• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying and use

Jhwest

Reaction score
My wife and have have rented a timeshare several times and think that it's time to buy. How long after purchase does it take to be able to reserve. Looking at a couple of Wyndham in the bargen basemnt

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It can take months for Wyndham to complete the Transfer and get your names on the Account.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and have have rented a timeshare several times and think that it's time to buy. How long after purchase does it take to be able to reserve. Looking at a couple of Wyndham in the bargen basemnt

Another option for you would be to have the current owner of record make the reservation for you, and transfer the reservation to you when you take actual possession of the unit.

Use a competent person to assist you with the transfer of the unit. I recommend LTTransfers.

www.LTTransfers.com

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Since it is a timeshare, there might be many hidden costs you are not aware of. Thus, it is important to conduct property inspection. The home inspector will provide a detailed report about the damage repairs required to be done on the property. Perhaps then you can negotiate the price with the seller.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Since it is a timeshare, there might be many hidden costs you are not aware of. Thus, it is important to conduct property inspection. The home inspector will provide a detailed report about the damage repairs required to be done on the property. Perhaps then you can negotiate the price with the seller.

Not sure where this idea is coming from. The TS that OP is considering is a Wyndham one, which would either be deeded at a particular resort or part of the Wyndham points system. In either case, it wouldn't be used as a particular unit at a particular week every year. If it winds up being points in Wyndham Club Access, it would be a fractional ownership of every unit at every resort that Wyndham has in that pool of timeshare units. Thus, a property inspection would have to cover every one of them and the detailed report would wind up being a multiple volume one that takes up quite a bit of room. I'm not sure what action a buyer would take on the report either; the resort management company has the responsibility to maintain the resorts in a useable condition already for which owners pay them management fees. Given that the sale would at the most accountable be for a single week out of the year at a particular unit, it would be difficult to compel the seller to correct any type of damage since they don't own or manage the unit full time.

Bottom line for me is that property inspections do matter when you are buying a home, but probably not worth the effort for a TS. Instead, you might look to reviews of the particular resort you are interested in to see how it is being maintained combined with your own experience in visiting the resort. What you are really buying is a set of vacation experiences rather than property ownership, particularly with points-based TS systems; any flaws in the property are dealt with in the management of it and don't have much impact on the value of what you purchase. Major systemic flaws would be reflected in the cost of the management fees, as would the quality of the service and the amenities you receive when using the resort; major flaws could result in a need for higher fees, but a property inspection for a TS acquired through the bargain bin on TUG to discover any flaws at all would be a cost well in excess of any potential benefit because of the nature of what a timeshare is and the $500 limit on listings in the bargain bin. I hesitate to even think about what such a property inspection would cost....

Reaction score
Not sure where this idea is coming from. The TS that OP is considering is a Wyndham one, which would either be deeded at a particular resort or part of the Wyndham points system. In either case, it wouldn't be used as a particular unit at a particular week every year. If it winds up being points in Wyndham Club Access, it would be a fractional ownership of every unit at every resort that Wyndham has in that pool of timeshare units. Thus, a property inspection would have to cover every one of them and the detailed report would wind up being a multiple volume one that takes up quite a bit of room. I'm not sure what action a buyer would take on the report either; the resort management company has the responsibility to maintain the resorts in a useable condition already for which owners pay them management fees. Given that the sale would at the most accountable be for a single week out of the year at a particular unit, it would be difficult to compel the seller to correct any type of damage since they don't own or manage the unit full time.

Bottom line for me is that property inspections do matter when you are buying a home, but probably not worth the effort for a TS. Instead, you might look to reviews of the particular resort you are interested in to see how it is being maintained combined with your own experience in visiting the resort. What you are really buying is a set of vacation experiences rather than property ownership, particularly with points-based TS systems; any flaws in the property are dealt with in the management of it and don't have much impact on the value of what you purchase. Major systemic flaws would be reflected in the cost of the management fees, as would the quality of the service and the amenities you receive when using the resort; major flaws could result in a need for higher fees, but a property inspection for a TS acquired through the bargain bin on TUG to discover any flaws at all would be a cost well in excess of any potential benefit because of the nature of what a timeshare is and the $500 limit on listings in the bargain bin. I hesitate to even think about what such a property inspection would cost....
They are thinking about buying the property. If the owner (in this case the resort owner) will definitely conceal damages to sell the property at good price! Therefore, I feel property inspection (ad link removed) is very crucial and it will help the buyer to identify whether it is worth their money or not!

Last edited by a moderator:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
They are thinking about buying the property. If the owner (in this case the resort owner) will definitely conceal damages to sell the property at good price! Therefore, I feel (ad link removed) property inspection is very crucial and it will help the buyer to identify whether it is worth their money or not!

Um . . . They aren't buying "the resort" out of the bargain bin. They are buying (taking on for free) a deed that gives them the right to use a certain amount of points in the Wyndham system.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Since it is a timeshare, there might be many hidden costs you are not aware of. Thus, it is important to conduct property inspection. The home inspector will provide a detailed report about the damage repairs required to be done on the property. Perhaps then you can negotiate the price with the seller."

Can't stop laughing at either a scam artist or someone hopelessly uninformed about timeshares. Note that they just joined to make that post.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
That "advice" from Carl was the strangest I have ever seen on TUG.

On a side note, my family is flying to Hawaii next month. Anyone know of someone I can hire to make sure the plane will be in working order?
And we're renting a car out there. How do we get a local mechanic to put it on the rack and give it the once over before we sign for it?

Much obliged.