• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is RCI selling member lists & telephone numbers?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
For the last several years every time I make a transaction (renewing membership, exchanging, booking Extra or Last Call weeks) with RCI online we are inundated with timeshare solicitations for the next week or so. I wonder if RCI is selling our contact info or is there some type of program that gets triggered when we make a transaction that spits out names and telephone numbers to a 3rd party? It is really ticking me off!!

I booked an Extra week during RCI's sale earlier this week and we have just had our 7th call (on Good Friday even!) from a timeshare sales person since that transaction. They are not all from the same company and not for the same area. Yesterday I had 3 calls and the one at 6pm (as we were eating dinner) got a very rude response from me! A guy earlier in the day insisted that we had used our Mastercard (he gave me the last 4 numbers of it) to purchase an $800 travel voucher for timeshare stays and hadn't used it yet. I told him we are very careful with our money and would never spend that amount on something and not use it. DH thinks I should contact RCI and change our telephone number in their records to an invalid telephone number like a fax line or payphone.

Does anybody else have this happen?

~Diane

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience is not quite like yours. I feel your anger and frustration. You probably did not listen to their sales pitch but, in case you did, what were they trying to sell you after you booked and Extra Week?

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way to survive in 2019 is to put your cell phone number as the primary contact number and don’t answer unless it is someone you know. Consumer reports just ran an article about robo calls and said the average person gets 20-30 a month. In 2020 cell phone companies are rolling out new programs to stop robo calls and TMobile has already started one called STIP/ xxxxxx. I don’t remember the second part, but the program is only available on Samsung phones right now. Anyway, don’t answer unless you know who it is.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That's just the nature of timeshare. We get lots of calls daily from all scammers. I don't think RCI sells our names, but there are lists of timeshare owners that people buy to scam.

Maybe this is no coincidence for you, maybe it was because you rented an Extra Vacation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
For the last several years every time I make a transaction (renewing membership, exchanging, booking Extra or Last Call weeks) with RCI online we are inundated with timeshare solicitations for the next week or so. I wonder if RCI is selling our contact info or is there some type of program that gets triggered when we make a transaction that spits out names and telephone numbers to a 3rd party? It is really ticking me off!!

I booked an Extra week during RCI's sale earlier this week and we have just had our 7th call (on Good Friday even!) from a timeshare sales person since that transaction. They are not all from the same company and not for the same area. Yesterday I had 3 calls and the one at 6pm (as we were eating dinner) got a very rude response from me! A guy earlier in the day insisted that we had used our Mastercard (he gave me the last 4 numbers of it) to purchase an $800 travel voucher for timeshare stays and hadn't used it yet. I told him we are very careful with our money and would never spend that amount on something and not use it. DH thinks I should contact RCI and change our telephone number in their records to an invalid telephone number like a fax line or payphone.

Does anybody else have this happen?

~Diane

Perhaps you should get on RCI's website and look at their Privacy Policy and ensure you opt-out of the sharing of information.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My experience is not quite like yours. I feel your anger and frustration. You probably did not listen to their sales pitch but, in case you did, what were they trying to sell you after you booked and Extra Week?

I listened to the start of the spiel on all but 1 of them. One was to preview a 'new' resort in Las Vegas, one was for the Outer banks, one was Myrtle Beach, another was a package for 3 nights in Orlando, 2 nights in Daytona Beach and a 2 night Bahama Cruise. I didn't listen long enough to hear the destination on the others. Most of them said we had some sort of travel credit left from a previous vacation - lie! We only book through RCI and just pay for the week we are booking, then take/use all of that week. One guy told DH we had an $1800. vacation credit so DH told him great find us a trip that costs $1799.! The caller just hung up.

~Diane

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Perhaps you should get on RCI's website and look at their Privacy Policy and ensure you opt-out of the sharing of information.

Thanks, I read their privacy policy and then emailed them to ask that they not share any of our info with any other company/person. I don't mind RCI calling, especially when I have an ongoing search on, but I don't want these other calls from companies that are bordering on harassment telling me that we have paid for, and unused, vacations with them.

~Diane

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you contact RCI they will send you the disclosure as to whom they release information. You can not opt out of all sharing but you can limit it. The same is true for timeshare organizations, Banks, Credit Card Companies, etc.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I received the same call about having a credit and not using it, he wanted to “help” me book something.

I have an RCI account but haven’t used it for over a year, I’m going to let it expire in Feb.

I also received calls in Dec wanting me to renew because it was expiring, told them their information was old because it was already renewed to 2020.

I think it is ex employees taking information when they leave. I wouldn’t be surprised if scammers take a job with RCI just to pilfer user contact information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I made the mistake of leaving my cell # at check-in at a HGVC resort.
I got solicitations on my cell # for the next few weeks.
When asked, I now decline.

My cell phone now asks if I want to block any first time caller.