• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does a Aruba Surf Club (Gold Season) Lockoff of the Studio of 2Br have any Trading Value Through II?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
YES. Why would you think it would not? Just deposit it well in advance (hopefully a year in advance) for maximum trading value.

Be sure to reserve a desirable Gold Week at your home resort first!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm continuously amazed of the trading power of Marriott units, even off-season studios. The key is being able to put in the trade as early as possible. Like I bet you could get a nice 2BDRM HHI for Aug through Oct which to me would be a very nice value trade.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does a Aruba Surf Club (Gold Season) Lockoff to the Studio of 2Br have any Trading Value Through II if I deposit it?
Absolutely but it varies with the week a lot it seems. Your best bet is to deposit and request as early as possible and be as flexible as possible. Under 60 days out would have a lot less value.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
I’m new to MVC and was wondering what the process is to do what the OP asked? You lock off the studio portion of your 2 br. Then make a desirable week booking then deposit in II? The. You make your own request using the deposit? Thanks for any help.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
elked12,
Yes you lock off and book your home week- try for the highest TDI in your season.
You can do it online or call exactly 12 months ahead of the date you want to book.
You can either deposit into II and place your request ( your week will be good for 2 years in II)
Or request before you deposit- that saves your booking at your home resort in case you want to stay there or rent it if the request doesn’t come though.
You will get your week and exchange fees back in either case if you don’t get your exchange.
You can search manually with your week while your request is pending.

Last edited:

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We have always gotten good trades with our Surf Club lockoff. I can't remember everything but was pleased to get a 2 br at Newport Coast. The most exciting could have been seeing a 1 br back at the Surf Club for the week we had planned to go, then we deposited the 1 br half back into II and got a 1 br at Maui Ocean Club. The lockoff still gives you the "Marriott advantage" of seeing Marriott availability before others can see it.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
elked12,
Yes you lock off and book your home week- try for the highest TDI in your season.
You can do it online or call exactly 12 months ahead of the date you want to book.
You can either deposit into II and place your request ( your week will be good for 2 years in II)
Or request before you deposit- that saves your booking at your home resort in case you want to stay there or rent it if the request doesn’t come though.
You will get your week and exchange fees back in either case if you don’t get your exchange.
You can search manually with your week while your request is pending.

Thanks for the info. So you can do an II request before you deposit? What happens when/if your request comes through? Then you have to do the deposit to complete the transaction?

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
We have always gotten good trades with our Surf Club lockoff. I can't remember everything but was pleased to get a 2 br at Newport Coast. The most exciting could have been seeing a 1 br back at the Surf Club for the week we had planned to go, then we deposited the 1 br half back into II and got a 1 br at Maui Ocean Club. The lockoff still gives you the "Marriott advantage" of seeing Marriott availability before others can see it.

What’s the marriot advantage? Thanks in advance.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What’s the marriot advantage? Thanks in advance.
As mentioned, there is a period (20+ days?) when Interval MVC inventory is only available to other MVC owners, before being released to all other Interval members.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, there is a period (20+ days?) when Interval MVC inventory is only available to other MVC owners, before being released to all other Interval members.
I think it's 24 days. It used to be 21 days but related to the Horizon's debacle, it was changed to 24 days IIRC. It's also less within the flex change window of 60 days. It's worth noting that there are other factors to qualify for a given exchange. There are situations where the exchange is sitting there and one has an exchange request in but can't see the exchange because one doesn't qualify for it. Historically this was normally related to trade power and home resort qualify issues. With the advent of the upcharge for larger units, I don't have any information on how this might now be different but wouldn't be surprised if it was. The resort quality limitation can work for you or against you depending on what you have on deposit. Either direction it may make a given exchange difficult, even impossible, outside the 60 day window. Anecdotally it does not appear to be as much of an issue technically as it once was and Marriott to Marriott it's even less of an issue given the overall resort quality. But for a few resorts like HP or Vail it can be an issue at times in certain situations.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Aruba gold season weeks. I also own Platinum Grande Vista and Grand Chateau. Haven't figured out how much each unit has trading power. Typically the Grande Vista sees weeks the Aruba doesn't so I think the season has a lot to do with it. But sometimes it is the other way around. A mystery to me.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So you can do an II request before you deposit? What happens when/if your request comes through? Then you have to do the deposit to complete the transaction?

Yes.
I’m not sure of the specifics.
I never request first because I know I am not staying at my home resort the week I reserve and will definitely do an II exchange of some sort so I deposit first.

If you are already an II member with your other ts you can check out the buyers guide that is listed as legal information at the bottom of the page on II.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Your week will be automatically deposited as you set up the request.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, if you match your week is automatically deposited. If you don't you can set it up to be deposited at 75 days out or automatically returned to you. But if you're going to deposit anyway why not do so earlier so you have better trade power. While there are those that feel you get a priority with a request first, this does not appear to be the case and in the past II has denied that this is so.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your week will be automatically deposited as you set up the request.

It’s not automatically deposited into II “as you set up request” if you request first.
Deposit would occur after the request is fulfilled and exchange is confirmed.
That’s the difference between deposit first and request first.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s not automatically deposited into II “as you set up request” if you request first.
Deposit would occur after the request is fulfilled and exchange is confirmed.
That’s the difference between deposit first and request first.
Please read my reply again. The OP wanted to know if he had to do anything when his request first matched. The correct answer as stated by me and Dean is no, you don’t do anything, it will automatically deposit as you set up this request first. When s match is found, the week auto deposits. OP doesn’t have to do anything else.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please read my reply again. The OP wanted to know if he had to do anything when his request first matched. The correct answer as stated by me and Dean is no, you don’t do anything, it will automatically deposit as you set up this request first. When s match is found, the week auto deposits. OP doesn’t have to do anything else.

Yes, but you said it will be “automatically deposited as you set up the request.”
It’s deposited when the confirmation happens, not the request.
I’m the one who first replied to elked’s question.
We must just have different ways interpreting wording.
No worries.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you said it will be “automatically deposited as you set up the request.”
No worries.
It also might be automatically deposited at 75 days out. One has the choice but unless you specify they normally set it up as deposit at 75 days out.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:cool::cool::cool:
No worries.
I will just try again

Automatically deposited as you set up the “request (first)”
The “first” was implied as the OP Knows he did a request first not a deposit first.
Yes, we are all saying the same thing.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It also might be automatically deposited at 75 days out. One has the choice but unless you specify they normally set it up as deposit at 75 days out.
This I didn’t know as I can honestly say that during my 18 years of owning many Marriott weeks, I have never done a request first. And I have been a very successful Marriott II exchanger.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This I didn’t know as I can honestly say that during my 18 years of owning many Marriott weeks, I have never done a request first. And I have been a very successful Marriott II exchanger.
Historically they canceled your exchange that was pending if you got to the deposit point or deposited later but the current wording suggess they now do it differently And one might not lose their pending exchange request if they did so.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
No worries.
Sorry for the confusion but from what I can tell then, the only reason to do the request first without depositing would be to be able to keep the week you've booked and use it yourself or try to rent out (if your request doesn't come through)?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion but from what I can tell then, the only reason to do the request first without depositing would be to be able to keep the week you've booked and use it yourself or try to rent out (if your request doesn't come through)?

Yes that is true.

I mentioned in my first reply above I personally always know I’m not staying my home week so I just deposit and have 2 years to use it somehow.

Good luck!

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Just wanted to add that as a New (pending closing in the next couple weeks) MVC owner I am trying to get a jump on the in's and out's of all my options beforehand. Perhaps I should just wait till I close and get the membership into II and MVC and then start browsing all my options and then come back with questions which I'm sure I'll have. Just too excited I guess....LOL. Thank you All.