• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used Catzilla - Love City Excursions for boat days. Perfect for groups of 6-12. They now have 2 boats.
We had Thomas, who used to be with Island Roots. They are great too, but we have always loved Love City Excursions.
https://www.lovecityexcursions.com/catzilla/

Very reasonable and comparable to other charters on the island

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are any of the pool villas open?
We have about 6 weeks to go before we come and I am so hoping our building is open!!

Good Morning from St. John! We arrived Saturday and I am happy to report that the Westin Ferry worked out great for us. Since we are no longer young in body (but still at heart). . . letting someone else get us where we were going after a long day of travel was the way to go. The Westin property looks outstanding and the employees are very helpful.
Our pool villa is not yet ready for occupancy therefore, we are in a three bedroom villa of Bay Vista which is lovely with a fabulous view.
Since our pool villa has parking just outside the unit, our first reaction was OMG we have to walk a very long way and up a hill to get to our unit from the car. We are on vacation and this should not be a problem except when we are carrying cases of water and all the other crazy stuff we seem to need on vacation. LOL
The saving grace has been what seems like an abundance of golf cart shuttles and employees happy to stop to pick us up whenever they see us carrying things.
There seems to be some disconnect with The Westin getting kitchen tools. Our unit does not have a can opener, pasta strainer, or filter basket for the coffee pot and we have not yet been able to get them. These items are not vital until you have bought, many cans of sauce, pasta, meatballs, sausage and fixings for a large family meal. We did work things out by using a beer opener to pierce the cans and paper towels for the coffee pot until we could get other supplies.

Beaches! We went to Frances Bay on Sunday and the beach was great. The snorkeling was pretty good and with the exception of the shade provided by the tree brush which is no longer there, everything was just as it used to be.
On Monday we went to Maho. The beach was the same as Frances and we saw several turtles while snorkeling. The new great thing about Maho is the food truck, beach chair rental, flat board rental and drink stand which is now set up across the street from the beach. CASH only! Both beaches had bathroom / port a pot availability.

The portable umbrellas and beach chairs I bought worked great for us. We rented snorkeling equipment from the Westin.

The dinner we had at the pool bar restaurant the first night was very slow (45 minutes) but delicious and worth the wait. We stopped at Skinny Legs after leaving the beach on Monday and I am happy to report everything was great! They replaced the roof and things that needed to be redone and it looks just like it used to . . .like a great place for a burger on an island.

We rented a car here at the Westin and have had no problems getting around the island.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Are any of the pool villas open?
We have about 6 weeks to go before we come and I am so hoping our building is open!!

I believe 2 buildings are done - others still not completed. It will likely be close based on island time.
It has been dry (drought) - so that should help.
6 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another beautiful morning here on St. John.:) The two pool villa buildings 41 & 42 are not open yet. Since we own our week in villa 4111, we did a quick walk around and happened to walk into the open courtyard pool area and look in; the master bedroom showed the furniture was still being placed and not yet completed. The living room looked complete but the patio table had a broken glass top and no chairs, etc.

If cosmetic items are all that is missing they could be open by the May 5th date originally stated. I believe building 43 & 44 are open. Ferndale - I am guessing that you were not given a final reservation for your unit. Is that correct? If so, what unit do you own? I will try to check on it for you.

UPDATE: The items my unit was missing were brought to us. Thanks Westin!

The Mango Deli is full of everything you need in a grab and go situation. Lots of salads, sandwiches, bagels, muffins, croissants, milk, butter, snacks, coffee, cold drinks and more.

The Saint John Market and Deli is awesome! They have it all and they are open until 10:00. Everything we needed for the week could be found there including my favorite Cold Cafe Mocha Coffee. Did I mention they have great fried chicken.

Yesterday we stayed on property and enjoyed all the amenities the Westin has to offer. The new beach blow up slide, trampoline and walking wipe out pads are all connected and provided fun entertainment for the entire family.

Dinner last night at LIME INN was perfect! Downtown St John still has the great evening island feeling and while parking is still a premium, we found a space in a new parking lot and the price was only $10 for three hours. :cheer:

Last edited:

island22

TUG Member
Reaction score
OCsun: question for you, are the upper hillside villas/Virgin Grand still under construction? we arrive in about 3 weeks and were hoping to be placed in Virgin Grand phase. We like the Iguana pool and it's convenience and privacy also the close in parking as well! but honestly just glad to have the opportunity to be back on St John.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
OCSun: Can you take some pictures around Sunset Bay and the resort pool area? I am an owner there and would love to get an idea of how it looks now.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
@OCsun - if you get a chance - ask when B33-34 are expected to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Another beautiful morning here on St. John.:) The two pool villa buildings 41 & 42 are not open yet. Since we own our week in villa 4111, we did a quick walk around and happened to walk into the open courtyard pool area and look in; the master bedroom showed the furniture was still being placed and not yet completed. The living room looked complete but the patio table had a broken glass top and no chairs, etc.

If cosmetic items are all that is missing they could be open by the May 5th date originally stated. I believe building 43 & 44 are open. Ferndale - I am guessing that you were not given a final reservation for your unit. Is that correct? If so, what unit do you own? I will try to check on it for you.

UPDATE: The items my unit was missing were brought to us. Thanks Westin!

The Mango Deli is full of everything you need in a grab and go situation. Lots of salads, sandwiches, bagels, muffins, croissants, milk, butter, snacks, coffee, cold drinks and more.

The Saint John Market and Deli is awesome! They have it all and they are open until 10:00. Everything we needed for the week could be found there including my favorite Cold Cafe Mocha Coffee. Did I mention they have great fried chicken.

Yesterday we stayed on property and enjoyed all the amenities the Westin has to offer. The new beach blow up slide, trampoline and walking wipe out pads are all connected and provided fun entertainment for the entire family.

Dinner last night at LIME INN was perfect! Downtown St John still has the great evening island feeling and while parking is still a premium, we found a space in a new parking lot and the price was only $10 for three hours. :cheer:

I would love to see photos too. We are going to the Virgin Islands for 2 weeks in May but we decided to stay at the Ritz Carlton Residence Club in St Thomas after we sail the BVIs. I was so tempted to book at WSJ but I feel like I would rather stay in one resort for a week after sailing. I was able to book a 2 BR residence at the Ritz and thought I will visit stay there on this trip. I hope we can go by WSJ and check it out for a 2020 or 2021 trip.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
The upper hillside villa area is still considered a construction area and was too busy yesterday for us to drive up there. I really did not see any exterior work being done so it must be mostly interior final finishes.
David - I will ask your question when I check out today. I will take some pictures of the Westin property and pool area this morning and post them tomorrow. We are leaving on the 10:15am ferry this morning.

Yesterday we were at Hawks-nest all day. It is in great condition and faired the storm very well. The bathroom facilities are in great shape and the beach area had green shade areas and some small reefs which not many of the other beaches had. Dinner at Cafe Roma was very good. It is a small friendly Italian Restaurant with "yummy", food according to my grandkids. We had Caprease, Vodka Penne, Rigatoni with Mushroom Marinara and four personal 10 inch pizza's. The staff was great!. We made a stop at a place called Ire Pop which has very refreshing real fruit popsicles.

Wednesday we were at Cinnamon Bay. While everything about this area has been badly damaged, access to the beach area is fine. The parking area is open and there are port-a-pots.

A stop at Scoops Ice Cream, on our way back from the beach area on the corner of Mongoose Junction was delicious. It is homemade with different flavors each day.

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey glad you are having a great vacation!! We are building 44. I got a confirmation from Westin but don’t wholeheartedly trust that!!
Can’t wait to see David and robin in 6 weeks! Hope we get to enjoy our usual cheese and wine by the pool.

The upper hillside villa area is still considered a construction area and was too busy yesterday for us to drive up there. I really did not see any exterior work being done so it must be mostly interior final finishes.
David - I will ask your question when I check out today. I will take some pictures of the Westin property and pool area this morning and post them tomorrow. We are leaving on the 10:15am ferry this morning.

Yesterday we were at Hawks-nest all day. It is in great condition and faired the storm very well. The bathroom facilities are in great shape and the beach area had green shade areas and some small reefs which not many of the other beaches had. Dinner at Cafe Roma was very good. It is a small friendly Italian Restaurant with "yummy", food according to my grandkids. We had Caprease, Vodka Penne, Rigatoni with Mushroom Marinara and four personal 10 inch pizza's. The staff was great!. We made a stop at a place called Ire Pop which has very refreshing real fruit popsicles.

Wednesday we were at Cinnamon Bay. While everything about this area has been badly damaged, access to the beach area is fine. The parking area is open and there are port-a-pots.

A stop at Scoops Ice Cream, on our way back from the beach area on the corner of Mongoose Junction was delicious. It is homemade with different flavors each day.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1590.JPG IMG_1587.JPG Let me start with trying to post some pictures.

Everyone I asked assured me the remaining Grand Virgin Villa's will be open in May. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful the entire resort looks. The pool, the beach, the villas and grounds overall were pristine. The new office which is located where the fashion store was previously, looked beautiful and welcoming. We rented snorkeling equipment and coolers from the rental shop at the beach. I also believe you can rent chairs there but I did not confirm that! Sorry!

The return trip on the Westin Ferry was very impressive. All the staff were on target with every detail. 1) bottles of water were offered 2) number of people in party and number of bags checked were verified 3) staff to welcome you on board 4) staff at Red Hook waiting with new closed taxies and a mini bus to carry luggage and passages to airport 5) driver acted as tour guide and informed you about St. Thomas during the ride to the airport 6) luggage place on curb immediately upon arrival at airport. The Ferry ride was smooth and fast! I would highly recommend this mode of transportation.

I was told there were enormous amounts of staff working round the clock though this past fall putting the final touches on this outstanding resort. Even Thanksgiving and Christmas were working days at the resort. It showed! As owners we are appreciative and could not be prouder of this new Five Star Resort. Thanks to Westin/Marriott for making this happen.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The return trip on the Westin Ferry was very impressive. All the staff were on target with every detail. 1) bottles of water were offered 2) number of people in party and number of bags checked were verified 3) staff to welcome you on board 4) staff at Red Hook waiting with new closed taxies and a mini bus to carry luggage and passages to airport 5) driver acted as tour guide and informed you about St. Thomas during the ride to the airport 6) luggage place on curb immediately upon arrival at airport. The Ferry ride was smooth and fast! I would highly recommend this mode of transportation.

Thanks to Westin/Marriott for making this happen.

I am going for two weeks in the fall and considering using the Westin ferry. In the. Past, you had unlimited trips to St Thomas, but the ferry dropped you at the more centrally located crown bay.
With the ferry now going to red hook, do you know if they provide complimentary transportation to Charlotte Amalie?

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the photos and great information.
Can't wait to go and see all that has been done for it's owner's.

View attachment 11457 View attachment 11458 View attachment 11459 View attachment 11461 View attachment 11462 View attachment 11456 Let me start with trying to post some pictures.

Everyone I asked assured me the remaining Grand Virgin Villa's will be open in May. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful the entire resort looks. The pool, the beach, the villas and grounds overall were pristine. The new office which is located where the fashion store was previously, looked beautiful and welcoming. We rented snorkeling equipment and coolers from the rental shop at the beach. I also believe you can rent chairs there but I did not confirm that! Sorry!

I was told there were enormous amounts of staff working round the clock though this past fall putting the final touches on this outstanding resort. Even Thanksgiving and Christmas were working days at the resort. It showed! As owners we are appreciative and could not be prouder of this new Five Star Resort. Thanks to Westin/Marriott for making this happen.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_1564.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1566.JPG
Just a few more pictures I wanted to share!

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 127

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going for two weeks in the fall and considering using the Westin ferry. In the. Past, you had unlimited trips to St Thomas, but the ferry dropped you at the more centrally located crown bay.
With the ferry now going to red hook, do you know if they provide complimentary transportation to Charlotte Amalie?
Yes! The Westin Ferry does supply cab transportation to and from Charlotte Amalie on certain weekdays. I believe the shopping ferry leaves at 10:15 on those days.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes! The Westin Ferry does supply cab transportation to and from Charlotte Amalie on certain weekdays. I believe the shopping ferry leaves at 10:15 on those days.
Thank you, I was hoping that was the case. We have a few spots we like to visit and friends we would like to see on STT during those two weeks.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TRANSPORTATION, FERRY AND SHUTTLE SERVICE
Guests flying into the Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas, may choose to travel to St. John via public ferry services or the private Westin ferry.

Westin Ferry
If you choose the private Westin ferry service, you will check-in at the Westin reception desk at the airport and leave your luggage with the airport staff for direct transport to your villa. You will enjoy the 45-minute ride across the island of St. Thomas to the Red Hook ferry dock in an enclosed, air-conditioned van that is equipped with Wi-Fi. Upon arrival at the Red Hook dock, you will be met by Westin staff who will escort you to the private Westin ferry for a 15-minute ride directly to the resort dock, where you will be welcomed by the resort staff and offered transportation directly to your villa.

Please provide your flight information at least seven days prior your visit using the Diamond Lane form, to ensure that the airport staff is ready for your arrival. Please note that Westin ferry passes must be purchased at the Westin Airport office.

The Westin ferry service includes round-trip service from the airport and the resort (including all transportation and luggage fees), unlimited travel between St. John and St. Thomas for the duration of your stay, and daily shopping trips to downtown St. Thomas (including taxi service to and from the ferry dock).

2019 Pricing for the Westin Ferry

• Adult: US$120 round trip
  • Youth (ages 4-17): US$90 round trip
  • Children (3 and under): complimentary
Prices subject to change without notice. Note that the Owner discount is available for two adults per Owner reservation.

The private taxi and ferry operate on set schedules. While waiting, you are invited to relax in the Westin Airport Lounge.

Westin Ferry Schedule

FERRY DEPARTURE TIMES

DEPART WESTIN DOCK DEPART RED HOOK
5:15 a.m. **************6:00 a.m.
7:00 a.m. **************7:30 a.m.
8:15 a.m. ************** 9:15 a.m.
10:15 a.m. SHOPPING *****11:15 a.m.
12:15 p.m. SHOPPING ***** 2:30 p.m.
3:15 p.m. ***************4:30 p.m. SHOPPING
5:00 p.m. ****************6:00 p.m.
6:30 p.m. ****************/9:30 p.m.
11:40 p.m. ***************Open for last flight

Public Ferry
Owners and Guests may also choose to utilize the public transportation system in the U.S.V.I. Per person and luggage fees apply for taxi and ferry services. For information on public ferry service between St. Thomas and St. John, including pricing and schedules, visit U.S.V.I. public ferry transportation.

If you plan to rent a car during your stay, we recommend that you do so on St John. There are car barges that run between St. Thomas and St. John but wait time to load may be more than two hours during peak travel periods

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wish the ferry had a “evening option”
Leave WSJ on 5 pm. Shuttle to town with a town pick up at 8:30 to catch the 9:30 ferry

tperleberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John and Harborside
Harborside at Atlantis
Note that the Owner discount is available for two adults per Owner reservation.

What is the Owner discount price for the Westin Ferry?

schafercpa

Reaction score
Just got back from my 2nd trip to STJ since the hurricanes. Was always saddened when passing the gate at Caneel Bay. Some may have noticed this beautiful tree on the grounds to the left of the entrance that appeared to be a casualty of the storms. I finally stopped last week to take a picture and while talking to the guard, he mentioned that he was told that the tree is still alive!!!! Sure enough, if you look closely, you will see sprouts coming up from some of the branches.
Just thought I would pass on this small bit of good news !

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 117