• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii: trading in or renting?

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
I'm looking at planning our first Hawaii trip for next year...planning to stay at one of the 3 Westin/Vistana properties in Maui. We're looking at going in June 2020 and debating if we should use our timeshare weeks to trade in (internally, using SO) or just pay to rent a week from an owner (through Tug/Redweek, etc.). A few questions:

1. Deciding between resorts: based on reading other reviews/posts, I think we'd stay at WKORV South or Nanea if we were going to rent/book an OF unit, but would prefer the North side for other views (really do not want to be looking at a parking lot!). We also like quieter/more relaxing experiences, and it seems like the North side is a bit quieter based on what I've read...is this accurate? Any major advantages to a certain resort over another? (not super familiar with Nanea)

2. Do the 3 Westins share amenities? Or just WKORV and WKORV North?

3. Since we are looking at a summer week (late June), do you think it will it be hard to find availability when trading via SO at the 8-month mark? And if I could only book a non-OF view, are chances slim I could get an OV and not IV? (This is a major reason I am thinking of renting - guarantee view).

4. If I rent, I would not be able to add my Marriott Bonvoy number to the reservation, correct?

5. If I rent, are the Westin resorts the best option? Or should I look at another resort, like the Hyatt Residence Club?

6. If I rent, are there other places I should look other than Tug and Redweek?

Thanks in advance for answers/insight into any of the questions! :)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
For renting also check vrbo.

grab

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use star options at 8 months you should assume IV.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
2. Do the 3 Westins share amenities? Or just WKORV and WKORV North?l

All 3 share amenities and charging privileges.

3. Since we are looking at a summer week (late June), do you think it will it be hard to find availability when trading via SO at the 8-month mark? And if I could only book a non-OF view, are chances slim I could get an OV and not IV? (This is a major reason I am thinking of renting - guarantee view).

To get a high season (late June week) you will have to make the reservation exactly at 8 months before check-in, and you should expect to get an Island View. Then, you should immediately submit a "special request" for a high floor and desired building on the Vistana website. FYI: You can only request a building(s) and high or low floor - you can't request "oceanfront or ocean view."

4. If I rent, I would not be able to add my Marriott Bonvoy number to the reservation, correct?

At check-in, I believe you can, but haven't done it or looked into it.

5. If I rent, are the Westin resorts the best option? Or should I look at another resort, like the Hyatt Residence Club?

The Hyatt Residence Club is lovely, and also much more expensive than the Westin - as much as $1,000-$2,000 more for ocean front.
-
6. If I rent, are there other places I should look other than Tug and Redneck?

HOW you rent is a lot more important than where you rent: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My autocorrect prefers "redneck"

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
2. Do the 3 Westins share amenities? Or just WKORV and WKORV North?l

All 3 share amenities and charging privileges.

To get a high season (late June week) you will have to make the reservation exactly at 8 months before check-in, and you should expect to get an Island View. Then, you should immediately submit a "special request" for a high floor and desired building on the Vistana website. FYI: You can only request a building(s) and high or low floor - you can't request "oceanfront or ocean view."

At check-in, I believe you can, but haven't done it or looked into it.

The Hyatt Residence Club is lovely, and also much more expensive than the Westin - as much as $1,000-$2,000 more for ocean front.
-
6. If I rent, are there other places I should look other than Tug and Redneck?

HOW you rent is a lot more important than where you rent: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ntal-is-legit-when-you-are-the-renter.109479/
For WKORV N which building would you request if not oceanfront?

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Thanks for the replies! Sorry, one more question - do all the second bedrooms in the Westins have king-sized beds? Or do any have queens?

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
At WKORV-N there are kings in both the studio and one bedroom sides of the 2BR lockoff.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
You can see the bed sizes and descriptions of all Vistana Resorts here - click on "destination" for the drop down menu:

https://www.vistana.com/destinations

Yep, thanks. I did check that but wanted to verify on here as I remembered some talk a while ago of bed changes in the studio - never know if I can fully trust what's on the website!

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Related question to #2 (shared amenities). I vaguely recall WAY back in the early days of WKORV, you could use the amenities (i.e. pool) at the Westin hotel, which is further south/next to Whaler's Village. Is that benefit still available today, or are those days long gone?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - that only lasted about a year, because the hotel people overwhelmed the timeshare resort.