• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando overbuilt

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course we all know, there is no shortage of available condos in Orlando. Is the new Star Wars-themed park going to make the market a little bit more balanced?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Of course we all know, there is no shortage of available condos in Orlando. Is the new Star Wars-themed park going to make the market a little bit more balanced?
Nope. Just my opinion though; not based on any facts.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Yes, it will - for Disney. You can say Orlando is overbuilt, but it is not overbuilt with high demand properties. Yes, there are many resorts there, but many of them are 40 years old and not in demand. Why else would Disney still be building resorts everywhere - Bay Lake, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, etc, etc.... Try to get into the high end resorts, like the Swan and Dolphin, which were recently upgraded from CAT4 under Starwood to CAT6 under Marriott. A room used to cost 10,000 StarPoints now costs 50,000 Rewards points. We got 3 to 1 points upgrades for resorts that are now 5 times the previous value. If you don't see the rates going through the roof you're looking at the wrong resorts. That area is INSANE!

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The new star wars area will probably increase demand for extra magic hours, and hence for on-property accomodation. I doubt it adds enough trips to change the supply-demand balance for the whole area.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try to get into the high end resorts, like the Swan and Dolphin, which were recently upgraded from CAT4 under Starwood to CAT6 under Marriott. A room used to cost 10,000 StarPoints now costs 50,000 Rewards points. We got 3 to 1 points upgrades for resorts that are now 5 times the previous value.

10000 in the old system is the same as 30000 in the new system, so 50000 is a 67% increase in points required, not 5 times the previous value...

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
They gave us 3 times our points and now charge us 5 times as much. Yea, we got a great deal.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
They gave us 3 times our points and now charge us 5 times as much. Yea, we got a great deal.

No. They gave us 3 times our points and now charge us 67% more. For these specific properties. Some properties actually went down significantly (at the top end of the redemption scale) because they capped the rate at a maximum of 60,0000 Rewards points for a while, while those properties would have been 105,000 Rewards points or higher after the 3x conversion...

Not a great deal, but nowhere near as bad as your incorrect "charge us 5 times as much" makes it sound...

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I would still argue with the point that Orlando is overbuilt. We travel on school breaks and unless we book far enough in advance cannot get into a decent resort. Sure there are dog resorts that are always available, but I wouldn't stay at a low rated resort in or out of Orlando.

Since it is the Vistana forum, I will say that I was shocked to see SVR dropped to Silver in RCI. We try to only stay in Gold Crown resorts, and SVR is still our gold standard to which we hold other resorts (that's why we bought it). To see our Silver Lake elevated to Gold status (we bought that primarily for trading) and SVR dropped to silver this year makes no sense at all. When you sort RCI Orlando by resort review, it falls near the top in the midst of the Gold Crown level resorts (and one of the most heavily rated resorts with over 8000 reviews).

I have found that service has been suffering heavily at SVR since the Marriott merge, but enough to drop it to Silver?