• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Misplaced Deed

lindsey1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is embarrassing... we bought two HGVC Timeshares about ten years ago. A year and a half ago we moved to a new state. I suspect we lost or misplaced our deeds during the move ie I cannot locate them. I presume we cannot sell or transfer ownership without these deeds. I do not have any documentation on our purchase at all - ie I don't know the title company that was used back then. Would anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed obtaining our deeds? Should I contact HGVC? Many Thanks!!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Google the county recorder for wherever your timeshares are located at. It's usually super easy to search public records and order a copy of the deeds.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Do a search of the public records in the county where the deed was recorded. Put as much information as you can but if you don't get what you're looking for, delete some of the information. You'll get more results.

I found deeds for my sister-in-law who lives in Medellín, Colombia knowing nothing but her name and the county where the records were.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
This is embarrassing... we bought two HGVC Timeshares about ten years ago. A year and a half ago we moved to a new state. I suspect we lost or misplaced our deeds during the move ie I cannot locate them. I presume we cannot sell or transfer ownership without these deeds. I do not have any documentation on our purchase at all - ie I don't know the title company that was used back then. Would anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed obtaining our deeds? Should I contact HGVC? Many Thanks!!

Contact the county recorder in which you own. They would be able to tell you how to lget a copy of the deed.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was quick. One hour and about 10 minutes from a request to find something, and the report that all is well and the lost item is found. On Easter Sunday, to boot.

You gotta love TUG and the internet!

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm not sure it matters. I suspect that if you use a closing company, they will search out the deed for you...

George
They will often charge an additional fee to do so.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks to all of you!

I was able to google Hawaii County recorder and managed to download a PDF copy of our deeds.
Did you have to pay for it? In my experience, it seems that Hawaii charges for downloading recorded documents.

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Another option is calling HGVC directly. They have an office in Florida that you can pay a ($30?) fee and they will send you a copy of your deed.

Good for you though on being able to find it for free!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Good for you though on being able to find it for free!
Maybe not free, Hawaii Bureau of Conveyances charges a fee to download recorded document copies. Looks like it is $8 for a non-certified copy of a deed. This is in contrast to many other counties, like Orange County FL that charges no fee to obtain electronic copies that you can download and print.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a thought- put in the name of the original owner of the property like Marriott, and it will show what units are being sold for by the resort at the present time. So, when your children go to sell your units online a few years fron now, they will know what they are being sold for. I have four Marriotts in the offseason at Hilton Head Island and know they are worthless, but Marriott is now taking back their units for nothing, so I have a way out that way. Just a thought - Patrick

lindsey1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I had to pay $7 for the download PDF. I have no intention to sell at this time nor the near future. When I discovered I had misplaced (lost) all my HGVC documentation, I figured I needed the deed at the very least in the event of future selling and/or ownership transfer to the kids. Thanks again for all of you guy's assistance! You're all awesome!