• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for iPad help

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We are in Sedona. Used the iPad last night while watching tv with one eye. Set it down for 1/2 hour, and suddenly it wants to be “activated”. Follow the screen directions and I get the message “Your iPad cannot be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iPad to iTunes to activate it.” The iTunes suggestion didn’t work in that nothing happened when I tried to follow the screen to iTunes.

I hoped it would regain its composure over night, but no. I wondered if the issue was that I no longer have the ATT connection that cost me $15 each month; we turned that off in January when we closed business credit card, so timing is suspicious. But then I did a bit of googling on my iPhone and found complaints going back to 2017 with many people saying they got this message on older iPads (mine is from spring 2012) because Apple is trying to force them into buying new devices. I tried several times holding home and wake button simultaneously and that didn’t work.

I really don’t want to lose most of a vacation day with a drive to Phoenix to try to get help from an Apple store. Does anyone have any suggestions?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Google showed me this, from the Forbes website:

Several users on the Apple Support Communities have reported that the bug seems to be primarily affecting iPad 2 models. The error message that appears says: “Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iPad to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a couple of minutes. If this problem persists, contact apple support at apple.com/support." You will notice that the error message indicates the problem should be fixed after the activation server becomes available again, but the problem still appears to be happening about three days later.

Fortunately, Apple Support Community user ottoindo found a workaround to fix the issue. There are many steps so you will have to be patient to get through it. Here is what ottoindo suggested:

1.) Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes — which should be iTunes 12.3.3.17.

2.) Connect your iPad to your computer and backup your data locally or through iCloud.

3.) Disconnect the iPad after the backup is complete.

4.) Press down the Home and Power button of the iPad at the same time and then release just the Power button after the device restarts.

5.) You will be asked to connect your iPad to your computer using the USB cable again.

6.) An option will appear that asks if you want to restore the device and upgrade to iOS 9.3.

7.) As iOS 9.3 downloads, the error message will appear again -- but you still need to wait until iOS 9.3 is done.

8.) After iOS 9.3 is done downloading, you will need to repeat step 4. This time your iPad will ask if you want to restore it.

9.) Once the restore is finished, you will be asked to select whether you want to activate the iPad as a "new" device or if you want to restore it from your last backup. Selecting the new iPad option will format your iPad so it is like new and restoring it will retrieve your data again.

Good luck!
Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy I'm glad a left the Apple Kool-Aid on the table!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Dave, thanks but all of that is beyond my capabilities! There is a MAC repair store here in Sedona that I hope knows what to do, else I’m without an iPad for a couple weeks. On the up side I’m forced to try to use the new-in-January iPhone. eBay and Facebook are tough. On FB I don’t see a way to go to my travel groups individually so all posts are jumbled (and I have to tune out the political crap Cliff posts), took me ten minutes to find the eBay forums and then I just stumbled on them so don’t know how to get back. Next door and Tug work easily, so that’s good.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, thanks but all of that is beyond my capabilities! There is a MAC repair store here in Sedona that I hope knows what to do, else I’m without an iPad for a couple weeks. On the up side I’m forced to try to use the new-in-January iPhone. eBay and Facebook are tough. On FB I don’t see a way to go to my travel groups individually so all posts are jumbled (and I have to tune out the political crap Cliff posts), took me ten minutes to find the eBay forums and then I just stumbled on them so don’t know how to get back. Next door and Tug work easily, so that’s good.

Ok. Take that post with you, in case the guy has questions. I found it on Google, and it's talking about a previous version of iOS, but the process should be similar with a newer version. Good luck!

I find web surfing on an iPhone to be tedious, even when everything works right. I try to avoid it, if I can. I travel with a Samsung tablet, rather than my Mac, just in case something gets lost or stolen. Cheap to replace, and my main computer stays home. :)

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We were in Sedona a couple of weeks ago and my wife's Ipad had to be restarted a couple of times. It had a problem logging into the resorts internet which seemed to correct after restarting. Mine was fine. Both Ipads are about 2 years old. I like to stream Netflix and you tube onto the tv with the Ipad.

Bill

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
A while back I brought a brand new tablet on vacation with us and didn't even know how to turn the thing on! I took it to the check-in desk and looked for the youngest person I could find. I asked for help and as she was clicking through she kept saying, "Oh, you're gonna love this!". She taught me to use it in less than 5 minutes! Maybe the same will work for you. Don't you just love technology?!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Apple has great tech support. Just call them.

800-275-2273

Several years ago an Apple rep spent 3 hours on the phone with me while a new iPad version was downloaded. I of course have no memory of what drove me to call. Thanks for the phone number, if the local Sedona guy doesn’t have a quick fix (now i’m Wondering if we'll even bother with him) I’ll call when we get home at the end of next week.