• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

question re marriott destination points and trading a week

trader14

Reaction score
at first glance it seems the annual maint fees outweigh the benefits for the destination points program but was wondering if resale points are purchased what if any important benefits don't transfer to the new owner?

If buying resale can you use those points to achieve status ie executive, presidential, chairman?

I own at beachplace and will likely have christmas new years week and i was wondering if i'd be able to trade it into the newer marriott resorts in maui not during holiday weeks...we are flexible but did enjoy staying at the westin kaanapali earlier this month during whale season but liked the beach more at marriott due to shore erosion. never traded our beachplace we either use it or rent it

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
at first glance it seems the annual maint fees outweigh the benefits for the destination points program but was wondering if resale points are purchased what if any important benefits don't transfer to the new owner?

If buying resale can you use those points to achieve status ie executive, presidential, chairman?

I own at beachplace and will likely have christmas new years week and i was wondering if i'd be able to trade it into the newer marriott resorts in maui not during holiday weeks...we are flexible but did enjoy staying at the westin kaanapali earlier this month during whale season but liked the beach more at marriott due to shore erosion. never traded our beachplace we either use it or rent it

They work the same as Marriott purchased points. Yes, they do help you achieve the various ownership levels. They are identical. I own resale points.

It is simplistic to say the MF exceed the benefits, many points owners will tell you otherwise. There are so many uses for points that you cannot achieve with weeks.

Bill4728

Reaction score
If you want to go to Hawaii in Nov or Dec you likely can make that trade. If you want to go in Feb-April, it will be a lot harder.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Yes, if you have resale points, you can achieve a higher status. Your points will be the same as points sold by Marriott. You will be paying Marriott $3.00 per point that you bring into the Vacation Club in addition to what you paid for the points from the seller.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding Hawaii, I have seen available via points each year, and even within the 60 day discount window, MOC, Ko Olina, Kauia Lagoons, Waikoloa in Feb-Apr pretty reliably. So, if you do get a trade into Hawaii, you could use your points on weekdays to extend that stay.

trader14

Reaction score
They work the same as Marriott purchased points. Yes, they do help you achieve the various ownership levels. They are identical. I own resale points.

It is simplistic to say the MF exceed the benefits, many points owners will tell you otherwise. There are so many uses for points that you cannot achieve with weeks.

totally agree with you on my simpleton statement. now knowing that with additional points via resale you can garner 25-30% discounts within a 60 day period in conjunction with getting upgraded rooms with status normalizes it a bit. my comment is consistent with what many others have said re weeks vs points. i can only trade my week for maybe 2200 points but to use points to get the week i always get would cost 4175 points

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am only 1000 points short. Do you think it is worth it to upgrade from select to executive?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I am only 1000 points short. Do you think it is worth it to upgrade from select to executive?
Executive is a level worth pursuing, allowing you to book 1+ night farther out.... worth the effort in my opinion.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
totally agree with you on my simpleton statement. now knowing that with additional points via resale you can garner 25-30% discounts within a 60 day period in conjunction with getting upgraded rooms with status normalizes it a bit. my comment is consistent with what many others have said re weeks vs points. i can only trade my week for maybe 2200 points but to use points to get the week i always get would cost 4175 points

Sure, at that specific place, but not true everywhere and of course you would never elect for points in your example so it's irrelevant. Also, depends on what size you need. For me, at DSV2, I get 2,900 points for it if I elect. But to stay in high season costs 2,225, then with 30% off that I always get, it's actually 1,557 points. i.e., I can almost get 2 1BR weeks. Why? Because it's just 2 of us, we don't need a 2BR. We always extend that stay, so, weekday costs are 160/night, * 5 = 800 * .7 = 560. So, we stay 12 nights for 2117 points, meaning, we have an excess of 783 still. There are many ways to use the system to your advantage, but there are some places where it rarely makes sense to use points. There are also some places where the week election value gives you MF of 35 cents or so per point which isn't bad. There are some places easier to get in with points, some easier with weeks.