• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No outside food or beverages at the pool. [Hyatt Coconut Planation]

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The "mess" concept doesn't make sense. Guests can easily be as sloppy with their food/drink as the resorts. It has to be a $$ thing.

I have been to plenty of Marriotts and a few Hyatts (including Wild Oak) and just don't recall the signage stating no outside food. But, then again it is possible I never noticed it.

In the end....Hyatts are incredible resorts and I will obey their rules or hide my box of crackers within the plush pool towels :)

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
They even include bottled water as an outside beverage at some golf courses.
I mentioned that I didn’t think people in the pool should be drinking beverages in the pool and got blasted for myopinion

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Personally I think having rules regarding the public spaces at a resort is very reasonable.

Yeah I’d rather bring my own cocktails or snacks down to the pool. In the same way I suppose that the seven year old kid with floaties wants to swim laps in the hot tub.

Maybe piles of lunch meat and chip wrappers and open jars of mayo are not exactly the poolside vibe the resort is going for. It’s hard to police the wide variety of human behavior. Better to just say “none” and let the discrete people do their thing than to try to explain what’s wrong with bringing the mini keg and red solo cups.

Sometimes just (mostly) following the rules is better for everybody.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have seen families with snacks by the pool and none has said anything that I have noticed. It is annoying when kids sit Iin the hot tub with bags of chips and snacks and drop crumbs in the water..That I can see restricting . When we have my granddaughter we always pack her favorite snacks. I cant see them enforcing that if guests are respectful.
Kids should not be in a hot tub under any circumstances let alone eating food in there (!)

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Large water parks in Wisconsin Dells prohibit outside food and beverages, they do allow one bottle of water at some. This includes places like the Wilderness and Kalahari with people staying onsite.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
I've seen posted notices poolside at a few Marriott timeshares (and hotels) that you can't bring your own liquor. At my resorts the annual newsletters say this is the reason, that it would put their liquor licenses in jeopardy.

We stayed at Marriott Beach Place several years ago and I'm almost positive they had a similar sign posted there. I can't remember if it included outside food as well but I think it did. I just assumed it was because they had a poolside snackbar and didn't want to lose sales. Didn't look like anyone was too worried about that rule, lots of people(including us) brought their own Yetis.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
If I were an owner, one that I pay the maintenance fees at, I would simply say, I own this for a week, go get the manger. This is my residence. Now I would use common sense, that is no glass poolside, clean up and all of that.
For the other "rule breakers" mangement should not restrict MY rights for the sake of a few "ME" people. Even though it might be much harder, fix that problem, don;t go the easy route and force your easy street solution on me. I ask would a rule no beverages in glass containers and or no cooking in your unit be OK, next?

I would prefer a special designated area. Signage that states...If you use this designated OWNERS area, you will not be sold any inside food or beverages.

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So you build resorts with kitchens in the units and then ban people from bringing things from their kitchens? Moronic.

Creekway6

Reaction score
We have seen the same thing at WOR. It's clearly a profit center -- and not a hygiene based rule -- as they will gladly let you float around their lazy river with beer in hand. The signs only appeared in the last couple of years. My approach is simple -- they use nondescript clear plastic 10 ounce cups with lids. So, I have a pack of those to go with my beverages of choice that we bring from the room, thank you very much. As for food, we tend to eat in the room, but will take light snacks with us to the pool and have never had an issue. We'd happily buy more food from the pool side service -- DW loves to spend the entire day at the pool -- but (a) the quality of food at WOR is terrible and (b) it's overpriced.

northjerseyjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Wellington (Newport, RI), Hyatt Residence Club Coconut Plantation (Bonita Springs, Fl), Inn on Long Wharf (Newport, RI)
Easy Solution at HRC Coconut Plantation: The store by the pool sells empty/new Star Bucks coffee cups. Loads of them at the pool

when we were there in late April. When you go home, clean and repack for next trip.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
FYI everyone, I received a call on my cellphone from a very nice young man with Marriott/Hyatt. He said they read posts on TUG and Facebook. He explained their reasons for the “no food/drinks/yetis/coolers” and was very concerned that we have a great time on our upcoming visits. Nice young man.
What is strange is how he knew my name and got my cellphone number. He specifically referenced my previous post on this thread...

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI everyone, I received a call on my cellphone from a very nice young man with Marriott/Hyatt. He said they read posts on TUG and Facebook. He explained their reasons for the “no food/drinks/yetis/coolers” and was very concerned that we have a great time on our upcoming visits. Nice young man.
What is strange is how he knew my name and got my cellphone number. He specifically referenced my previous post on this thread...

I suppose it's possible they looked for the largest party in June with a week 23 ownership and your name poped up. You referenced these points in your other post in this thread.

What was the reason for the "no food/drinks etc"?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I suppose it's possible they looked for the largest party in June with a week 23 ownership and your name poped up. You referenced these points in your other post in this thread.

What was the reason for the "no food/drinks etc"?
Haha exactly, maybe I should have read my post!!! That would definitely explain it!! He said there was no issue with food/drink for toddlers and infants and children, but the main issue is with alcohol. Apparently the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has some stringent rules. Most (if not all) bars in Texas do not let you BYOB (or in my case BYOGlenlivet), not just because of profit loss but also the liquor laws.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you are not at the Hyatt coconut plantation ?

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has some stringent rules.

With my family at WOR last weekend. Outside JB's was a big poster showing a guy in a yellow shirt - said if if you see this guy in the pool area, check for 'smuggled Glenlivit!

Just Kidding!!

BYW, we ate numerous meals at JB's (They smoke their own meats) Prices reasonable and all the food was good to great.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With my family at WOR last weekend. Outside JB's was a big poster showing a guy in a yellow shirt - said if if you see this guy in the pool area, check for 'smuggled Glenlivit!

Just Kidding!!

BYW, we ate numerous meals at JB's (They smoke their own meats) Prices reasonable and all the food was good to great.
They will be seeing that guy in yellow with a tumbler of good single malt very soon!! I agree completely about JB’s, the food has always been great and prices reasonable. But anything seems great when we can get away from eighteen kids twelve and under (my wife and I abandon our kids, nieces and nephews and their kids and JB’s is a goto place for us!). And one day we (my wife, sister and cousin and husband) completely abandon HWOR and spend the entire day in Gruene at the Hoity Toit, Gruene Hall and Pat’s with a sidetrip to Luckenbach. No kids that WHOLE DAY!!!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you are not at the Hyatt coconut plantation ?
No, we’ve never been there. We will be at HWOR for our annual summer kick off family chaos event.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Haha exactly, maybe I should have read my post!!! That would definitely explain it!! He said there was no issue with food/drink for toddlers and infants and children, but the main issue is with alcohol. Apparently the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has some stringent rules. Most (if not all) bars in Texas do not let you BYOB (or in my case BYOGlenlivet), not just because of profit loss but also the liquor laws.

It was nice of him to call, but I don't buy his story completely. The TABC part, sure, no outside alcohol. Ok, I agree with that. However, if you bring in a diet soda and a burger (both things they sell with a healthy profit margin), are they going to complain? They are not alcohol, so TABC would not care (I can't see you messing up a nice Glenlivet by spiking a diet soda with it).

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was nice of him to call, but I don't buy his story completely. The TABC part, sure, no outside alcohol. Ok, I agree with that. However, if you bring in a diet soda and a burger (both things they sell with a healthy profit margin), are they going to complain? They are not alcohol, so TABC would not care (I can't see you messing up a nice Glenlivet by spiking a diet soda with it).
You are right.. I’m sure there’s a component of not competing with their restaurant/bar service. For us, it seems reasonably priced and is pretty good. I was glad to be informed about the toddlers, we have 16 seven and under. We always end up with a huge Camp Armadillo bill!!!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holy cow Batman, hopefully they say "let that guy in the yellow shirt do whatever he wants, he has 18 kids under 12 years old with him... In fact, go offer him a nice Glen on the rocks!"
Considering the “coin” we leave there every June, I would think at least a double!!!!

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Just curious about the TABC, you pay "local taxes" in your maintenance fees, so are you not in your residence when you are there? And certain liquor laws not applicable.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the TABC, you pay "local taxes" in your maintenance fees, so are you not in your residence when you are there? And certain liquor laws not applicable.

There is no issue when you are in your unit. Typical liquor laws only affect the physical area around where a liquor license exists. If there is no restaurant/pool bar etc, there would be no need for a liquor license. Then there would be no issue having alcohol anywhere. (at least based on the ABC laws)