• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Like to try and get three rentals at once

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
I know very little about Wyndham. We have 84,000 points a year. Bought “Fairfield” many many years ago. Through the years we’ve used the weeks for different vacations (spring break trips to ski, or hit the beach). Bought retail paying $60 month for maintenance fee.
Several years ago we were told we needed to pick a Home resort. I think this was after Wyndham and Fairfield got together. So our home base is Pagosa. We’ve never been there.
Retiring in Aug and would like to try and get three, one or two BR units somewhere along the gulf in FL or AL for a spring break. Taking kids and grandkids. Is this possible with our low point total? Can you bank years? Take future years? Is 84K/yr points enough to do anything?
I’m thinking maybe the best thing to do is ignore the points, and try and rent a house on the beach through a different channel. If I can put these points (and my $60/mo) MF to use for a spot, that would be great.
Just looking for some advice from you timeshare experts.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
If you bought years ago you are deeded somewhere and that is and was your home resort. You don't pick your home resort; you buy points deeded at a specific resort which makes that your home resort. Points are good to book at all the resorts and the only advantage there is to owning at a specific resort is that you get ARP, Advance Reservation Priority. ARP means you can make reservations at the 13 month window at this resort and if you want to make reservations at a different resort you would have to wait until 10 months out to do that.

Unfortunately 84k points won't get you much. Look at the point charts on the website or in your directory for the different resorts in the Florida Panhandle area. Even if it's an old directory as the point requirements don't change. At Panama City Beach a lower level studio is 105k points for weeks 14-17 and 126k points for weeks 7-13 and 18-39. Spring Breaks are different for different areas and schools but usually fall somewhere between weeks 9-17.

You have the first three months of whatever your use year is to put your points in a future use year and will pay $39 to do that.

If you plan to travel more in retirement you may want to look into buying some more points on the resale market. For this trip you could just rent a house or rent the stays from other Wyndham owners.

Last edited:

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
Another option is RCI extra vacations. Your Wyndham pts include an RCI membership. I don't know if you would find something on the beach, but you could definitely find resorts in Orlando and likely Ft Lauderdale with 2 BR condos on extra vacations for $500- $1000/wk

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI seldom has Last Call rentals on the gulf or oceans, if any at all. Definitely not during Spring Break.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Ok.. I was thinking we really didn’t have enough to do anything, but wanted to check. We’ve been lucky with it so far. Getting in where and when we wanted to. We did definitely pick a home base. We were originally Fairfield owners, and only bought points, with no home base. It wasn’t until after Fairfield was absorbed by Wyndham that we were asked to pick a home base.
Thanks all for the info.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the Fairfield days your points were deeded at a specific property. Your deed states where it is deeded; that's your home resort. Don't believe Wyndham, believe what is in print.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
We bought points at a seminar type meeting in St Louis 20 (approx) yrs ago. They promised me a free package of frozen filet mignon. I will have to look up the agreement with Fairfield, but part of their presentation was we were not tied to one place. We certainly were not tied to Pagosa like we are now. Wyndham came to us and said we were without a home base, and had to decide. What a weird deal. If we already had a home base, which we never knew about, and were told we didn’t have, why didn’t they just put us there?
The filet mignon was unbelievably bad. It became a family joke, as we decided we had all tasted kangaroo meat. The dogs enjoyed it.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check you deed, don't go with what they said.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We bought points at a seminar type meeting in St Louis 20 (approx) yrs ago. They promised me a free package of frozen filet mignon. ...

The filet mignon was unbelievably bad. It became a family joke, as we decided we had all tasted kangaroo meat. The dogs enjoyed it.

good story -

Part of timeshare usage with family is the memories

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
RCI seldom has Last Call rentals on the gulf or oceans, if any at all. Definitely not during Spring Break.
I didn't suggest Last Calls, I suggested RCI Extra Vacations. Last calls are $250-300 and only available about 45 days out.

Extra Vacations are anywhere from $300-$3000 and available over a year out. These are often priced similar to maintenance fees.

Looking at late March and early April of 2020, there are 2BR available at Sheraton Vistana ($759 - $819), Bluegreen Fountains ($779) and many other Orlando locations. Look at other destinations also, this would allow you to get multiple units.

Last edited:

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option is advertising on TUG for a timeframe and location you want. An owner with addition points to rent may be able get you what you desire.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Another option is advertising on TUG for a timeframe and location you want. An owner with addition points to rent may be able get you what you desire.

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of that. Renting points. Might work out after all.