• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

E-Plus worth it or not for Hawaii ?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
We are finally empty nesters and with three kids in college we don't have to travel during High School breaks anymore. Of course college tuition is breaking the bank but that's another topic. Now that we only have to buy two tickets we want to go to Hawaii every year.

Is E-plus worth it because of the last minute upgrade in resorts you can get as your travel date approaches. This year we wanted to go to Maui in whale season. Never been anytime other than summer break. We did an OGS with II but did not get an acceptable match so I ended up using my Hilton Honer points to stay at the Grand Wailea. I did turn down some trades because I am kind of picky. Once I made the decision to stay at the Grand Wailea I changed my OGS to 2020. I did see some decent trades appear at the last minute for 2019 but I was already committed to using my Hilton Honors points. I assume that if I had accepted a trade for a lesser quality resort and had E-plus that I could have switched when the last minute inventory showed up. Is this an effective strategy for Hawaii? I am not really concerned with how it works anywhere else.

I am a HH diamond member so using HH points is always a back up plan. Other options would be just renting in Hawaii every year or buying something in Hawaii. With exchange fee plus MF plus E-Plus cost I would be upset if we got stuck staying at a lesser resort. I know lesser resort is subjective so lets define it as anything with a tug rating below 7.5 or anything without air conditioning. It would just be the two of us so a studio would work.

We both have demanding jobs so we do need to plan our vacations in advance

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I used my TS's to go to Maui in 2016 and I booked a place just to lock in a place to stay and bought the eplus and was able to get one week at WKRVN ---and a 3 bedroom at Sands of Kahana

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My vote would be yes IF you are willing to watch the inventory to eplus into. If not, than don't bother.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
My vote would be yes IF you are willing to watch the inventory to eplus into. If not, than don't bother.
So E-plus is not an OGS I have to search manually every day ?

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother adding it until you actually confirm something (at which point you'll have 5 days to add e-plus). Maybe you'll get luck and your OGS will match into your personally highest ranked resort and you won't feel the need to keep checking.