• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should we purchase Trust Points?

MTMK4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour
Hello! My husband and I own a week at Marriott Cypress Harbour. I am embarrassed that we know so little about how the system works, but my in-laws gave us the week and we never attended a sales presentation.

Last week we stayed at Cypress Harbour and went to a sales presentation for Marriott owners. From what I understand, my in-laws paid a fee to convert their original week (purchased in the early 1990s) to 2650 Destination Points. The salesman told us that Marriott was moving inventory into the Trust and that we would be limited in what properties would be available to us in the future. It seemed to make sense so we purchased 1000 Trust Points at $14.10/point. Now that we have had a few days to think about it, we are questioning if this was a good decision.

Our questions are:

Do we really need to purchase Trust Points to have the most flexibility to book property outside of our home resort?

The salesman said we were already outside the time frame to become part of the trust but they would make an exception because we had never been to a sales presentation. If we rescind our purchase have we lost our ability to be in the trust forever?

Can we purchase resale Trust Points instead? Is there a minimum purchase required? He told us the Marriott requirement was 1500 points but because we had never been to a presentation, we could buy 1000 points instead.

I apologize if this is not clear as I may be using the wrong terminology. Destination Points, Vacation Club Points, and Trust Points have us very confused. Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry for the long post!

AIbEiAIAAABECL3PjpHko77YigEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxYzY1Njc0YTIwYWI2YzI1ZWU0NDVlMDlkYWU0YjYyMTdkMTg0MTIxMAGkJ3Kg_Hm0N98x0V1xnQO41XAyMQ

ReplyForward

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! My husband and I own a week at Marriott Cypress Harbour. I am embarrassed that we know so little about how the system works, but my in-laws gave us the week and we never attended a sales presentation.

Last week we stayed at Cypress Harbour and went to a sales presentation for Marriott owners. From what I understand, my in-laws paid a fee to convert their original week (purchased in the early 1990s) to 2650 Destination Points. The salesman told us that Marriott was moving inventory into the Trust and that we would be limited in what properties would be available to us in the future. It seemed to make sense so we purchased 1000 Trust Points at $14.10/point. Now that we have had a few days to think about it, we are questioning if this was a good decision.

Our questions are:

Do we really need to purchase Trust Points to have the most flexibility to book property outside of our home resort?

The salesman said we were already outside the time frame to become part of the trust but they would make an exception because we had never been to a sales presentation. If we rescind our purchase have we lost our ability to be in the trust forever?

Can we purchase resale Trust Points instead? Is there a minimum purchase required? He told us the Marriott requirement was 1500 points but because we had never been to a presentation, we could buy 1000 points instead.

I apologize if this is not clear as I may be using the wrong terminology. Destination Points, Vacation Club Points, and Trust Points have us very confused. Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry for the long post!

AIbEiAIAAABECL3PjpHko77YigEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKigxYzY1Njc0YTIwYWI2YzI1ZWU0NDVlMDlkYWU0YjYyMTdkMTg0MTIxMAGkJ3Kg_Hm0N98x0V1xnQO41XAyMQ

ReplyForward
$14.10 per point I believe is the full current list price.
You will always be able to buy Trust points, list prices will increase in the future, but discounts may be available too.
There are various misleading statements you were given.
So as your purchase decision was based on these, you should almost certainly rescind now whilst you have the chance, see further comments which will be posted here as well as searching similar discussions on TUG, then make an informed judgement based kn a better understanding.
There really is no time pressure on you to buy immediately.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
If your husband's parents transferred the week to their son, I would think the 'enrolled' status of your week transferred also.

That said, rescind now so you have time to more fully determine your options. You lose nothing by rescinding.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind, those were not true statements you were told.

Yes, you can buy resale points and they work the same.

Yes, you really do get more flexibility with points. Whether or not that is worth it to you, that's another story.

No, you are not currently limited to any terrible extent to what properties you can exchange into. Could you be some day? I suppose, but, then you can purchase if need be.

1000 points would allow you to do very little, perhaps add on to your weeks stay cheaply. You will not lose your ability to get trust points. That is untrue.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Rescind Immediately!

Do your research and give serious thought about buying resale. You will save a whole lot of money :cheer:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If your husband's parents transferred the week to their son, I would think the 'enrolled' status of your week transferred also.
This should be investigated by you. If your week is still enrolled, as TXTortoise correctly pointed out that it should be, then you already have access to the points program. If you find that your week is enrolled in the points program, you already have the ability to, in any year you chose to do so, swap your weeks for points and play in the points game that year. There is also an active points rental market where you can rent additional points if you wanted to expand your points total in any given year.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
It doesn't sound like the OP purchased any Trust Points yet. I also got the impression the week they own is already enrolled.

If I understand correctly my message to the OP is login to the https://my-vacationclub.com website and review the information under the Education & Resources menu. Also keep reading hear. Learn what you can do with the enrolled points you have now and ask yourself if you need more to do the things you want. Remember more points means more maintenance fees. You can rent points from other owners to meet any needed points gab you might have in a given year. There are a few website you can go to and find owners who are renting out their vacation club points. I don't have the in front of me at the moment - I sure someone will add then to this thread (please).

Destination Points, Vacation Club Points, and Trust Points are all the same thing. Trust Points are a type of Destination Points and Enrolled Points are they other type of Destination Points. Enrolled Points are the type of points you have when converting you Enrolled week to Marriott Vacation Club (MVC) Points in a given year instead of using you home resort as a full week to stay or exchange.

I created a Viso file for my husband to understand how to use our weeks. It's saved as a PDF that I attached to this post. I used a week with a lock off in my example but Cypress Harbours does not lock off it is only used as a 2BR.

Attachments

• Marriott Uses.pdf
    106.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

MTMK4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour
Thanks to all who have responded so far, you have been incredibly helpful! NJMOM2, thanks for the flow chart, it is great to see the decision process in this format.

Yes, our week is enrolled and we can convert it to 2650 Destination Points. As of now, out of ignorance, we have only used our week to go to Cypress Harbour or trade in Interval (which didn't go well).

We did purchase 1000 Trust Points last week. We did so under the impression that if we didn't own Trust Points, we would not be part of the Trust. Going forward, our ability to book other properties with Destination Points would decrease as more units were added to the Trust.

If this is not the case, or at least if a door has not closed on our ability to purchase Trust Points in the future, we will certainly rescind.

Thanks again!

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now. Thank goodness you found this site before your option to do so were gone. You can always decide to purchase later on or may find out there is no need to. The "system" has served my wife and me well, but had I known what this site has taught me, it would be just as good with a much lower cost.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Thanks to all who have responded so far, you have been incredibly helpful! NJMOM2, thanks for the flow chart, it is great to see the decision process in this format.

Yes, our week is enrolled and we can convert it to 2650 Destination Points. As of now, out of ignorance, we have only used our week to go to Cypress Harbour or trade in Interval (which didn't go well).

We did purchase 1000 Trust Points last week. We did so under the impression that if we didn't own Trust Points, we would not be part of the Trust. Going forward, our ability to book other properties with Destination Points would decrease as more units were added to the Trust.

If this is not the case, or at least if a door has not closed on our ability to purchase Trust Points in the future, we will certainly rescind.

Thanks again!

You have a very small time frame to rescind depending on where you bought it. The rescission period can be anywhere from three to seven days. You need to check on when your time to rescind is. That information should be on your paperwork you signed.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Rescind. Then read the points FAQ Sticky to learn how to use points to go to other MVC resorts in years you do not wish to use your home week. You can always buy more Trust points (resale or from MVC) in the future if you choose to do so, or better yet, rent whatever additional points you need in any year you need more without the upfront cost to purchase them.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rescind. Then read the points FAQ Sticky to learn how to use points to go to other MVC resorts in years you do not wish to use your home week. You can always buy more Trust points (resale or from MVC) in the future if you choose to do so, or better yet, rent whatever additional points you need in any year you need more without the upfront cost to purchase them.

Unless you are purchasing enough points to get to the next status level, renting points on an as-needed basis is the way to go. See https://vacationpointexchange.com/

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
It doesn't sound like the OP purchased any Trust Points yet. I also got the impression the week they own is already enrolled.

If I understand correctly my message to the OP is login to the https://my-vacationclub.com website and review the information under the Education & Resources menu. Also keep reading hear. Learn what you can do with the enrolled points you have now and ask yourself if you need more to do the things you want. Remember more points means more maintenance fees. You can rent points from other owners to meet any needed points gab you might have in a given year. There are a few website you can go to and find owners who are renting out their vacation club points. I don't have the in front of me at the moment - I sure someone will add then to this thread (please).

Destination Points, Vacation Club Points, and Trust Points are all the same thing. Trust Points are a type of Destination Points and Enrolled Points are they other type of Destination Points. Enrolled Points are the type of points you have when converting you Enrolled week to Marriott Vacation Club (MVC) Points in a given year instead of using you home resort as a full week to stay or exchange.

I created a Viso file for my husband to understand how to use our weeks. It's saved as a PDF that I attached to this post. I used a week with a lock off in my example but Cypress Harbours does not lock off it is only used as a 2BR.
I really like the flow chart you created. We own enrolled weeks and points and it can be confusing with all the options.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like the flow chart you created. We own enrolled weeks and points and it can be confusing with all the options.
Agree. I put it in Evernote and annotated it to match my deadlines and "home property." Thanks.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
We bought in to be able to use points in Europe—we were put on wait list the very first day we could book and no luck at all
Also just found out at 60 days before your request is cancelled and points returned some of which in our case have to be used by end of this year
If I had to do over would not do it again
Just my two crmts

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought in to be able to use points in Europe—we were put on wait list the very first day we could book and no luck at all
Also just found out at 60 days before your request is cancelled and points returned some of which in our case have to be used by end of this year
If I had to do over would not do it again
Just my two crmts

I don't believe Europe is selling points yet, until they do, it's harder for points.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Europe is selling points yet, until they do, it's harder for points.
Correct, points are still not being sold in Europe and there is no suggestion that they will be any time in the near future.
Also, compared to the US, it seems that relatively few European owners have enrolled their weeks in the DC points programme and even fewer actually elect those weeks for points so yes this significantly limits availability of inventory for points booking at European resorts.
Quite a few owners do reports success booking with points though, so it is certainly possible although probably easier outside of high season.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, points are still not being sold in Europe and there is no suggestion that they will be any time in the near future.
Also, compared to the US, it seems that relatively few European owners have enrolled their weeks in the DC points programme and even fewer actually elect those weeks for points so yes this significantly limits availability of inventory for points booking at European resorts.
Quite a few owners do reports success booking with points though, so it is certainly possible although probably easier outside of high season.

I knew you would know! I had success with Andaluza, though it took a waiting list. I had heard rumors they might start selling them, but no idea if it had happened or not. Thanks for confirming.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Unless things have changed recently, enrolled status does not go with the week. What does go with the transfer of an enrolled week from parent to child is the right for the child to enroll it in his or her own account. This was our experience when we transferred an enrolled week to one of our sons several years ago.