• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help, Please [Tolls: Fort Lauderdale airport to Marco Island via Rt.75.]

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are traveling from Fort Lauderdale airport to Marco Island via Rt.75. Directions give notice that this route has partial tolls. If you know, or have traveled this route, can we pay cash or are the tolls cashless and require the plate pass or SUN pass? Your input would be welcome and appreciated.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sawgrass Expressway allows you to use SunPass or Pay by Plate, so you're fine there (no cash at all). Note that the "Pay by Plate" option has a small surcharge as a convenience fee.

Alligator Alley (Interstate 75) allows SunPass or Cash Payments.

So the answer to your question is that you will be all set!

I would make the suggestion that you search the Florida Forum on TUG and you will see how easy it is for someone from out of state to obtain a SunPass Transponder and add money to it at any time. I would strongly suggest you think about doing this and you can avoid the convenience fees on the Sawgrass Expressway.

By the way you can obtain a transponder at any Publix Supermarket or SunPass can likely mail one to you.

Have fun!

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Time Traveler: Thank you so much. Very helpful.:)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You could also take the "free" (old) way...
I-95 South to the Palmetto Expwy (826), South to Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41).

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The Sawgrass Expressway allows you to use SunPass or Pay by Plate, so you're fine there (no cash at all). Note that the "Pay by Plate" option has a small surcharge as a convenience fee.

Alligator Alley (Interstate 75) allows SunPass or Cash Payments.

So the answer to your question is that you will be all set!

I would make the suggestion that you search the Florida Forum on TUG and you will see how easy it is for someone from out of state to obtain a SunPass Transponder and add money to it at any time. I would strongly suggest you think about doing this and you can avoid the convenience fees on the Sawgrass Expressway.

By the way you can obtain a transponder at any Publix Supermarket or SunPass can likely mail one to you.
While I agree that having a SunPass is useful, if the OP is traveling from the Fort Lauderdale airport to Marco Island, they would not be traveling on the Sawgrass Expressway at all. From FLL, you just hop onto I-595 which then connects / turns into I-75 as you head to Marco Island. You would never be on FL 869 (Sawgrass Expressway), you only cross it (no tolls to cross it). We do this trip most years at Christmas.

Am I missing something here?

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You could also take the "free" (old) way...
I-95 South to the Palmetto Expwy (826) South to Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41)...
According to Google Maps, it is 30 minutes faster (1 hr, 47 min vs. 2 hs, 17 min) to travel on I-75. With the cash toll price of $3.25, taking the toll route seems like a no-brainer. Not much to see on either road, IMO.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...Not much to see on either road, IMO.

Au contraire, my fine feathered friend.

Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) is slower, but it has some interesting stops:
-- The Everglades NP "Shark Valley" Visitor Center (tram tours).
-- The Miccosukee Indian Village
-- The Dade-Collier Training Airport (aborted new Miami International).
-- The Big Cypress Preserve "Oasis" Visitor Center.
-- The turn off to Everglades City with NP-VC & "official" Boat Tours.
AF1QipMM_nDrorvaSZ2OfEJ4SjWYoaPUStOZh0QXvJnp=w408-h306-k-no

Last edited:

Videoguy75

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a car in your flight's cargo, you are likely renting one. Car rental companies have really simplified the toll process for us. Every car we have rented in Florida these last few years (Budget, Alamo, whoever is cheapest on Costco.com) comes with toll payment capability. You do nothing to activate it. Don't want to use it? Don't use toll roads or go in the cash lanes and pay cash. Want the convenience of the transponder? Just speed through the toll - the rental company gets billed and they charge you for the payment. Could not be easier.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless you have a car in your flight's cargo, you are likely renting one. Car rental companies have really simplified the toll process for us. Every car we have rented in Florida these last few years (Budget, Alamo, whoever is cheapest on Costco.com) comes with toll payment capability. You do nothing to activate it. Don't want to use it? Don't use toll roads or go in the cash lanes and pay cash. Want the convenience of the transponder? Just speed through the toll - the rental company gets billed and they charge you for the payment. Could not be easier.
It may be "easy", but with most companies, it is not "cheap". Rental companies add their service fees any time you utilize their transponders or if they get billed via the plate readers. The last time we relied on the rental agency for tolls, the fees we were charged were over $25, and that was for going through a couple of toll checkpoints where the total tolls were maybe $3. No thank you.

Kurt

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to Florida maybe every other year. Our first experience with a cashless toll was about 3 years ago on a trip from Orlando to Bradenton. We saw a toll booth and stopped to put in cash and there was no where to pay so we just meandered through. We were in a rental car from Dollar. Nearly three months later we get a charge on our credit card and also a notice from Dollar saying our account has been charged for the toll ~ $.45 plus a admin. fee of $25.00. That really made me angry so...……. I don't want that to happen again. That's why I needed to know about any cashless tolls from FLL to Marco.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite a drive along Hwy 41, especially at dusk. It will take you longer because you will want to stop at a few places and because it is two lane. There is one spot where you can stop and see more alligators than you can imagines d if you go a mile or two down that road, they will be everywhere. If you do take 41 from Fort Lauderdale you will not go all the way to Collier Boulevard, but will turn on the road to Goodland, and on to the heart of a Marco, but you should take a short detour and see Goodland too.

Last edited:

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
From FLL to Marco you can pay cash. We do it all the time because we keep forgetting to transfer our new car on to our sun pass :) One of these days I will remember BEFORE we hit the road...LOL!!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
595.JPG
The toll plazas on I75 take cash, both east and west. But if you use the express lanes in I595 (2 lanes right next to I595, but there are no interchanges the entire way from I75 to the Turnpike or I95.) only have sunpass or pay by plate - there is no toll booth. To me it's well worth the 50 cents they charge to avoid all the traffic on 595. I usually feel like I have a private road all to myself, and it practically dumps you right into FLL.

595 can be a nightmare. Notice the spaghetti mess I posted above. Imagine the signs and trying to make sure you are in the right lane in that mess.

Last edited:

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Quite a drive along Hwy 41, especially at dusk. It will take you longer because you will want to stop at a few places and because it is two lane. There is one spot where you can stop and see more alligators than you can imagines d if you go a mile or two down that road, they will be everywhere. If you do take 41 from Fort Lauderdale you will not go all the way to Collier Boulevard, but will turn on the road to Goodland, and on to the heart of a Marco, but you should take a short detour and see Goodland too.
The road to Goodland is called San Marco Road and there is a flashing light at that intersection with Tamiami. Plus a bar if you feel the need to stop for refreshments. San Marco Road runs straight up to the Residents Beach and Collier Blvd if you are headed that way. You'll also pass by a Publix and Walgreens at San Marco Road and Barfield if you need to stop for supplies. Make sure you abide by speed limits, especially as you get closer to Marco because we love to get your money.