• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana/MVC merger? 5-star elite to Titanium status?

yezzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I apologize if this is a re-post. I searched both this forum and the MVC forum for similar threads, but I didn’t see any.

We’re finishing up a wonderful week at Nanea (fortunately, no sewer smell ). Against our better judgement, we attended the owners update this morning. I heard a few tidbits that I thought I would share.

First, we were told that there is currently a plan to combine Vistana, MVC, and the Hyatt vacation properties into one network, and that this is probably going to launch sometime this year, likely in Q4. There would be some direct conversion from SOs to Marriott vacation points, and that the conversion would be based on the home resort: i.e 144,800 SOs from, say, Lagunamar, would convert to fewer MVC points than 144,800 SOs from, say, Westin Princeville. Bottom line: we’d be able to directly book into any of the 3 networks using our SOs thru some internal conversation process without having to trade thru II.

Second, I expressed some concern that our 5-star Elite benefits had been diluted thru the merger; specifically, that the “SPG platinum for life” benefit, which was the highest level of loyalty within the SPG system, is no longer the highest within the Bonvoy system. In response, I was told that there was already a plan in place to elevate 5-Star Elite members to “lifetime Bonvoy Titanium status” later this year.

Obviously, I take anything I hear at these updates with an enormous grain of salt. Curious if any other owners have heard similar things.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Hi all, I apologize if this is a re-post. I searched both this forum and the MVC forum for similar threads, but I didn’t see any.

We’re finishing up a wonderful week at Nanea (fortunately, no sewer smell ). Against our better judgement, we attended the owners update this morning. I heard a few tidbits that I thought I would share.

First, we were told that there is currently a plan to combine Vistana, MVC, and the Hilton vacation properties into one network, and that this is probably going to launch sometime this year, likely in Q4. There would be some direct conversion from SOs to Marriott vacation points, and that the conversion would be based on the home resort: i.e 144,800 SOs from, say, Lagunamar, would convert to fewer MVC points than 144,800 SOs from, say, Westin Princeville. Bottom line: we’d be able to directly book into any of the 3 networks using our SOs thru some internal conversation process without having to trade thru II.

Second, I expressed some concern that our 5-star Elite benefits had been diluted thru the merger; specifically, that the “SPG platinum for life” benefit, which was the highest level of loyalty within the SPG system, is no longer the highest within the Bonvoy system. In response, I was told that there was already a plan in place to elevate 5-Star Elite members to “lifetime Bonvoy Titanium status” later this year.

Obviously, I take anything I hear at these updates with an enormous grain of salt. Curious if any other owners have heard similar things.
I think you mean Hyatt though rather than Hilton . Did they say you would need to buy Marriott points to enroll your Vistana or Hyatt weeks?

yezzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you mean Hyatt though rather than Hilton . Did they say you would need to buy Marriott points to enroll your Vistana or Hyatt weeks?
You’re correct - Hyatt, not Hilton. My apologies - original post corrected. They did not specifically say whether or not we would need to buy Marriott points, but it was implied that we would not. Details seem very fuzzy at this point.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I had a Nanea owner's update on April 4. I was also told that a plan was in place to move 5-Star Elite to Titanium status. The salesperson didn't say anything about combining the three systems. I was asked about increasing my points in Nanea or Westin Flex and I was told to never trade in my WKORV-N OF for anything (as if I needed to be told that). We were out in 70 minutes with 30,000 Bonvoy points and all the cash I walked in with.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

SPG Platinum for life was actually the fourth highest level (equivalent to Platinum 25stays), being lower than Platinum 50nts and 75nts levels and 100nts (aka Ambassador) level. Each level added more benefits that were not given to 5 Star Elite owners, unless they also stayed on the hotel side for that many nights each year.

I don't see how they are going to give out Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, as that is now a legacy status that can not be earned. it was granted to those who had qualified from either Marriott or SPG hotel side up to between Aug and Jan. the criteria did not take in to account VSE ownership.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't see how they are going to give out Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, as that is now a legacy status that can not be earned. it was granted to those who had qualified from either Marriott or SPG hotel side up to between Aug and Jan. the criteria did not take in to account VSE ownership.

Top-tier owners in Marriott Vacation Club (Presidential and Chairman's) already get Titanium Status in Bonvoy, so it would make sense that top-tier Vistana owners would get the same. It's not really "Lifetime" since if you sell your ownership the status goes away, but for all practical purposes it functions like lifetime since you don't have to qualify each year based on nights, etc.

tperez

Reaction score
First, we were told that there is currently a plan to combine Vistana, MVC, and the Hyatt vacation properties into one network, and that this is probably going to launch sometime this year, likely in Q4. There would be some direct conversion from SOs to Marriott vacation points, and that the conversion would be based on the home resort: i.e 144,800 SOs from, say, Lagunamar, would convert to fewer MVC points than 144,800 SOs from, say, Westin Princeville. Bottom line: we’d be able to directly book into any of the 3 networks using our SOs thru some internal conversation process without having to trade thru II.

Funny... we're just completing a week at KOR south and attended an owner's update and were told the plan was to combine Vistana and MVC. I asked specifically about Hyatt and was told Hyatt wasn't in the plan right now. Also we were told the launch was probably sometime next year.

Didn't hear anything about getting Titanium status though.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Top-tier owners in Marriott Vacation Club (Presidential and Chairman's) already get Titanium Status in Bonvoy, so it would make sense that top-tier Vistana owners would get the same. It's not really "Lifetime" since if you sell your ownership the status goes away, but for all practical purposes it functions like lifetime since you don't have to qualify each year based on nights, etc.

that makes more sense that it is Titanium each year -- now that I think about it, I seem to remember some email to that effect circulating from VSE late last year? I'm already Lifetime Titanium and Ambassador annually from the hotel side, so I may not have paid that much attention to the message to us 5-Star Elites.

only thing is they would not get the benefit choices at 50nts and 75nts unless they actually stayed that many nights in the year, so same as the Platinum25 mapping in the old system vs the 50/75/100nts versions.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
that makes more sense that it is Titanium each year -- now that I think about it, I seem to remember some email to that effect circulating from VSE late last year? I'm already Lifetime Titanium and Ambassador annually from the hotel side, so I may not have paid that much attention to the message to us 5-Star Elites.

only thing is they would not get the benefit choices at 50nts and 75nts unless they actually stayed that many nights in the year, so same as the Platinum25 mapping in the old system vs the 50/75/100nts versions.

If an owner is 5-Star Elite, it should be pretty easy to hit 50 nights now that Vistana timeshare nights count. I'll hit 50 by May 1 with a combination of Vistana, Marriott and the 15 credit card nights.

If a 5-Star Elite is not hitting 50 nights by the end of the year, they may not be maximizing use of their ownership.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Funny... we're just completing a week at KOR south and attended an owner's update and were told the plan was to combine Vistana and MVC. I asked specifically about Hyatt and was told Hyatt wasn't in the plan right now. Also we were told the launch was probably sometime next year.

Didn't hear anything about getting Titanium status though.

Are you currently 5-Star Elite?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
If an owner is 5-Star Elite, it should be pretty easy to hit 50 nights now that Vistana timeshare nights count. I'll hit 50 by May 1 with a combination of Vistana, Marriott and the 15 credit card nights.

I'm at 86nts right now for the year between actual stays (work and holidays) and promotional nights and expect to hit 163nts this year plus whatever I stay in the fall months for work...
If a 5-Star Elite is not hitting 50 nights by the end of the year, they may not be maximizing use of their ownership.

agreed. you'd have to own around 4.5wks of 2BR units give or take, so that's 9wks = 63nts of stays, give or take, add in the credit card nights, and 75nts should not be unreasonable and enough to get the benefit choices at 50/75nts...

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

Very positive news.
Thanks!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there is some truth in this.

Last edited: