• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ko'Olina

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If have a reservation for (HZZBA) which is a 2Bed Penthouse Oceanview Lock off. Will I be assigned OV? I saw a developer bldg layout with all the views listed but can't locate it. Does anyone have a copy they can share?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Lucky you! I have been told MKO honors OV.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If have a reservation for (HZZBA) which is a 2Bed Penthouse Oceanview Lock off. Will I be assigned OV? I saw a developer bldg layout with all the views listed but can't locate it. Does anyone have a copy they can share?
I've discussed this directly with the Front Desk Manager, Guest Services manager and GM at Ko Olina and it's almost 100% you will get the PH OV (lower floor comparatively) and likely Moana building.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I agree with dean assesments as I have also spoken to all the same people on occasion.

You will most definitely get a penthouse, but as dean replied, it would be on a lower floor probably. Although I don't remember any penthouse unit below the 6th floor. All penthouse means is no one above you. If you look at the buildings, they are stepped like a pyramid at the ends of the buildings.

Also if get NAIA tower you could have the penthouse that is coded OV that looks straight over harbor next door. I believe Kona tower also has a penthouse OV that looks directly at NAIA tower and you have to look to the right to see an ocean view.

You got a great exchange into a very nice resort. If our times match up, i would love to talk with another tugger here. Enjoy your vacation here at mko.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Great exchange. I hear PH units at MKO are fantastic. And all history indicates MKO will provide that OV PH category even on an II exchange. No guarantee, but high likelihood.

I wish my 3BR had a guaranteed PH view. I think only the 2BRs had PH designation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with dean assesments as I have also spoken to all the same people on occasion.

You will most definitely get a penthouse, but as dean replied, it would be on a lower floor probably. Although I don't remember any penthouse unit below the 6th floor. All penthouse means is no one above you. If you look at the buildings, they are stepped like a pyramid at the ends of the buildings.

Also if get NAIA tower you could have the penthouse that is coded OV that looks straight over harbor next door. I believe Kona tower also has a penthouse OV that looks directly at NAIA tower and you have to look to the right to see an ocean view.

You got a great exchange into a very nice resort. If our times match up, i would love to talk with another tugger here. Enjoy your vacation here at mko.

One of our exchanges this past summer was a PH and I do believe it was 6th floor Moana.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Great exchange. I hear PH units at MKO are fantastic. And all history indicates MKO will provide that OV PH category even on an II exchange. No guarantee, but high likelihood.

I wish my 3BR had a guaranteed PH view. I think only the 2BRs had PH designation.
Only difference really between PH and regular villas would be the higher ceiling. Makes the living room and master feel bigger. Con is light comes in from the top row of windows as there are no drapes. If you want to sleep late and are bothered by sunlight, bring something to cover eyes. Also during the summer, the PH villas are a little warmer. The AC has a harder time cooling down the rooms with the high ceilings.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me to understand how the units are laid out.
Here is the bldg lay out which helped me with this also.

Attachments

• Ko Olina view map.png
    Ko Olina view map.png
    780.7 KB · Views: 75

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Only difference really between PH and regular villas would be the higher ceiling. Makes the living room and master feel bigger. Con is light comes in from the top row of windows as there are no drapes. If you want to sleep late and are bothered by sunlight, bring something to cover eyes. Also during the summer, the PH villas are a little warmer. The AC has a harder time cooling down the rooms with the high ceilings.

frank808- Do you know if the 3BR OV units on the top floors have the same PH higher ceiling and windows as 2BR PH units, even though the 3BRs top floor units weren't deeded as a PH?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
frank808- Do you know if the 3BR OV units on the top floors have the same PH higher ceiling and windows as 2BR PH units, even though the 3BRs top floor units weren't deeded as a PH?
Yes, from what I remember being in moana 3br 16th floor it was the high ceiling.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We were in the 16th (top) floor Ocean View 3BR in Nai’a tower last year and it was a normal ceiling....no PH add'l ceiling height.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any pictures of the Penthouse units you have stayed in?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

The extra light from windows sounds nice. I am usually an early riser anyways...

How much warmer are the PH units? We probably like to keep the room cooler than average... I had been considering trying to book a PH unit, but now you have me reconsidering that idea.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The extra light from windows sounds nice. I am usually an early riser anyways...

How much warmer are the PH units? We probably like to keep the room cooler than average... I had been considering trying to book a PH unit, but now you have me reconsidering that idea.
I usually set the thermostat to about 70 degrees F in non penthouse units. On the penthouse units, during summer, we set it at 67 degrees to get it to the same comfort level. Really only affects the AC during the months of june to mid august. The other months, the sun does not stay up as long to heat the unit up. During the other months, we set it about 69 degrees to stay comfortable.

Also when you check in during the summer months, it takes the AC a pretty long time to cool the unit down to our comfortable temp.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I usually set the thermostat to about 70 degrees F in non penthouse units. On the penthouse units, during summer, we set it at 67 degrees to get it to the same comfort level. Really only affects the AC during the months of june to mid august. The other months, the sun does not stay up as long to heat the unit up. During the other months, we set it about 69 degrees to stay comfortable.

Also when you check in during the summer months, it takes the AC a pretty long time to cool the unit down to our comfortable temp.

Thanks, that is very helpful. If we decide on Ko Olina it will probably be for May or a fall month. Sound like the AC won't be an issue then.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3

And be aware that they shut off the A/C when no one is in the room...

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And be aware that they shut off the A/C when no one is in the room...
There is a way to bypass the motion sensor :) I hate walking into a muggy room.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Yup, the thermostat can be placed into a VIP mode - Google it. Depends on the model of thermostat.