• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best MVCI Hawaiian Honeymoon location

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m giving my granddaughter her honeymoon in May 2020. I already started a thread about the problems I’m having with Marriott’s reservation process

My Granddaughter and her fiancée don’t have any knowledge of Hawaii except that her Aunt stayed at Kauai Beach Club and I stayed at Ko Olina and at (non-MVCI) Poipu Point Resort in Kauai. Of course we loved our vacations. But last summer I was able to send my son and family to Maui and Ko Olina. They liked MKO but LOVED MOC.

Sarah picked a studio at both Kauai Beach Club and Ko Olina. But I’m not sure I guided her correctly. Maybe I should recommend Maui instead of Kauai.

Just so you know, they are probably flying out of Boston. I’m giving Sarah 6 nights in the first location and 5 nights in MKO where they will get their flight home. I sold her on horseback riding in Kauai but maybe there are equal horseback riding opportunities in Maui? I just don’t know. I also sold her on the small, garden, island that defines Kauai.

Looking at the rooms in Kauai the traditional studio doesn’t have a kitchenette. Not even a mini-fridge.

Which would be your choice for a honeymoon?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
You're going to get multiple answers...and it depends. You really can't go wrong. It seems most pick Kauai or Maui as their favorite, but some prefer Oahu and/or Big Island.

We love Oahu. Ko Olina is a great resort, and it has the feeling of being far from Waikiki. Then again, others prefer being near Waikiki. Haven't been to Kauai yet (staying at Waiohai later this month).

There's a lot to do on each island. I say don't worry about Kauai Beach lacking a kitchen. It's their honeymoon; have them enjoy the restaurants and island flair.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're going to get multiple answers...and it depends. You really can't go wrong. It seems most pick Kauai or Maui as their favorite, but some prefer Oahu and/or Big Island.

We love Oahu. Ko Olina is a great resort, and it has the feeling of being far from Waikiki. Then again, others prefer being near Waikiki. Haven't been to Kauai yet (staying at Waiohai later this month).

There's a lot to do on each island. I say don't worry about Kauai Beach lacking a kitchen. It's their honeymoon; have them enjoy the restaurants and island flair.
Thanks for your reply. My concern is the lack of any kind of refrigerator. Even Days Inns have mini fridges now (although I haven’t been in one in 30+ years) The kids might want to cool soda or champagne.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on what they want for Hawaii, here is how I rate the Islands:
Oahu, Ko Olina is the Hawaii 5-0/A Special Episode in Hawaii experience - Touristy but if that is what they want some like that.
Marriott Kauai Lagoons is very romantic and less hotel like.
For romantic, hard to beat a Helicopter Tour.
We used Mauna Loa and because it only seats 4, it will be just them and the Pilot.

Plus, there are some great quiet local bars in Kauai that Joey the activities coordinator there can point them too.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The Kauai Beach Club studios have small refrigerators and coffee makers. They will bring a microwave upon request.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
My wife and I married on Kauai Beach Club years ago, stayed several days with family invited to the wedding then went on to Maui Ocean Club for a week for our honeymoon. We love both islands and resorts. We also love Oahu (outside of HNL urban).

Two islands is a good choice if they will be there for 11 days. Kauai’s lush beauty is hard to beat and our favorite for natural beauty and quiet. Maui location and views are hard to beat, our overall favorite island and resort with a great mix of everything. Oahu main historical tourist attractions are hard to beat and Ko Olina is likely the nicest resort quality E2E with beautiful lagoons. It all depends on their interests. Plenty to do on all islands. Their is great upcountry horseback riding on Maui also, not just Kauai. :) Kauai will be quieter, more natural and very lush. Maui is in between Kauai’s quiet and Oahu’s hustle.

We gave my brother-in-law a week stay in Hawaii two years ago for their honeymoon. We let them choose with some input from us on each island and resort. They chose Ko Olina. They loved the resort and enjoyed their first opportunity to see Waikiki, Pear Harbor, North Shore waves, etc.

In the end, a very nice gesture by you for your granddaughter! Kudos! Anywhere in Hawaii is perfect for a honeymoon!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As others have said, it depends upon what they like to do. If they like water activities, hiking, and other more active pursuits, then I think Maui and Kauai would offer more things along those lines. If they want to hang at the resort a lot, then everyone says KoOlina is a great place (although we have not stayed there and aren't fans of the more remote location). Oahu would also give them access to the iconic and historic sites like Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, Diamond Head, etc. If that is what they like, then Oahu makes a lot of sense.

Maui Ocean Club is also a spectacular resort in a wonderful location. It is our favorite anywhere. But it's all about each individual and what they like.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked them five nights at the Kaua’i Beach Club, in an ocean view, one bedroom. The garden view studios didn’t have balconies or mini kitchens. The ocean view studio did have both but, the difference in points from a one bedroom (I choose the one with one door) was only 550 points for 5 nights. I figured they should start their honeymoon in a lovely one bedroom rather than a smaller studio.

Last edited:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I've been to all three. Kauai is my favorite, it's so beautiful (and we had a mini fridge in our KBC studio. We called the front desk and asked for a toaster and they brought us a complete set of dishes and utensils for two, too!), but I think Maui would be better for a honeymoon because there is so much more to do on Maui. We got to rappel down waterfalls! Where else can you do that?

We gifted my son and his wife a week on Maui (their first choice). They came back with "Just Maui'ed" shirts, which I thought was adorable. :)

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well the decision has been made and the reservations are set

5 nights in Kauai One bedroom, one door configuration, two balconies
6 nights in Ko Olina One bedroom Penthouse Mountain View.

I listened to you all and came to the same conclusion as many of you. They can be as active as they like on Kauai and as spoiled as they like in Oahu.

You’ll notice I went from two garden view studios for 10 nights total. To two (one) bedrooms for eleven nights total. Grammy is such a pushover. But the kids are VERY happy!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
^^^ Grandmas Rock!!!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, they are probably flying out of Boston....
Since you've picked the islands (very kind of you and very nice choice by the way) I'll talk about flights. Hawaiian Airlines just added direct flights from Logan to HNL. We've flown their JFK to HNL direct flight for many years now and are very, very happy with their service (particularly compared to United).

Going to HNL is just a long day of forced relaxation...actually quite pleasant if you bring some books (or an iPad). Coming back is more of a challenge. If at all possible avoid flying coach all the way in one flight. When we can we do a layover in CA or fly business HNL to JFK on miles. But when we have to fly back in one day and have to pay cash we do - it's just SOOOO much longer than NYC to Europe.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I truly believe most young people would prefer Maui 2 to 1 vs the other islands if they were given the full picture of each island. I think most people for that matter prefer Maui and the highest demand of any of the islands does prove that out. That is not to say every one of the islands wouldn't provide an amazing honeymoon because i truly believe they would. I just think Maui has a little bit of everything the other islands have with the exception of the active lava flows and something special the other islands don't so my vote would definitely include Maui as one of the islands.

Katfan

Reaction score
We did exactly the same trip for our dd and sil a few years ago for their honeymoon. They are very active and enjoyed both islands immensely with the nod going to Kauai. But they loved Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head along with all of the Waikiki attractions. So a wonderful mix of attractions on each island. As an aside we just did a week on Maui and one on Kauai with them this past September. Wonderful trip and so many wonderful memories. This is why we love our Marriott timeshares.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Great island and resort choices! They will enjoy!

And a wise move on providing a 1BR vs studio. While the studio can work for a couple, it is much nicer to have a 1BR with extra space....penthouse at Ko Olina to boot!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m giving my granddaughter her honeymoon in May 2020. I already started a thread about the problems I’m having with Marriott’s reservation process

My Granddaughter and her fiancée don’t have any knowledge of Hawaii except that her Aunt stayed at Kauai Beach Club and I stayed at Ko Olina and at (non-MVCI) Poipu Point Resort in Kauai. Of course we loved our vacations. But last summer I was able to send my son and family to Maui and Ko Olina. They liked MKO but LOVED MOC.

Sarah picked a studio at both Kauai Beach Club and Ko Olina. But I’m not sure I guided her correctly. Maybe I should recommend Maui instead of Kauai.

Just so you know, they are probably flying out of Boston. I’m giving Sarah 6 nights in the first location and 5 nights in MKO where they will get their flight home. I sold her on horseback riding in Kauai but maybe there are equal horseback riding opportunities in Maui? I just don’t know. I also sold her on the small, garden, island that defines Kauai.

Looking at the rooms in Kauai the traditional studio doesn’t have a kitchenette. Not even a mini-fridge.

I lived in HI and have been back a number of times. My daughter had her honeymoon there for 10 nights. She chose Maui and Ko Olina and this would be my suggestion for someone who has not been. I would not do Kauai and I don't like KBC.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in HI and have been back a number of times. My daughter had her honeymoon there for 10 nights. She chose Maui and Ko Olina and this would be my suggestion for someone who has not been. I would not do Kauai and I don't like KBC.

Why don’t you like the Kauai Beach Club. What’s wrong with it? Please tell me because I’d really like to know.

I think my GD picked Kaua’i because I told her how much her Grampy, my departed husband, loved it there.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you like the Kauai Beach Club. What’s wrong with it? Please tell me because I’d really like to know. I think my GD picked Kaua’i...
"Everyone finds their own island" is one of my favorite phrases about Hawaii - mainly because it is so true. My wife went to UH Manoa and we've been to Hawaii more times than I can count - originally just the two of us but over the years with our kids and 'the grandparents' as well.

Kauai is our favorite island because it is a relaxed garden paradise with a lot of great outdoors activities (if you are so inclined). It's also the island on which you are most likely to feel like welcomed family. And KBC has a lot going for it. On a very swimable beach, there are some good walkable bars/restaurants and it's a short drive/cab ride to great bars and restaurants in Lihue. It's also close to the water and hiking activities around the Wailua River and Kapa'a. The downside to KBC is that most of Kauai's tourist spots are either on the North or South shores and it is something of a drive to get to them.

Oahu is our 2nd favorite island because of its Hawaiiana and the incredible mix of cultures...combined with some good swimming, hiking, and snorkeling spots. Plus the dining in Honolulu can't be beat. Last year was our first visit to Marriott's Ko Olina and we were very pleasantly surprised.

A close third is the Big Island...which really is at least three different 'islands'. Waikoloa, Kailua-Kona, Captain Cook, Volcano, and Hilo all feel very different (and sadly, Waikoloa is the least interesting).

Which leaves Maui is our least favorite of the four major islands. Or more accurately, we've come to really dislike Kaanapali which feels more and more like an overbuilt California suburb (Hana is a *very* different story). And the beach in front of MOC isn't really that good for swimming or snorkeling. Maui has some amazing activities but when we were in Hawaii last summer our time at MOC was our least enjoyable.

Obviously, YMMV as will the opinions of many people. Thankfully, there is an island for everyone.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you like the Kauai Beach Club. What’s wrong with it? Please tell me because I’d really like to know.

I think my GD picked Kaua’i because I told her how much her Grampy, my departed husband, loved it there.
Two issues here. One is Kauai vs Maui it seems, the other specifically KBC. In general I would do Maui over any Kauai Marriott or other option by far for this situation, I just think it's a better choice for someone new to the islands for a Honeymoon. I find KBC to be below my standards for a Marriott. When we stayed there our second to last visit it was our third week, I'd have rather been working than be there. I'd stayed at the location years ago when it was the Kauai Surf. Our last trip this past summer we did 3 week and Kauai at Waiohai and it was great. I had quite a set of interactions with the resort there and Marriott Corporate stating that very issue after our trip in question. Maui has Kaanapali beach and the Whalers village as well as a lot of additional options close by.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread for the last day or so and thinking of piping in with my own thoughts on the differences between the two islands I've been on, each multiple times when it occurred to me that none of us except the grandparent actually knows the couple about to be married and if they're like most young couples, they don't really know enough to fail to be impressed wherever they end up. Face it, generally speaking, we're a privileged group and part of that is being fairly particular. What we all know is that that is one wonderfully generous grandparent sending them to any island, much less a Hawaiian island.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
icydog - You made a great choice for your granddaughter and her soon to be husband. They will love it!

As you will see, everyone has their own favorite Hawaiian island and MVCI resort. Your granddaughter and her fiancee will get a good view of two very different islands, have a great time, and likely see which island/resort they prefer for future visits.

Again, very nice gesture by you!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My daughter and her husband specifically chose Kauai for their honeymoon (and my daughter has been to Maui, Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island), so different strokes for different folks. I am sure that KBC will be just fine, especially for honeymooners - there's a very nice pool at that property and Duke's is there as well. Great choice Grammy! They will never forget your generosity.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea

Hopefully, she doesn't come home with this for you ;)

upload_2019-4-11_9-34-54.png

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just one suggestion for the newlyweds in respect to a wonderful experience. While on Kauai my husband and I took Captain Andy's Southern Star Sunset Dinner cruise out of Port Allen. It was a beautiful adventure up to the Napali Coast with a narration of different sites as we passed by. There were cocktails, wine and soft drinks available and dinner on board (included in the price of the trip). Dinner was cooked right on board and was delicious. We had two salads to choose from and fresh pineapple slices. After our salad plates were removed we were served dinner by the crew. Steak and shrimp, roasted vegetables and grilled potatoes. Everything was done to perfection and raspberry cheesecake for desert. When dinner was over the crew put up the sails and we returned sailing to Port Allen watching a perfect sunset. www.napali.com/sail/dinner

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Just one suggestion for the newlyweds in respect to a wonderful experience. While on Kauai my husband and I took Captain Andy's Southern Star Sunset Dinner cruise out of Port Allen. It was a beautiful adventure up to the Napali Coast with a narration of different sites as we passed by. There were cocktails, wine and soft drinks available and dinner on board (included in the price of the trip). Dinner was cooked right on board and was delicious. We had two salads to choose from and fresh pineapple slices. After our salad plates were removed we were served dinner by the crew. Steak and shrimp, roasted vegetables and grilled potatoes. Everything was done to perfection and raspberry cheesecake for desert. When dinner was over the crew put up the sails and we returned sailing to Port Allen watching a perfect sunset. www.napali.com/sail/dinner

I second the suggestion for Captain Andy's Sunset Dinner Cruise, tho the sails were only put up during dinner when you reached the Napali Coast area, and the engines were used getting to and from there.