• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bass Pro [Shops] sues Bluegreen

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
And the saga continues.

"Bass Pro Shops is suing the company that sells timeshares from kiosks inside its stores, claiming the company engaged in 'high pressure salesmanship' and didn't pay Bass Pro enough in commission."

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/3507150002

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, it's hard to bit my tongue on this one. Is Bass Pro really surprised that Bluegreen engages in 'high pressure salesmanship'? Or is the truth more like: Bass Pro is willing to ignore 'high pressure salesmanship' so long as the commissions are acceptable?

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Bluegreen and Johnny Morris are pretty tight with each other, with their very-nice Ridgedale, MO resorts. Have been for years.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Ok, it's hard to bit my tong on this one. Is Bass Pro really surprised that Bluegreen engages in 'high pressure salesmanship'? Or is the true more like: Bass Pro is willing to ignore 'high pressure salesmanship' so long as the commissions are acceptable?

Oh, that sounds painful..... :p

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I'd imagine it's more due to blue greens high pressure sales tactics than him not getting his cut. He used to offer lifetime warranty on items bought at Bass pro no matter what. Dad has a pair of hip waders for five years that he used heavily that he literally wore out. Just walked in and swapped them out for new, no questions asked.
And it's not like the guy needs money either.
John Morris is with 6.4billion, Bass pro annual revenue is around $8 billion with 45,000 employees.
Blue greens assets are valued around $1.1 billion with 4500 employees.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just seems that Bluegreen wasn't paying the commission on the sales of sampler packages and only if the person bought outright.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Two other thoughts. As a LEO, or just someone who watches a lot more news than I'd like to: when a person or company is "unavailable for comment", ""refuses to provide a statement", or immediately "lawyers up" it doesn't bode well for their side of the argument/issue.
Thought two: Its possible blue green has hurt the image of big cedar and or Bass pro by their actions/customer service or lack thereof and Bass pro/John Morris is trying to distance themselves from BlueGreen

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some related passages from the BG Annual Report suggesting an increase in defaults:

From 2017 ...
"On October 9, 2017, Bass Pro advised us that it believes the amounts paid to it as VOI [Vacation Ownership Interest] sales commissions should not have been adjusted for certain purchaser defaults. We previously informed Bass Pro that the aggregate amount of such adjustments for defaults charged back to Bass Pro between January 2008 and June 2017 totaled approximately $4.8 million. We believe these charge backs were appropriate and consistent with the terms and intent of the agreements with Bass Pro, and we are continuing to discuss the matter with Bass Pro. On October 20, 2017, in order to demonstrate our good faith, we paid this amount to Bass Pro pending a resolution of the matter in the ordinary course. We recognized the $4.8 million payment as general and administrative expense during the fourth quarter of 2017. In addition, the resolution of the matter may adversely impact our future marketing expenses."

From 2018 ...
"We have an exclusive marketing agreement with Bass Pro, a nationally-recognized retailer of fishing, marine, hunting, camping and sports gear, that provides us with the right to market and sell vacation packages at kiosks in each of Bass Pro’s retail locations. As of December 31, 2018, we sold vacation packages in 69 of Bass Pro’s stores. Bass Pro has a loyal customer base that strongly matches our core demographic. Under the agreement, we also have the right to market VOIs in Bass Pro catalogs and on its website, and to access Bass Pro’s customer database. In exchange, we compensate Bass Pro based on VOI sales generated through the program. No compensation is paid to Bass Pro under the agreement on sales made at Bluegreen/Big Cedar Vacations’ resorts. During the years ended December 31, 2018, 2017 and 2016, VOI sales to prospects and leads generated by the agreement with Bass Pro accounted for approximately 14%, 15% and 16%, respectively, of our VOI sales volume. Our marketing alliance with Bass Pro originated in 2000, has been renewed twice and currently runs through 2025.

"We have continued to meet with Bass Pro’s leadership in an effort to resolve the issues which arose between the parties in 2017 and 2018. While there is no assurance that a resolution will be reached, we remain optimistic that we will achieve a resolution of the outstanding issues. We are hopeful that the resolution will address the timing of entry into the Cabela’s stores and an extension of the parties’ agreements. If reached, the resolution may include a restructuring of the amount and timing of compensation paid to Bass Pro. In the meantime, we continue to execute our vacation package marketing strategy under our current agreement with Bass Pro. While we do not believe that any material additional amounts are due to Bass Pro, our future results would be impacted if the issues are not resolved and by any change in the compensation payable to Bass Pro or the calculation of payments or reimbursements utilized pursuant to the agreements."

And elsewhere in the 2018 report ...
"Commencing in 2015, it came to our attention that our collection efforts with respect to our VOI [Vacation Ownership Interest] notes receivable were being impacted by a then emerging, industry-wide trend involving the receipt of 'cease and desist' letters from exit firms and their attorneys purporting to represent certain VOI owners. Following receipt of these letters, we are unable to contact the owners unless allowed by law. We believe these exit firms have encouraged such owners to become delinquent and ultimately default on their obligations and that such actions and our inability to contact the owners are a primary contributor to the increase in our annual default rates. Our average annual default rates have increased from 6.9% in 2015 to 8.4% in 2018. We also estimate that approximately 14.4% of the total delinquencies on our VOI notes receivable as of December 31, 2018 related to VOI notes receivable subject to this issue."

matt0o

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Cedar
I was in a presentation last weekend at a wilderness club resort and they mentioned this to me at the beginning of the presentation which I thought was odd. will something like this have the potential to make any changes to the current bass pro/Bluegreen resorts. these are my resorts I weekend at frequently because of im an hour away from all of them.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in a presentation last weekend at a wilderness club resort and they mentioned this to me at the beginning of the presentation which I thought was odd. will something like this have the potential to make any changes to the current bass pro/Bluegreen resorts. these are my resorts I weekend at frequently because of im an hour away from all of them.

The deeds that back your points are owned by the Bluegreen Vacation Club trust. All the Wildness Club deeds will remain in the trust and members will share common access to those use-rights.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Some people learn the hard way not to take on Johnny.

I'm close to this, and could say more, but I'm close to this, so can't say more.

:cool:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Some people learn the hard way not to take on Johnny.

I'm close to this, and could say more, but I'm close to this, so can't say more.

:cool:
Are you Johnny Morris?:eek:

IFeelScrewed

Reaction score
Here are some related passages from the BG Annual Report suggesting an increase in defaults:

From 2017 ...
"On October 9, 2017, Bass Pro advised us that it believes the amounts paid to it as VOI [Vacation Ownership Interest] sales commissions should not have been adjusted for certain purchaser defaults. We previously informed Bass Pro that the aggregate amount of such adjustments for defaults charged back to Bass Pro between January 2008 and June 2017 totaled approximately $4.8 million. We believe these charge backs were appropriate and consistent with the terms and intent of the agreements with Bass Pro, and we are continuing to discuss the matter with Bass Pro. On October 20, 2017, in order to demonstrate our good faith, we paid this amount to Bass Pro pending a resolution of the matter in the ordinary course. We recognized the $4.8 million payment as general and administrative expense during the fourth quarter of 2017. In addition, the resolution of the matter may adversely impact our future marketing expenses."

From 2018 ...
"We have an exclusive marketing agreement with Bass Pro, a nationally-recognized retailer of fishing, marine, hunting, camping and sports gear, that provides us with the right to market and sell vacation packages at kiosks in each of Bass Pro’s retail locations. As of December 31, 2018, we sold vacation packages in 69 of Bass Pro’s stores. Bass Pro has a loyal customer base that strongly matches our core demographic. Under the agreement, we also have the right to market VOIs in Bass Pro catalogs and on its website, and to access Bass Pro’s customer database. In exchange, we compensate Bass Pro based on VOI sales generated through the program. No compensation is paid to Bass Pro under the agreement on sales made at Bluegreen/Big Cedar Vacations’ resorts. During the years ended December 31, 2018, 2017 and 2016, VOI sales to prospects and leads generated by the agreement with Bass Pro accounted for approximately 14%, 15% and 16%, respectively, of our VOI sales volume. Our marketing alliance with Bass Pro originated in 2000, has been renewed twice and currently runs through 2025.

"We have continued to meet with Bass Pro’s leadership in an effort to resolve the issues which arose between the parties in 2017 and 2018. While there is no assurance that a resolution will be reached, we remain optimistic that we will achieve a resolution of the outstanding issues. We are hopeful that the resolution will address the timing of entry into the Cabela’s stores and an extension of the parties’ agreements. If reached, the resolution may include a restructuring of the amount and timing of compensation paid to Bass Pro. In the meantime, we continue to execute our vacation package marketing strategy under our current agreement with Bass Pro. While we do not believe that any material additional amounts are due to Bass Pro, our future results would be impacted if the issues are not resolved and by any change in the compensation payable to Bass Pro or the calculation of payments or reimbursements utilized pursuant to the agreements."

And elsewhere in the 2018 report ...
"Commencing in 2015, it came to our attention that our collection efforts with respect to our VOI [Vacation Ownership Interest] notes receivable were being impacted by a then emerging, industry-wide trend involving the receipt of 'cease and desist' letters from exit firms and their attorneys purporting to represent certain VOI owners. Following receipt of these letters, we are unable to contact the owners unless allowed by law. We believe these exit firms have encouraged such owners to become delinquent and ultimately default on their obligations and that such actions and our inability to contact the owners are a primary contributor to the increase in our annual default rates. Our average annual default rates have increased from 6.9% in 2015 to 8.4% in 2018. We also estimate that approximately 14.4% of the total delinquencies on our VOI notes receivable as of December 31, 2018 related to VOI notes receivable subject to this issue."
Do you have a copy of this report? The "access Bass Pro’s customer database" I think it is very concerning for Bass Pro customers

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Do you have a copy of this report? The "access Bass Pro’s customer database" I think it is very concerning for Bass Pro customers
This is a very old post.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Looks like they paid up.

IFeelScrewed

Reaction score
This is a very old post.
I know, but if anyone had a copy, and it was looked into that it was true. I'm sure some Bass Pro customers wouldn't like their info being shared with a timeshare company and would put Bass Pro in a hot spot again about being partners with BlueGreen