• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV: Ocean Front View blocked by untrimmed vines

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Someone staying in a 1st floor, ocean front deluxe unit at WKORV just sent me these pictures. The resort has allowed the vines/shrubs to grow up higher than the top of the lanai railing, completely blocking any ocean front view [if you are sitting on the lanai.] Is this ridiculous or what? I don't understand how the maintenance dept. couldn't see that this is a huge problem?

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.08.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.09.38 PM.png

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I stayed on 1st floor OFD 1 bedroom side in Sept using 81K WKV SOs. At first I was worried, but happy for the location - turns out to have an excellent perspective being low to ocean as we are usually on 5-6th floor.

I appreciated the privacy they gave me while still enjoying the view. The trick is to look up and not down...

df98865de8a010478da7dd8858ba53f2.jpg

1bfa9261e1a17329651f5cc2b07b3f32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Stuff grows fast in Hawaii but this is just someone not paying attention. They have to understand the value of oceanfront. Can’t believe they could let this get anywhere close to this bad.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Stuff grows fast in Hawaii but this is just someone not paying attention. They have to understand the value of oceanfront. Can’t believe they could let this get anywhere close to this bad.

The photo I showed had the hedges slightly higher than shown in OP - it is/was a non-issue, but we preferred the privacy the hedges gave from the walkway below.

We were pleasantly surprised as we had just spent the prior week in the best villa in the VSE System. 2628

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Real awful... LOL

b7c8388a85b18cd99f0223f5901b637c.jpg

531bd079ffe40a34aceea69d888598ac.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This owner has 2 complaints - you can't sit on the lanai and enjoy the view, and his children can't see the view at all. I have to agree with him: sitting on the lanai and gazing at the ocean in the morning with a cup of tea, or the evening with a glass of wine, is one of my favorite things to do. I'm short, and I know that I couldn't see over those bushes either.

Dave - don't turn into Salty, OK?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We had the same "issue" last week for one night as we had added one night to the front-end of a week at WKORV-N. At first I was somewhat upset. But if the first floor had not had the shrubs to the top of the lanai railing, there would have been absolutely no privacy while sitting on the lanai or with the draperies open to the villa.

Plus the additional square footage and additional outdoor furniture on the lanai made up for the shrubs.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This owner has 2 complaints - you can't sit on the lanai (or any place in the villa) and enjoy the view, and his children can't see the view at all. I have to agree with him: sitting on the lanai and gazing at the ocean in the morning with a cup of tea, or the evening with a glass of wine, is one of my favorite things to do.

In that case, best not to be on 1st floor... ;)

We had no issue (except for noisy people walking by). Of course it is not as good as being higher, but I believe the hedges add to the privacy from the walkway below - but then again I have a tough time keeping my clothes on. :D

Not trying to be Salty - but this is really a 1st world problem.

As an Owner - I prefer the privacy the hedges give. Sorry, I would have been disappointed by the lack of privacy from the multitudes walking by.

Or, one can do what I do at WSJ for our villa - bring a handsaw (#TakeCharge).

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I agree with Denise on this one, sitting on the lanai and enjoying the oceanfront would be nicer.

You can always say if you want privacy your better off not on the 1st floor too.

I don’t know many people who want to sit behind shrubs on their vacation. Yes, you can stand but I don’t know many people who stand on the lanai for hours. I do know people who sit on the lanai and enjoy the ocean and a drink for hours though.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Even though it worked for us for one night, I also agree with Denise. We regularly will spend time on the lanai of our OceanFront villas at WKORV-N and Nanea and most of it is not spent standing! ;) If I had a reservation for an OceanFront, I would have been upset to have been assigned a first-floor villa with the shrubs the way they were at WKORV-N. We had a StarOption reservation for one night and did not pay the additional StarOptions needed to reserve an OceanFront. I guess the OceanFront was assigned as an upgrade.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Anyone know if the palm trees block any views on floors 2 or 3 OF villas. South property.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time we were in Hawaii I noticed the high shrubs and made a comment about hoping they were not considered Ocean Front. While I agree that privacy is needed, what is the point of payying extra for Ocean Front if you can’t see the ocean from inside or sitting down on the lanai. We have enjoyed a first floor OF in building 5 once, but if We were out in this particular room, I would not be happy and would insist on being moved.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Anyone know if the palm trees block any views on floors 2 or 3 OF villas. South property.

It varies room by room and none of the views are completely blocked (or even mostly blocked). Floor 2 is not affected; the problems (First World Problems) are on Floors 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the say, different strokes for different folks.

I agree with David! I stayed in one of those rooms last September. I would rather have the privacy than people walking by on the sometimes busy boardwalk staring at me. In fact, while we were there, they trimmed the bushes and the result was that you could see everybody walking by, and many would look right back at where we were. I enjoyed my morning coffee more in private. My grown children and my wife also preferred it with the taller bushes. As you can see from David's pictures, the view was still great. I actually liked the location. I like higher floors better, but I wouldn't sweat being on the first floor and I am glad that is one less thing to worry about with room assignments.

I think Dave makes a good point and is just expressing his view. I don't see why he should be admonished because his view is different from many others. He's being nice in his explanation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wait, I thought at WSJ you would simply #Adapt ... ;)

Exactly - I adapted by taking control of the view blockage by buying a hand saw at the local Hardware store.
- versus bitching to management and waiting for them to act.

The offending foliage (tall palm) did not add privacy - just view blockage.
And grows crazy fast.

I even stored the hand saw in the media center cabinet - and was still there the next year. Of course, I assume it is now gone - along with the 2 person inflatable kayak...
(just bought another - $75!)

That is adapting...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting update: The resort gave the owner a $150 resort credit, and pruned the lanai bushes to a level that allows them to see the ocean while sitting down - MUCH better!

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 10.59.28 AM.png

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As the say, different strokes for different folks.

I agree with David! I stayed in one of those rooms last September. I would rather have the privacy than people walking by on the sometimes busy boardwalk staring at me. In fact, while we were there, they trimmed the bushes and the result was that you could see everybody walking by, and many would look right back at where we were. I enjoyed my morning coffee more in private. My grown children and my wife also preferred it with the taller bushes. As you can see from David's pictures, the view was still great. I actually liked the location. I like higher floors better, but I wouldn't sweat being on the first floor and I am glad that is one less thing to worry about with room assignments.

I think Dave makes a good point and is just expressing his view. I don't see why he should be admonished because his view is different from many others. He's being nice in his explanation.

I don’t care - and don’t consider it being admonished. It is my experience and my view after having to stay in the 1st floor OFD.

What I do think is funny are those people making an opinion that have never stayed in the 1st floor OFD, and just that they like to have a clear view while sitting on the lanai (we all would). But, in this villa - it has to be balanced by privacy because the walkway is right there. I happen to choose privacy as the view was great.
The photos in the OP are taken to make it look bad. Our photos show the hedge at the top of railing. I have other photos from inside, but they came out dark. The view was quite nice.

Also, our stay was on 81K SOs (while officially the 1Bd OF is 95.7K SOs) so I colored myself grateful. I was prepared to stay in back of resort - so a total ‘Surprise and Delight’.

btw - they did top the hedges while we were there - but didn’t impact the lack of view while sitting. The alternative is having no privacy and being exposed to the busy walkway.

If it were put to a vote by OFD Owner (which we are) - I would speculate that many would choose privacy.

As mentioned- I was skeptical of the 1st floor villa when we were assigned it, but turned out to be quite nice with incredible views as shown in my photos. Also, was able to get to our spot on beach in front in 5 mins.

The following week we stayed at Nanea with a PL view and shuttle turnaround- now that sucked, but got us out of the villa more.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Interesting update: The resort gave the owner a $150 resort credit, and pruned the lanai bushes to a level that allows them to see the ocean while sitting down - MUCH better!

Glad it worked for them - they topped the hedges while we were there but still couldn’t see ocean while sitting.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The before and after pictures that I posted were both taken sitting down, to show what you could see when sitting on the lanai.

I have stayed in an ocean front first floor unit in this building, as well. At that time, the lanai railing was completely free of foliage and there was an unrestricted view. I don't dance naked on the lanai, :D and I'm short, so I prefer view over privacy. YMMV

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

View attachment 11248

I like that much better but then again, I don’t worry too much about people walking by.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm cautiously optimistic I won't get a view like that! Last few times we went (North or South) we got stuck in a room with a sliver view of the ocean overlooking the Pirate Pool. We were able to use more options this year to get a "ocean front" unit, but I just can't help think they will disappoint me again somehow.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I have an 8 day oceanfront resie for late November of this year. I will.et you know how I make out,

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bet you get a higher floor, because Nov. is off-season and you shouldn't have so much competition. Have you requested a high floor using the "special request" function on the Vistana Dashboard?