at Marriott Koolina, Hilton Lagoon, Grand Waikikian, Kalia, Grand Islander and Hokulani regularly every year. I have found just the grand islander and hokulani to have furniture that is not as worn out, but those towers have just opened about 2-3 years ago. Have seen the same worn furniture in lagoon tower for almost 8 years until there was a soft good refurb last year. During that same time, Marriott Koolina went through a soft good refurb and another hard refurbishment.

I am not complaining as the mf for lagoon is about $500 cheaper a year than Marriott koolina for a comparable 2br unit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I am not complaining as the mf for lagoon is about $500 cheaper a year than Marriott koolina for a comparable 2br unit.
And that's the thing. Want refurb more frequently? It's easy... just pay higher MF fees. It's a give and take. Spend more, get more. I will say that I just finished up a week at the Lagoon Tower and found nothing worn or old at all. I believe they are in the process right now of refurbishing.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
If you think Marriott’s are impeccably maintained, I invite you to visit their ski resorts next season. The ‘80’s called. They want their timeshares back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I prefer to pay $500 more a year and get better overall maintenance. I agree that Marriott time shares are generally well maintained. However, their sofas in the living rooms tend to not be good quality for the use they get. I have been to a couple MVCs in the past year where the sofa was hard, cushions fell into the sofa bed, etc. So I would sit on the chairs instead.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, I look at tripadvisor and yelp for reviews (their reviewers have different biases) and sometimes oyster to see photos. If you read through a few pages of reviews you can usually get a good sense of the condition of the resort, the quality of the service, the benefits of the location, and anything out of the ordinary (both good and bad). An example where this was useful to us was Southern California where we realized that none of the HGVC Carlsbad locations fired on enough cylinders (for us) to compete with Newport Coast.

But we've stayed in the MVC and HGVC locations in South Beach and found them more or less equivalent. And in Hawaii, the Lagoon Tower and Bay Club are comparable in quality to Waiohai, MOC, and Ko Olina (though obviously all five are quite different with amazing pluses and some minuses to all of them).

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
To answer your question, I look at tripadvisor and yelp for reviews (their reviewers have different biases) and sometimes oyster to see photos. If you read through a few pages of reviews you can usually get a good sense of the condition of the resort, the quality of the service, the benefits of the location, and anything out of the ordinary (both good and bad). An example where this was useful to us was Southern California where we realized that none of the HGVC Carlsbad locations fired on enough cylinders (for us) to compete with Newport Coast.

But we've stayed in the MVC and HGVC locations in South Beach and found them more or less equivalent. And in Hawaii, the Lagoon Tower and Bay Club are comparable in quality to Waiohai, MOC, and Ko Olina (though obviously all five are quite different with amazing pluses and some minuses to all of them).

I have not stayed at any Hilton Vacation Clubs in Hawaii. If all things are equal between Hilton and Marriott in Hawaii, then I would much prefer Marriott because they have better locations and they are on more islands than Hilton.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting - I would say HGVC and Westin are both generally a half step up from Marriott. Different strokes, obviously.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I believe they are comparable. We have mostly stayed in SD HGVC properties. San Diego laid back lifestyle for sure. When I did visit Marriott Newport, I personally felt like it was an Irvine Company facility. And it was crowded, which isn’t relaxing to me. Nor the sprawling campus that required more walking. Amenities are top notch though. However being local and having stayed at many of the top notch hotels in the area, it makes sense Marriott keeps Newport in top shape. Similarly to The Desert area. Competition.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
thanks everyone, good insights. personally, my family really enjoys ko olina, it's really well maintained. marriott newport is another one we really enjoy. not sure how it could be crowded compared to carlsbad. newport is all by itself and spread out over many acres.

MF are important to us, which is why we started looking at hilton. but honestly if we bought marriott weeks in the same places as our hilton weeks, the mf would be about the same. marriott, however, doesnt treat new resales well anymore.

mf in hawaii weeks has always been high at marriott, but hilton mf in hawaii is comparable, which is why i was wondering why refurb cycles were so long. marriott does soft/hard refurb like clockwork at 5/7. hard refurb includes exteriors n such to.

i couldnt find the refurb schedule for hilton in our paperwork.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I have not stayed at any Hilton Vacation Clubs in Hawaii. If all things are equal between Hilton and Marriott in Hawaii, then I would much prefer Marriott because they have better locations and they are on more islands than Hilton.

we have stayed at all of the marriott hawaii properties multiple times. we own 4 hawaii weeks. we've enjoyed all of them. we're looking forward to hilton on oahu too, so thanks for the comments about hhv.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
If you think Marriott’s are impeccably maintained, I invite you to visit their ski resorts next season. The ‘80’s called. They want their timeshares back.
i would agree in part. there are several low point options, that are what they are. but 1/2 to 1/3 the point cost, so if u want to save on points. otherwise, spend the points to stay at tahoe grand or timber or rc you cant go wrong there. or in colorado vail n such r great properties.

points costs are one thing i dont understand about hilton. the points are pretty much the same from hawaii to hilton head for like season/room. how is this possible? an orlando 2bedroom isnt the same as a hawaii 2bedroom. also i read about a points change in hawaii and i see this. some locations are in what was called the old point system while others are in the new point system.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
i would agree in part. there are several low point options, that are what they are. but 1/2 to 1/3 the point cost, so if u want to save on points. otherwise, spend the points to stay at tahoe grand or timber or rc you cant go wrong there. or in colorado vail n such r great properties.

points costs are one thing i dont understand about hilton. the points are pretty much the same from hawaii to hilton head for like season/room. how is this possible? an orlando 2bedroom isnt the same as a hawaii 2bedroom. also i read about a points change in hawaii and i see this. some locations are in what was called the old point system while others are in the new point system.

I was at Streamside in Vail a few weeks ago. It specifically is my reason for questioning the "impeccably maintained" portion of your comment. I'll refrain from offering a review here, and instead note that the variance I've found in maintenance at Marriott, Hyatt and HGVC among properties of varying ages is very similar.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I was at Streamside in Vail a few weeks ago. It specifically is my reason for questioning the "impeccably maintained" portion of your comment. I'll refrain from offering a review here, and instead note that the variance I've found in maintenance at Marriott, Hyatt and HGVC among properties of varying ages is very similar.

streamside is low end, one of the ones i was referring too. cheap points are cheap stays, it's why streamsidd is 1/8 the points in mud season. vail, i meant ritzcarlton.

Streamside is 675 points right now for an entire week.... in contrast it is 6750 for a maui tower week. one is a$270 stay for a week in MF, the other $2K for a week in MF.

For 2500 points, you could have stayed in a 2bedroom at vail ritz carlton, in the current season. you would be treated like royalty at a MF cost lf $1K.

Last edited:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
streamside is low end, one of the ones i was referring too. cheap points are cheap stays, it's why streamsidd is 1/3 the points. vail, i meant ritzcarlton.
I guess it's hard to argue with that. If Ritz-Carlton Vail is your measuring stick, you will definitely be disappointed with your stays at almost every HGVC. Hyatt has a very nice resort on Maui you might enjoy, however.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
we have stayed at all of the marriott hawaii properties multiple times. we own 4 hawaii weeks. we've enjoyed all of them. we're looking forward to hilton on oahu too, so thanks for the comments about hhv.
HGVC's Lagoon Tower and MVCI's Waiohai are our two favorite Hawaii resorts. The Lagoon tower because it is on the ocean in Waikiki. Close to all of Honolulu's Hawaiiana destinations (Bishop, Chinatown, Iolani, Punchbowl, Pali, Queen Emma, etc.) and with some of the world's best eats in walking distance or a short drive away. Waiohai because Kauai is a lush garden paradise and Waiohai sits on one of the world's great beaches - Poipu - with snorkeling, swimming, and wildlife literally steps from your villa. We also really like the towns of Kauai's South Shore - Koloa, Hanapepe, Waimei, etc.

We've also stayed at MOC, Ko Olina, and the Bay Club...all of which have their pluses and minuses.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I guess it's hard to argue with that. If Ritz-Carlton Vail is your measuring stick, you will definitely be disappointed with your stays at almost every HGVC. Hyatt has a very nice resort on Maui you might enjoy, however.

thanks, wasn't meaning it had to be so upscale as Ritz Carlton. Really just meant to point out that Streamside is a very low end property -- $270 for an entire week ($40/day) is bargain basement, so you get what you pay for. also wanted to point out the extreme value of RC Vail this time of year at $1k / week in points.

HGVC's Lagoon Tower and MVCI's Waiohai are our two favorite Hawaii resorts. The Lagoon tower because it is on the ocean in Waikiki. Close to all of Honolulu's Hawaiiana destinations (Bishop, Chinatown, Iolani, Punchbowl, Pali, Queen Emma, etc.) and with some of the world's best eats in walking distance or a short drive away. Waiohai because Kauai is a lush garden paradise and Waiohai sits on one of the world's great beaches - Poipu - with snorkeling, swimming, and wildlife literally steps from your villa. We also really like the towns of Kauai's South Shore - Koloa, Hanapepe, Waimei, etc.

We've also stayed at MOC, Ko Olina, and the Bay Club...all of which have their pluses and minuses.

Thank you! Everyone is saying Lagoon Tower, so really looking forward to a first stay there. :)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thank you! Everyone is saying Lagoon Tower, so really looking forward to a first stay there. :)

JMHO... Based on the discussion in this thread, I think you’ll be disappointed with the Lagoon Tower. I suggest a high floor in the newest HHV tower (Grand Islander). I think that would be a better option for you.

The Lagoon tower isn’t for everyone. See this older thread.
From a TUG member titled “my opinion on hhv” (2010) - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-opnion-on-hhv.114130

Here’s a comparison I wrote in another thread.

There are four timeshare towers at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. All four towers are nice. The choice really depends on what’s more important to you in terms of view and amenities and the number of points you want to use. For example some folks simply don’t care about the view.

There are lots of old threads about each of the towers. You can locate them by simply searching by tower name - Lagoon, Kalia, Waikikian or Islander

Hilton.com provides detailed room descriptions , photos and 3D floor plans for each unit type.
Lagoon Tower was built back in 1965. Converted from Lagoon Tower apartments into timeshares in 2001.
Pros: Spacious living room with the largest lani, Lagoon tower is also closest to the ocean
Cons: Washer & dryer centrally located on each floor; older apartment style bathrooms with combined tub/shower; elevators shared by everyone (guests, housekeeping, bell services, etc) which means longer elevator wait times during peak times of the day.
The Hilton Hawaiian Village can be very noise due to the various events/live entertainment. The level of noise will range based on the location of the event/live entertainment. The Lagoon Tower is the oldest tower compared to the other three HHV towers that were newly built and offer better soundproofing. If you decide to choose the Lagoon Tower but don't like late evening noise, I suggest that you request a room on the marina side.

Kalia Tower is a combination hotel/timeshare tower. Kalia timeshare units are converted hotel rooms. The conversion was completed in December 2003. There are a total 72 timeshare units in the Kalia Tower. The rooms are located on 6 floors (floor # 12 through 18; there is no 13th floor)
Pros: Fancier; hardwood floors; separate service elevators and faster hotel elevators, better soundproofing.
Cons: Washer & dryer centrally located on each floor; hotel style bathrooms with combined tub/shower; smaller unit with smaller hotel size balconies

Grand Waikikian was built after Lagoon and Kalia towers and opened in December 2008. It was built as a timeshare (not a conversion) and therefore has some amenities the earlier two towers didn’t offer like in-room washer/dryer, separate tub/shower, etc. It's the fancier/luxury tower compared to Lagoon and Kalia but under the higher HGVC point structure.

The Grand Islander is the newest timeshare tower built (just opened May 2017) but it’s the furthest away from the ocean. The views can vary based on the floor you’re assigned. You’ll want to book a high floor to guarantee a great ocean view due to the location.

Older threads regarding the various towers at HHV

I agree and the point requirements are similar.

Platinum Season: Weeks 1–18, 23–35, 42–52 (Daily and weekly points listed below)

Unit type / Monday thru Thursday per night / Friday thru Sunday per night / weekly rate

Kalia Tower
1 Bedroom 480 960 4,800
1 Bedroom Plus 620 1,240 6,200

Lagoon Tower
1 Bedroom 480 960 4,800
1 Bedroom Plus 620 1,240 6,200
2 Bedroom 700 1,400 7,000
2 Bedroom Plus 840 1,680 8,400
2 Bedroom Premier 960 1,920 9,600
3 Bedroom Plus 960 1,920 9,600

Grand Waikikian
1 Bedroom 720 1,440 7,200