• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone done an Owners update at Elara

djrsin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld, Bay Club at Waikoloa, Hilton Hawaiian Village.
We are staying there in a couple days and I got a call asking if I want to do an owners 60 min update and they would reward me with 4 VIP tickets to V show and also dinner at Pampas the brazilian steak house. Is this worth it?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We are staying there in a couple days and I got a call asking if I want to do an owners 60 min update and they would reward me with 4 VIP tickets to V show and also dinner at Pampas the brazilian steak house. Is this worth it?

Depends on your preference. We’ve seen V and we’ve eaten at Pampas. So it’s not worth it to us.

We’ve had a really bad experience with HGVC in Vegas and stayed away for a long time. We did go last year and it wasn’t horrible. They tried to get me to “upgrade” my EY ownership to an EOY at Kingsland for fewer points and slightly lower MF’s. I still chuckle about how stupid they thought I looked.

djrsin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depends on your preference. We’ve seen V and we’ve eaten at Pampas. So it’s not worth it to us.

We’ve had a really bad experience with HGVC in Vegas and stayed away for a long time. We did go last year and it wasn’t horrible. They tried to get me to “upgrade” my EY ownership to an EOY at Kingsland for fewer points and slightly lower MF’s. I still chuckle about how stupid they thought I looked.

I am pretty sure they will ask us to upgrade our EOY at the Bay Club. I just want to do it for the free dinner and show. If I decide to do it I will tell the person conducting the owners update they have 60 min and will start my watch.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I think dinner and a show would be worth your time (if it's something you haven't done before).

{If you want a show recommendation, see The Bronx Wanderers at The Linq Hotel. I think they're one of the best shows on the Strip.}

MrDavch

Reaction score
So I had the owners upgrade presentation.

A little background is I’m a resale owner, purchased 7000 points for $3000 in December.

The sales rep meets you in the lobby, brings you up to the 57th floor (or close to it, wasn’t paying to much attention). My sales rep was trying to build rapport, basic questions about myself to break the ice. Got brought into his office and he said he will be right back, went to grab my owners file.

The whole presentation was about “elite” benefits. Funny how my original presentation last year was all about being a hgvc owner. This one was how elite is the only way to be an owner. He said if you’re not elite you won’t be able to use your points at any of the new resorts that they plan on opening up to 300 total.

The elite package he was offering was 15k points for $75000. But they were going to offer me a 1 time deal because I was resale to by back the deed at its original cost in 2008 of $30,000. And that if I did this I would have a “legitimate” deed. Funny word choice because I know my current one is “legitimate”. Funny tactics they use.

All in all $40,000 more plus triple fees I could get 15k points and be elite. All set with that. The extra benefits right now don’t mean that much to me.

Also forgot, they kept trying to tell me to buy in Hawaii and not Vegas, and again the last presentation was to buy in Vegas notHawaii.

Once he figured I wasn’t interested he just pushed me to the door. It was about 35/40 mins and I got my vouchers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So I had the owners upgrade presentation.

The elite package he was offering was 15k points

Also forgot, they kept trying to tell me to buy in Hawaii and not Vegas, and again the last presentation was to buy in Vegas notHawaii.

I think the reason they are pushing Hawaii is twofold, thats where the expansion is happening so they have units to sell, not much in Vegas other than Elara. The other reason is you can get first level of Elite (14k) with a single deed in Hawaii so only 1 maint fee.

I don’t buy that Elites only will be able to book, 300 locations that is a ridiculous number! I think its just spin on what is already in place Elites get early booking access to new resorts, but theyend up giving it to us lowlifes anyway - take The Crane in Barbados for instance, just opened up. Not that many of us want to spend that many points for one week, or $$$ for open season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@MrDavch Thanks for the update. What property did you buy for 7k points and $3k resale? Sounds like you got a great deal.

MrDavch

Reaction score
@MrDavch Thanks for the update. What property did you buy for 7k points and $3k resale? Sounds like you got a great deal.

HGVC on the Boulevard. 3 Bedroom Gold Season. I have been told several times I got a great deal. The agent who helped me close it didn’t think it would get passed ROFR.

MrDavch

Reaction score
I think the reason they are pushing Hawaii is twofold, thats where the expansion is happening so they have units to sell, not much in Vegas other than Elara. The other reason is you can get first level of Elite (14k) with a single deed in Hawaii so only 1 maint fee.

I don’t buy that Elites only will be able to book, 300 locations that is a ridiculous number! I think its just spin on what is already in place Elites get early booking access to new resorts, but theyend up giving it to us lowlifes anyway - take The Crane in Barbados for instance, just opened up. Not that many of us want to spend that many points for one week, or $$$ for open season.

Makes sense, just find it interesting in their sales approach. If you don’t have a timeshare with them they tell you that ownership is great and Vegas is the place to buy. Did my first presentation 4 months ago. Then you do an owners upgrade visit and it’s elite is the only way to be an owner and buy in Hawaii not here. And if you don’t go to elite you won’t be able to use your points at any new resort. Then he tried asking me, “how would you feel if we restricted you to your home resort?”. Are you trying to scare me into upgrading or something?

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Expect it to last longer than 60 minutes unless you push to be out of there real fast. Sometimes it is good to pick their brain and get more info. But you need to be the driver of the conversation and when you are done, tell them you are not interested unless they will sell it to you for less than $1 per point. That usually works.

There are other options for gifts. So don’t get locked into one place or one show. Keep asking what else they can offer before making a deal.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Makes sense, just find it interesting in their sales approach. If you don’t have a timeshare with them they tell you that ownership is great and Vegas is the place to buy. Did my first presentation 4 months ago. Then you do an owners upgrade visit and it’s elite is the only way to be an owner and buy in Hawaii not here. And if you don’t go to elite you won’t be able to use your points at any new resort. Then he tried asking me, “how would you feel if we restricted you to your home resort?”. Are you trying to scare me into upgrading or something?

Several people have reported that scare tactic, being restricted to home resort. The correct response is “so you want me to buy something that has no resale value because you place that restriction on resales.”

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club

It’s all about moving you up the next tier for the sales people. I got the same strong push to “become Elite”. But once you become Elite they want you to be “Elite Plus” and will badmouth being only Elite. Now, they are doing the same with me to become Elite Premier. At my last update they said so many new owners are looking to move into the elite status that HGVC is going to increase the qualification points and I should lock in while it’s still only 34k points. Its a bit annoying - especially with all the money I’ve already shelled out.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I agree they won't restrict specific resorts to just elites, but with the way they increasing the point costs, the newer resorts are easier for people with "elite level" points to book. Place like the Crane and Grand Islander are harder to book if you only have a low point unit.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree they won't restrict specific resorts to just elites, but with the way they increasing the point costs, the newer resorts are easier for people with "elite level" points to book. Place like the Crane and Grand Islander are harder to book if you only have a low point unit.

Or who own more resale points.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
2 show tickets and Pampas dinner? It doesn't hold a candle to this deal below. Plus no presentation required!

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ee-atlantis-stay-no-ts-preso-required.288198/

We will return to Vegas for a long weekend to take advantage of $200 in free dinners, and 4 tickets to free shows. Plus we are now considering going to Atlantis for 4 free nights without having to rent or trade a Vistana Harborside TS unit.

Last edited:

djrsin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok so I just finished the owners presentation. The person I got was actually nice and I was straight up with her and told her I don’t intend to upgrade or change what I got since my properties are paid off. She was not pushy and it was pretty much done in 30 mins. One info she did say was is not to buy any more resale in the future because the points will not be honored or can’t be used at any other location. It will be some fixed week. The only reason I will be able to use mine now is because I already own it and I am grand fathered in. Any truth to this? I am curious to know if this was just a ploy to not have people buying resale.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Ok so I just finished the owners presentation. The person I got was actually nice and I was straight up with her and told her I don’t intend to upgrade or change what I got since my properties are paid off. She was not pushy and it was pretty much done in 30 mins. One info she did say was is not to buy any more resale in the future because the points will not be honored or can’t be used at any other location. It will be some fixed week. The only reason I will be able to use mine now is because I already own it and I am grand fathered in. Any truth to this? I am curious to know if this was just a ploy to not have people buying resale.

They have been saying that for years.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
One info she did say was is not to buy any more resale in the future because the points will not be honored or can’t be used at any other location. It will be some fixed week. The only reason I will be able to use mine now is because I already own it and I am grand fathered in. Any truth to this? I am curious to know if this was just a ploy to not have people buying resale.

Straight lie. The scare tactic approach to try to get you to buy. They would need to change the rules for that to be true.

IMO, if you are going to these owner's updates (aka. sales presentations) expecting to truly get an owner's update on how to best utilize HGVC and/or bHC, then you are wasting your time.

Last edited:

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
Straight lie. The scare tactic approach to try to get you to buy. They would need to change the rules for that to be true.

IMO, if you are going to these owner's updates (aka. sales presentations) expecting to truly get an owner's update on how to best utilize HGVC and/or bHC, then you are wasting your time.

I hate the misleading names. I bought in 09/2018 and actually went to Orlando and stayed at Parc Soleil in November. I was offered an “Orientation” and by meeting them, some gift card etc etc.

Imagine my surprise when the lady sat down and immediately asked me: “Why didn’t you just buy all the way to Elite?!” It took me by surprise and got past my guard. Oh well. I now know that anything that comes with a concession of sorts is a “sales presentation” in disguise until proven otherwise. At that point I had discovered TUG and knew my options.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Pure sales ploy. Lips are moving. The response I would use is:

"Well if HGVC decides to limit the system and increase the risk of ownership, why would I buy something from you for tens of thousands that devalues to zero value with no resale market options for exit? I'd rather buy resale now for a fraction to limit my downside risk, or rent with no risk."

Bottom Line: Such a move would destroy the HGVC system. Take away resell points and you've introduced FUD for the developer sale, and will dramatically increase HGVC legal costs as owners bail by default and inventory swells because HGVC will be the only game in town for exit options. There will also will be lawsuits from owners who bought into the system with written deeds and contracts that include the ability to use points. Wall St. would hate this impact on the financials and punish the stock.

Last edited:

djrsin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pure sales ploy. Lips are moving. The response I would use is:

"Well if HGVC decides to limit the system and increase the risk of ownership, why would I buy something from you for tens of thousands that devalues to zero value with no resale market options for exit? I'd rather buy resale now for a fraction to limit my downside risk, or rent with no risk."

Bottom Line: Such a move would destroy the HGVC system. Take away resell points and you've introduced FUD for the developer sale, and will dramatically increase HGVC legal costs as owners bail by default and inventory swells because HGVC will be the only game in town for exit options. There will also will be lawsuits from owners who bought into the system with written deeds and contracts that include the ability to use points. Wall St. would hate this impact on the financials and punish the stock.

Thank you for the info