• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Verizon 55+ Unlimited Plan - Well NOT so fast

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I figured since I was having the 55 birthday I might as well save some cake on my cell phone bill. But well, what can I say, Verizon wins the stupid award. Either there Marketing Department is Stupid or their IT staff is stupid.

Here is what the website says....

To be eligible, you must meet all the following requirements:

• Be 55 years of age or older
  • Have 1 or 2 phones on your account
  • Have a Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Texas or Detroit, Michigan, billing address on your account
Check, Check and check. But alas I am not eligible.

What they really mean and actually implemented, I discovered, is that if you were born in 1963 or earlier, you will be eligible. They apparently have NO idea that people have birthdays every day of the year. So apparently all of us 1964 birthdays have to wait until some point in the future they change the logic in the rule so that we may actually be recognized as 55 years of age. Expect the end of the year when everyone in 1964 magically get added.

I feel like I am getting ripped off $20 * 8 months = $160.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I figured since I was having the 55 birthday I might as well save some cake on my cell phone bill. But well, what can I say, Verizon wins the stupid award. Either there Marketing Department is Stupid or their IT staff is stupid.

Here is what the website says....

Check, Check and check. But alas I am not eligible.

What they really mean and actually implemented, I discovered, is that if you were born in 1963 or earlier, you will be eligible. They apparently have NO idea that people have birthdays every day of the year. So apparently all of us 1964 birthdays have to wait until some point in the future they change the logic in the rule so that we may actually be recognized as 55 years of age. Expect the end of the year when everyone in 1964 magically get added.

I feel like I am getting ripped off $20 * 8 months = $160.
Verizon doesn't seem like they are trying very hard these days.

I saw that yesterday. I was so excited at first, but I live in CA so no dice. Off to T-Mobile, I guess.

Btw, Happy Birthday!!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just to give you folks another option: After nearly 20 years as a loyal Verizon customer, I wanted to try and reduce my cell bill. Verizon gave me no love, and didn't even blink when I said I was thinking of going elsewhere. I ended up going to Consumer Cellular last Fall. Cut my bill literally in half, and I have a larger data plan than I had with Verizon. Zero issues, great coverage, and I'm very, very pleased - and the extra money in my pocket is not a bad thing at all.

And yes, Sandy, Happy Birthday! :)

Dave

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We moved to the T-mobile 55 plan.....(great deal) and then moved to the Military plan because we're still grandfathering our kids for another few years.
Couldn't be happier.

Frankly, Sprint ripped us off for several years before we left. Verizon laughed at us when told them what the T-mobile quote was. They aren't laughing now......

Plus, the roaming service for INTL travel is really great. Sadly, TMO did bump up the original price of the 55 service a few dollars, but it's still killer.
If you do consider TMO, please get a new or near new TMO phone. Other phones will work, but TMO phones have specific bands (frequencies) that not on all compatible phones.

Of course, Costco sells some great cell phones that work beautifully on TMO. The MOTO G6 is only about $150 and works great for TMO and international travel. It's the best offer for Seniors going IMO.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I use Straight Talk unlimited $45 per month with my $135 IPHONE SE.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We also have the TMobile senior plan. We pay much less than we did on AT&T with much better service. A couple of months ago we got an email saying we could add a line so we added our son for $20 a month for unlimited talk, text and data. He was paying $60 at AT&T.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I have the T Mobile plan also. Great deal and they send you discounts every Tuesday.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
One more thing. If you’re on T Mobile you get MLB for FREE!

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
We have Total Wireless using Moto unlocked phones on the Verizon networks. $60 (or less if you buy refill cards on sale) for two people unlimited talk and text, shared 15 gig data. So we still have the reliability of Verizon but not the price.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I worked for a start up that was a joint venture between AT&T, Verizon and Team Mobile. It was a really interesting four years with these three working together.