• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

You’ve been Bonvoyed...

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can say I have not experienced any reservation problems with the Marriott merge of systems. This year we already have 55+ nights with Marriott via hotel stays, timeshare stays, CC spend, CC bonus and enough future nights already booked to receive Titanium for next year. No problems with the website, no problems receiving the points for our stays and the staff have been excellent at all the locations where we have booked.

Currently Titanium and LT Platinum. Under the old system we would qualify for LT Titanium this year but with the change it will not happen and I will really miss the UA silver status that went along with it. I will also miss the carry over nights (losing 15+ nights from last year). We will continue to use Marriott hotels/timeshares but going forward I will also be looking at VRBO and AirBnB to expand beyond the Marriott timeshare System.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I can say I have not experienced any reservation problems with the Marriott merge of systems. This year we already have 55+ nights with Marriott via hotel stays, timeshare stays, CC spend, CC bonus and enough future nights already booked to receive Titanium for next year. No problems with the website, no problems receiving the points for our stays and the staff have been excellent at all the locations where we have booked.

Currently Titanium and LT Platinum. Under the old system we would qualify for LT Titanium this year but with the change it will not happen and I will really miss the UA silver status that went along with it. I will also miss the carry over nights (losing 15+ nights from last year). We will continue to use Marriott hotels/timeshares but going forward I will also be looking at VRBO and AirBnB to expand beyond the Marriott timeshare System.
Buddy & Ed, Check your United Mileage Plus account. I am in the same situation as you (Current Titanium and LT Platinum) and I DO have the UA Silver status this year.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

United status match is for Titanium so you do qualify. You will have to relink it if you don't have the United status.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I've been BonVoyed I checked in with my United flight for tomorrow and no longer had free carry on luggage with my basic economy fare. Found out from Marriott that only Titanium Elite has United Silver benefit (I'm Platinum). Now it will cost me $300+ for our carry ons
You're the equivalent of Marriott Rewards (MR) Gold elite, and MR Gold elites didn't get the status match; MR Platinum elites did, and the equivalent BonVoy Titanium elites do. I can understand being annoyed, but I'm not following how that makes you BonVoyed.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the article:
Marriott has sent out invitations to various writers last week offering a paid trip to Hong Kong to showcase the brand in exchange for a pair of posts in two major publications. This writer didn’t receive an invite and wouldn’t have accepted if he had. It’s not because I don’t like free trips (I would), nor that I am too busy (I am but I would make time) – it’s that I wouldn’t feel right about publishing positively about a program I don’t trust and can’t recommend. It’s not that I am bitter, it’s that I’m not interested – and I am not alone.

This, more than anything else, means that they are they know they have done a terrible job, and have no earthly idea on how to actually FIX IT to make it better. All that they can come up with is to bribe writers to create positive press. *smdh*

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It took me FOREVER to merge the accounts...eventually had to get an Elite customer service agent on the line to fix it, and then attach my Bonvoy number to my two HHI reservations. Now, my Surfwatch week has shown up in my account as being credited, but not the first Grande Ocean week....we'll see. I want my fourteen night credits!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I’m a “former Starwood” member. My first experience with Bonvoy was to make a points reservation for two nights at 25000 points a night. When my plans changed and I checked out after one night and was told 25000 points would be reinstated to my account.

Two weeks later, no points reinstated. I called customer service and gave up after 20 minutes of “An agent will be with you shortly.” I called again today and after about 10 minutes of round and round, I’m told if they aren’t reinstated by Friday, call again.

As soon as I can use the points up, I’m thru with Malvoy.

Cheers

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're the equivalent of Marriott Rewards (MR) Gold elite, and MR Gold elites didn't get the status match; MR Platinum elites did, and the equivalent BonVoy Titanium elites do. I can understand being annoyed, but I'm not following how that makes you BonVoyed.
As Vistana 5* Elite owner I got SPG Platinum which provided me the UA Silver match for several years. Unfortunately, unlike MVC Presidential and Ambassador owners, Vistana 5* Elite owner only got Bonvoy Platinum instead of Titanium. Regardless, I lost a benefit I had because of the switch from SPG to Bonvoy.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
As Vistana 5* Elite owner I got SPG Platinum which provided me the UA Silver match for several years. Unfortunately, unlike MVC Presidential and Ambassador owners, Vistana 5* Elite owner only got Bonvoy Platinum instead of Titanium. Regardless, I lost a benefit I had because of the switch from SPG to Bonvoy.
Now I understand...you've been BonVoyed.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Yes, this is an issue of contention with me. The highest level Vistana owners only received Platinum while the two highest level MVC owners received Titanium. I doubt either of the two highest levels of MVC required any more dollars to achieve than those of us Vistana owners who have achieved Vistana 5-Star Elite.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is an issue of contention with me. The highest level Vistana owners only received Platinum while the two highest level MVC owners received Titanium. I doubt either of the two highest levels of MVC required any more dollars to achieve than those of us Vistana owners who have achieved Vistana 5-Star Elite.
I think to rub salt into the wound for 5* Elite Vistana owners is that many of the MVC Presidential and Chairman's Club owners got their status through owning many resale weeks prior to June 2010. I suspect over the next few months, MVC will bump 5* Elite owners to Titanium level when they announce some sort of booking reciprocity between Vistana and MVC DC systems.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Marriott Loyalty Critics Launch New Bonvoyed Activist Campaign
By Grant Martin/ Skift/ Rooms/ Hotels/ skift.com

"It’s rare that loyalty program members get worked up enough to create their own activist campaign. They usually just bolt. That Marriott’s members have done so is a testament to how loyal some of its customers want to remain.
— Grant Martin

Hell hath no fury like a loyalty program member scorned. Grousing about Marriott’s IT systems has become almost de rigeur among Bonvoy loyalty program members, but this month, a new campaign took complaints to a new level. Launched by three activist loyalty members, bonvoyed.com aims to showcase latent issues with Marriott’s IT systems as well as offer unhappy customers a path away from the brand.

Crowdsourced complaints on the site range in variety. Some complain about the ways in which Marriott has handled merging its system with Starwood Preferred Guest. Others fume about hold times when calling customer service. According to the owners of the site, those who submit complaints will eventually be offered status matches to other, competing hotel chains like Hilton or Hyatt.

None of the IT issues, of course, are quantified in terms of the scale of the affected users — only Marriott knows what percent of its members are having difficulties and it would be problematic to release that data. What the new website does show, however, is just how apoplectic some Bonvoy members really are. To win these customers back, Marriott will need to put in some serious time in the confessional....."

Richard

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, I recently completed a stay which didn’t post. Waited the required 10 business days, filed the missing stay Report. One week later, received the following:

“Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy regarding your recent stay at the Marriott waihai [sic] Beach club. We hope you enjoyed your visit with us.

We appreciate the chance to help you with your account. We apologize we are unable to post this stay to your account as your hotel bill does not show any eligible charges. As a Marriott Bonvoy member, each time you stay at a participating hotel you may earn points or frequent flyer credit and personal Elite nights based on the eligible charges shown on the final itemized hotel bill in your name.

Please note that any charges paid through a third party (such as a travel agency or wholesale group) or billed out through a group master account are not eligible for credit.

This information is visible on the following link for the Marriott Bonvoy online terms and conditions.

https://marriott.com/

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. If you have additional questions about this matter, please contact our customer service department at:

http://www.marriott.com/

Sincerely,”
————————-
This was a stay with multiple owned weeks and trust points. The folio doesn’t show MFs, of course. But, it shows numerous bar/dining charges as well as the Marketplace. REALLY?
So, I called “Bonvoy” and after the inevitable delightful wait, was connected to a nice guy (who apparently is a relatively inexperienced call center rep). It took a few minutes to explain my request for 17.5 Bonvoy points for eligible (restaurant, etc.) charges (10 points plus 75% bonus for Titanium). After the light bulb went on, he tried to make me call Marriott Vacation Club (no number) to get Elite night credit. I asked him to look at several recent stays. The points and nights seem to me to be credited in one transaction by Marriott. He had a great attitude, and asked me to send him my folio, which I did, along with the reservation numbers for the stay. No response or confirmation he received my info. We shall see, but this shouldn’t be complicated. Any recommendations as to best way to escalate will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
What is beginning to annoy me is the numerous BonVoy emails I've been receiving. I have opted out of everything but the emails keep coming. I've unchecked all the boxes but the emails keep coming. I get at least one every day. I know it sometimes takes a week or so from when you opt out before they actually stop, but I think it's been about a month since I opted out. I never got this many Marriott Rewards emails.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I think to rub salt into the wound for 5* Elite Vistana owners is that many of the MVC Presidential and Chairman's Club owners got their status through owning many resale weeks prior to June 2010. I suspect over the next few months, MVC will bump 5* Elite owners to Titanium level when they announce some sort of booking reciprocity between Vistana and MVC DC systems.
There are very many Marriott elite owners who paid full freight. And there are 5* elite Starwood owners who reached that by cleverly retro-ing resale Weeks for under 50K (shout out to KathSD)

That said, I hope all are soon made equal.
Looking forward to improvements for all owners.

I am Platinum thru my Marriott TS which used to get United Silver, now you have to be Titanium as stated. Luckily husband is lifetime titanium.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
What is beginning to annoy me is the numerous BonVoy emails I've been receiving. I have opted out of everything but the emails keep coming. I've unchecked all the boxes but the emails keep coming. I get at least one every day. I know it sometimes takes a week or so from when you opt out before they actually stop, but I think it's been about a month since I opted out. I never got this many Marriott Rewards emails.

And yet there are others complaining they have opted in to all emails and never receive an email announcing a new promo or even receiving their e-folio. Gotta love it!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Ok folks, I recently completed a stay which didn’t post. Waited the required 10 business days, filed the missing stay Report. One week later, received the following:

“Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy regarding your recent stay at the Marriott waihai [sic] Beach club. We hope you enjoyed your visit with us.

We appreciate the chance to help you with your account. We apologize we are unable to post this stay to your account as your hotel bill does not show any eligible charges. As a Marriott Bonvoy member, each time you stay at a participating hotel you may earn points or frequent flyer credit and personal Elite nights based on the eligible charges shown on the final itemized hotel bill in your name.
This is clearly wrong on its face. There has NEVER been a requirement to have charges to your folio in order to get nights credit at an MVCI property. Most of our timeshare stays have zero charges. Dozens of such stays over the years, nights credit every time.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is clearly wrong on its face. There has NEVER been a requirement to have charges to your folio in order to get nights credit at an MVCI property. Most of our timeshare stays have zero charges. Dozens of such stays over the years, nights credit every time.
That would certainly be a new and disturbing requirement, if it were true?
Having said that, we do tend to ensure at least one charge on our folio during a stay as we have found that without this some resorts tend not to automatically credit nights, necessitating raising a missing stay request.
However on the few occasions we have had to do this, whether with or without any charges, we have never had an issue getting the nights credited following a request.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was considering contacting Marriott to see if I could be granted LT Titanium since I was so close (or so I thought). I was looking at some old screen prints of my account info and as it turns out while I am over 730 LT nights I was not even close on the number of life time points that used to be required and was unlikely to ever obtain the necessary points to qualify for any LT status under the old system.

The new Bonvoy system dropped the LT points requirement and went with the LT nights and for LT Platinum 10 years at Platinum (old gold). So "MEA CULPA" on my part and I will be happy with my LT Platinum status with room upgrades and lounge access.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would certainly be a new and disturbing requirement, if it were true?
Having said that, we do tend to ensure at least one charge on our folio during a stay as we have found that without this some resorts tend not to automatically credit nights, necessitating raising a missing stay request.
However on the few occasions we have had to do this, whether with or without any charges, we have never had an issue getting the nights credited following a request.
Bazzap and BocaBoy, I’m happy to report that it finally was straightened out. It took another week to make contact with someone at Marriott who was experienced enough. The first person, who responded to the Missing Stay Report, was clearly wrong. The second person, who I reached on the phone at Bonvoy, had the right attitude, but never gave me the points and incorrectly tried to make me call Marriott Vacation Club for Elite night credits, and never responded to further emails.
At wits’ end, I searched on FlyerTalk. William Sanders (I believe known as Starwood Lurker) had suggested to someone else with similar issues, to contact:

marriott.bonvoychampion@marriott-service.com.

After some back-and-forth, due to the fact I had several overlapping stays, two extra units for family members, and the stay spanning two calendar years, my points and elite nights have been credited. Although I am happy with the result, it is extremely frustrating to deal with people who are poorly trained, and worse in some cases, pretend to know what they are talking about. Cheers.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bazzap and BocaBoy, I’m happy to report that it finally was straightened out. It took another week to make contact with someone at Marriott who was experienced enough. The first person, who responded to the Missing Stay Report, was clearly wrong. The second person, who I reached on the phone at Bonvoy, had the right attitude, but never gave me the points and incorrectly tried to make me call Marriott Vacation Club for Elite night credits, and never responded to further emails.
At wits’ end, I searched on FlyerTalk. William Sanders (I believe known as Starwood Lurker) had suggested to someone else with similar issues, to contact:

marriott.bonvoychampion@marriott-service.com.

After some back-and-forth, due to the fact I had several overlapping stays, two extra units for family members, and the stay spanning two calendar years, my points and elite nights have been credited. Although I am happy with the result, it is extremely frustrating to deal with people who are poorly trained, and worse in some cases, pretend to know what they are talking about. Cheers.
An excellent outcome.
I suspect that email address might be in for a hammering!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Update: I called back in and spoke with a knowlegeable supervisor who immediately corrected the problem and booked my stay with the originally reserved points. Restored some of my faith in Marriott however, neither the transaction, nor my points balance is correct in the system when I login. She confirmed it was correct on her end and sent me a screen shot of the correct points balance. Still took about 2 hours to get it right...

Well I've been Bonvoyed...

Waited 20 min on hold to have a CSR tell me that they would not honor the rate of my confirmed reservation on points because the reward points on the advance certs were not applied prior to the merger. She claimed that everyone was notified. (Not!) In fact there are articles stating otherwise.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/no-increases-for-marriott-points-advance-stays/

"I reached out to the Marriott team as soon as this came to our attention, and after a few follow-ups, a spokesperson sent the following statement to us at The Points Guy over the weekend:

“We are honoring the lower rates members booked for stays before August 18, even if they do not have a certificate attached to the reservation. We apologize for any confusion.”"
And here:

https://onemileatatime.com/lock-in-marriott-booking-points-advance/

I called last fall after the merger and Marriott confirmed with the hotel that my points rate on the reservation would be honored and I could call it in at anytime when I had the points I needed. She claims that there are no notes on my account from that call - I was told they would notate the account. The new points almost double the points needed for my stay.

Will have to HUCA. Waste of time. Grrr...this really puts a bad taste in my mouth and I am not trusting the Marriott brand anymore. What's worse is that this is for a Ritz Carlton stay...have they heard of customer service?

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just noticed an email from Marriott advertising 20% off your weekend rates by Bonvoy. We are going home from Williamsburg this weekend, so I put in Newark, Delaware as a possible destination. Downtown Philadelphia and the Airport are where I can "save" money. How foolish and insincere. I've been "Bonvoyed."

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am being Bonvoyed. Been trying to make a reservation for 2 days. Online, it says an error has occurred but try later. On the phone, they get an error and they tell me to try later. I guess I just missed the window where it worked as right before the error started, I had someone make a ressie on the phone, attach my certificate, and, ended up a month off on the dates I asked for. So, had to call back, person said cancel, cert will come back, well, it never did. So, called back, got cert back, but error then started and can't even make a reservation.

UPDATE: I have now been un-bonvoyed! I typically do have "good luck" or whatever you want to call it. So, after months and months of complaining, whining, etc. about not being able to upgrade my 7 night travel package, more than 10 attempts, I reached a guy who did it for me. There is no way to directly contact him apparently. He upgraded my package from a 5 to a 6 (after it had already previously been converted from the old system to the new and upgraded once) and I have the reservation I always wanted. Happy!

Last edited: