• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Finds

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
A couple of suggestions if your visiting Key West that you might not know about that I want to share.

There is a free Duval Loop shuttle bus. Saw it last time I was there but actually used it this time when I got tired and didn’t want to walk any more. https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus
12238FB5-1AF5-40AC-963A-5B018F649ADC.jpeg

Florida Keys Eco Discovery Center - free admission
I learned so much about the area. You can walk over to the beach from here or go to Maritime Museum. The free shuttle stops close by.
https://floridakeys.noaa.gov/eco_discovery
3513213D-C371-4824-ABC3-4DD8D2886C02.jpeg

The Jolly Rover - Tall Ship Sailing is my favorite sailing ship in Key West and also the most reasonable. They also have an incentive program within 30 days, take two sailings and get the third free. You can usually get a discount of $5 off your first trip from a hotel coupon, the second trip the company gives you $10 off and the 3rd is free. They provide bottle water and cheese and crackers and you can bring your own booze/food. http://schoonerjollyrover.com/
3E759D62-8E30-42D1-A8CC-503A36967049.jpeg

My favorite reasonable priced restaurant is MoonDog Cafe and Bakery. Their bakery is a treat, all baked on premise. You can watch the bakers as it’s open viewing. They have a blueberry muffin that is vegan and gluten free that is the best I ever had, full of blueberries for $2.50. My other half votes for the Black Forrest cake, a splurge, almost as expensive as a meal at $8.50 but big enough for two. Their tacos are fresh and delicious with choice of mahi, chicken, shrimp or tofu. Their pizzas are thin and crispy with generous toppings. So much more to choose from.
https://moondogcafe.com/dinner-menu/
86BDBA7D-B3B4-4356-B40B-19C271F0E7E5.jpeg

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How did you get there, Panina?

And that is a serious question by the way.....every time I have considered Key West as a vacation destination, it was always going to be a fly into Miami and drive the rest of the way but no one ever described that drive as a pleasant experience.

Also, I don't think Wyndham or RCI have any properties down there do they? (I haven't checked that in a bit....headed to do so now...)
What brand of resort are you residing in this week?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

And that is a serious question by the way.....every time I have considered Key West as a vacation destination, it was always going to be a fly into Miami and drive the rest of the way but no one ever described that drive as a pleasant experience.

Also, I don't think Wyndham or RCI have any properties down there do they? (I haven't checked that in a bit....headed to do so now...)
We drive there from the Carolinas. If you take a plane into Miami, it’s about a three hour drive to get to Key West. Not a bad ride. You can stop mid way and get a nice lunch. RCI has the Galleon in Key West, just don’t take a studio, very small, no view.

I was the last two weeks at The Banyan in Key West where I own. They only trade in II.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation

I live in Tampa area and takes me 8 hours to get there by motor vehicle. If you want a more enjoyable way to get there take the high speed boat from Fort Myers area. Pretty Reasonable takes around 4 hours and drops you off practically on Duval street.

While in Fort Myers another really cool thing to do is the murder mystery train. A 4 hour diner theater train ride with a 5 course meal and cocktails served as a who done it murder mystery theatrical performance goes on.

https://www.keywestexpress.net/key-west-express-catamaran
https://semgulf.com

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a more enjoyable way to get there take the high speed boat from Fort Myers area. Pretty Reasonable takes around 4 hours and drops you off practically on Duval street.

The boat from Fort Meyers to Key West is great. Often I would fly into Fort Meyers from DFW just so I could take the boat to Key West. It beat renting a car and driving...

George

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Some great ideas y'all - thanks!

I want to make a trip there one day when I am no longer shackled to the school calendar. Something like late Jan - early Feb. Hopefully not a lot of crowds during that time of the year.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget; There are flights to Key West out of Miami (they use smaller planes).

Not sure of the frequency, the price, or easy seat availability.

Maybe another Tugger can add to this with those facts.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We tried to do the speed boat one year around Christmas and it was canceled because of rough seas! So we ended up driving.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Don't forget; There are flights to Key West out of Miami (they use smaller planes).

Not sure of the frequency, the price, or easy seat availability.

Maybe another Tugger can add to this with those facts.

The little planes we used is Silver. We have used them from both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The big dogs also fly in like AA, Delta, United as well from their hubs, which we prefer, as there are fewer weather delays versus Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. For the most bang for my vacation buck, our flight selection is dictated by price and times. Like to arrive between 11am and 2pm. Depart between 2 and 6 pm. Those seem to be the most desired flights and costly, but booking early seems to get some good deals. Most always can fly from DTW to Key West for under $400 each, but we are booking 6 months out.

One other interesting observation, on those travel web sites, hotel and flights can be significantly reduced...but the room well you might have to go into the hall to open your luggage.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI lists 3 or 4 resorts, but one of them (cocoa something) I don't think has ever been reported as being available.
The Galleon would be the only one I'd use from RCI, IMO. Make sure to get a 1 BR or larger. They have a 1-4 or 1-5 rule I forget which.
Not sure about II. There's a Hyatt right across from the Galleon that's a timeshare, so possibly it's in II.

I've stayed at the Galleon right before the big hurricane hit (well it was July of that year) and it was mostly nice. A few minor complaints (our room was above the bar on the side by Alonso's, so we got to hear noise really late at night one night), and the cigarette smoking by the pool/bar area (I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke).

We flew into Key West as I didn't want to spend 3-4 hours driving (depends on traffic) after getting up at like 4:00 a.m. and flying. I used my Delta Amex Skymiles Platinum BOGO certificate so got 2 roundtrip tickets for $475 directly into Key West. (would've been cheaper, but I waited like 3 weeks and the price shot up). Just note that you are limited to ONE checked bag per person under 50lbs into Key West. The runway is extremely short, and the landing is very hard, so they need to keep the weight down. Also, take the FIRST flight that gets there if you can. Every single flight was oversold/overbooked (except the very very late/last one) and you may be able to get yourself some $$$ if you can wait almost a day and take the later flight. Unfortunately with the BOGO we weren't able to take advantage (Delta won't let you split people, so they only needed one more seat, not two).

Waiting 2 more years to go back (trying to get another Galleon exchange), but we'll try to do May or 1st week of June this time. July was TOO hot, LOL!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI lists 3 or 4 resorts, but one of them (cocoa something) I don't think has ever been reported as being available.
The Galleon would be the only one I'd use from RCI, IMO. Make sure to get a 1 BR or larger. They have a 1-4 or 1-5 rule I forget which.
Not sure about II. There's a Hyatt right across from the Galleon that's a timeshare, so possibly it's in II.

I've stayed at the Galleon right before the big hurricane hit (well it was July of that year) and it was mostly nice. A few minor complaints (our room was above the bar on the side by Alonso's, so we got to hear noise really late at night one night), and the cigarette smoking by the pool/bar area (I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke).

We flew into Key West as I didn't want to spend 3-4 hours driving (depends on traffic) after getting up at like 4:00 a.m. and flying. I used my Delta Amex Skymiles Platinum BOGO certificate so got 2 roundtrip tickets for $475 directly into Key West. (would've been cheaper, but I waited like 3 weeks and the price shot up). Just note that you are limited to ONE checked bag per person under 50lbs into Key West. The runway is extremely short, and the landing is very hard, so they need to keep the weight down. Also, take the FIRST flight that gets there if you can. Every single flight was oversold/overbooked (except the very very late/last one) and you may be able to get yourself some $$$ if you can wait almost a day and take the later flight. Unfortunately with the BOGO we weren't able to take advantage (Delta won't let you split people, so they only needed one more seat, not two).

Waiting 2 more years to go back (trying to get another Galleon exchange), but we'll try to do May or 1st week of June this time. July was TOO hot, LOL!
II has 4 in old Key West and 3 in new key west. Galleon, Banyan, Coconut Beach, Hyatt sunset harbour in old key west. Hyatt Beach Club, Hyatt Windward, Coconut Mallory in new Key West.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We loved going there on short trips using StarPoints at the Westin. Now that Margaritaville bought out that resort, we don't know where to go. I know there are some Marriotts there we could use now, just haven't put much effort into deciding on a new home base.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
The nice thing about the high speed boat from Fort Meyers is that it lets you off 3 short blocks from Duval Street...

George

How do you get your luggage over to your resort? Do you just take a cab?

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you take the Key West express there is a porter service as soon as you get off the boat that will bring your luggage to the resort for $12 per bag (no matter what the size) I wish I had known about this before we left. We only had one bag but brought a super small one thinking we would have to lug it around. I could have brought a larger suitcase and packed a few more food items in it since we do not have a care while we are here.
I did have groceries delivered by Publix which was super convenient.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is there a best time of year to try and snag an II exchange to Key West? Working on 2021-2022 timeframe plans, and wondering if this could (finally) be an option for us. Never been to the Keys, and would like to see it at a good time of year. Any ideas?

Dave

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there a best time of year to try and snag an II exchange to Key West? Working on 2021-2022 timeframe plans, and wondering if this could (finally) be an option for us. Never been to the Keys, and would like to see it at a good time of year. Any ideas?

Dave
I like best mid November through February. Other times I find the weather can get way too hot to enjoy the walkable area.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Have any of you taken the Fort Myers speed boat over while staying at a timeshare in the FortMyers area? Is it possible to go just for the day or is overnight recommend?
We are going to Lehigh Acres in Late October and a side trip to Key West might be fun.
Silentg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I like best mid November through February. Other times I find the weather can get way too hot to enjoy the walkable area.

Hmm. That may be why I've never been successful trying to exchange in. Spouse's job at Costco doesn't allow vacations from Thanksgiving till well after New Year's.

Dave

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Dave

I tried unsuccessfully for an exchange in the Keys a few years ago for late October or early November. We ended up with a week (Fri>Fri) at Vacation Village at Weston at the end of which we drove down to the Keys, stayed 2 nights in a motel then drove up to our resort in St Augustine for our last week (Sun>Sun). The drive from Fort Lauderdale to Key West was less than 4 hours and very scenic. We lucked out that there were no hurricanes and we only had a few minutes of rain on the drive north. The temperatures were very pleasant (daytime highs of low-mid 80'sF if I remember correctly) and there was always a breeze.

~Diane

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
If you take the Key West express there is a porter service as soon as you get off the boat that will bring your luggage to the resort for $12 per bag (no matter what the size) I wish I had known about this before we left. We only had one bag but brought a super small one thinking we would have to lug it around. I could have brought a larger suitcase and packed a few more food items in it since we do not have a care while we are here.
I did have groceries delivered by Publix which was super convenient.

Thank you for letting me know this info...I think I might do this vs renting a car when we are in Key West next April... thanks