• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nanea sewage smell

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
we are staying at Nanea for the first time this week. Hotel is great, but we have smelled sewage at the hotel every day this week. It’s especially strong in the evening when driving in on Kai Malina.

Is this normal at Nanea? When I asked the valet up front he acknowledged the smell but gave a non answer about how often he smells it.

And in case anyone didn’t know, there is a sewage treatment plant across the road from the Honua Kai / Nanea. You can see it in Google maps.

Sewage Treatment Plant, 2822 HI-30, Lahaina, HI 96761
https://goo.gl/maps/ETrqRDzZas42

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
yes, yes, and yes.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
When Nanea was pitched to us in a presentation we brought this up but the sales rep said you can smell it from any of the resorts on either side of Nanea. We have stayed at North and South and have never experienced it but it is an off and on occurrence. Have folks had issues at the other Westin resorts?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We just smell it as we make our drive from Lahaina to Hono Koa on the lower highway. It's a bad smell, but it's a necessary thing to have somewhere. We smelled it from the south Westin, when we had a view of the mountain. The smell keeps people off of the lanai at certain times.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I've stayed an Nanea a couple of times. I noticed it is MUCH worse when it rains and in front of the resort. stayed on the top floor both times and only occasionally got a light whiff from the balconies, except as stated, when it rained. Not a great smell, but hasn't been a detractor from my vacations. I was concerned the first time as it was raining and on the approach it was pretty intense. Once inside, however, it was no longer noticable. I never smelled it a KORV, but I am sure the other resorts next to Nanea have had to deal with it for some time. I read that they are discussing moving the plant as it is too close to the shoreline anyway. We can hope.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
That treatment plant is a lot closer than I realized.

Nanea.JPG

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
And the prevailing winds are usually from that direction.

I am sensitive to beta-mercaptoethanol (the smell from sewage/water treatment plants) and can easily detect it from WKORVN and northward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do you smell it on the OV/OF or pool side lanais? or just IV mountainside?

Last edited:

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
I smelled it everywhere. Poolside, at the beach, front entrance and parking lot.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I smelled it everywhere. Poolside, at the beach, front entrance and parking lot.
That would ruin my vacation for sure. We were considering booking with staroptions, but with flight costs and flight times from the east coast, not sure I would do it, now knowing about the odour

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would ruin my vacation for sure. We were considering booking with staroptions, but with flight costs and flight times from the east coast, not sure I would do it, now knowing about the odour
We have stayed at north, south and Nanea without ever smelling it so it is a crap shoot , so to speak.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We have stayed at north, south and Nanea without ever smelling it so it is a crap shoot , so to speak.

We just spent three weeks at WKORV-N and Nanea. In the evenings, we could smell it when driving down the highway in front of Nanea and between Nanea and Kapalua. While at the resorts we never smelled it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
When were you staying at the resorts? Is there a pattern with rainfall during the winter months and summer doesn't get it? Do the prevailing winds shift with the seasons?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When were you staying at the resorts? Is there a pattern with rainfall during the winter months and summer doesn't get it? Do the prevailing winds shift with the seasons?
We are typically there May/June so that is a good point. We stayed at the Hyatt this winter and walked by one day after going to Duke's with no odor so will be interested in hearing others input

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are usually there Mar or Jul or Aug, and the only time we ever smelled it was on the road side of Nanaea or Honu Kai (IE the parking lot areas)

even then it was just a slight unpleasant whiff in the air

I don't think it was after rain though

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The IV Nanea units are sounding less desirable especially when you consider the constant shuttle backup beeping and views of the parking structure. OF sounds like it might be okay.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do you smell it on the OV/OF or pool side lanais? or just IV mountainside?

Never smelled it at WKORV. Only (sometimes) north side of WKORVN and at Nanea.

If faint - Robin cannot smell it, while I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We are typically there May/June so that is a good point. We stayed at the Hyatt this winter and walked by one day after going to Duke's with no odor so will be interested in hearing others input

We were there from March 22 - April 10 of this year. There was no rain during that period. In fact we mentioned how green the mountains were upon arrival when we came in from OGG. As we left we remarked how brown they had become.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The IV Nanea units are sounding less desirable especially when you consider the constant shuttle backup beeping and views of the parking structure. OF sounds like it might be okay.

OF is better than just okay! :thumbup: