• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Resale Market and Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico

shirlasker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a timeshare at Vidanta and they gave us a credit for another timeshare we have in Mexico. We signed an agreement that we would sell the other timeshare through Timeshare
Resale Market out of New Hampshire. I spoke to the Better Business Bureau in New Hampshire and TRM has a "D" rating. They take your money upfront and dont sell your timehare. We would rather hold onto the other timeshare than pay over $1,000 or more to this crooked group.
(they are also known as "sell my timeshare now".

It seems to be that the whole thing is a scam. TRM works with Timeshare Resorts who make deals to give new owners a better deal by giving them a discount if they sell their old timeshare through TRM. They (the timeshare resorts, in this case, Vidanta) probably gets a commission for sending the clients to TRM.

TRM sent us an email saying that since we did an equity trade with Vidanta, our whole purchase
could be in jeopardy unless we listed through them, intimating that Vidanta could come after us
for the "current value" of our other timeshare.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation would be appreciated.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
TRM probably will not sell your trade-in timeshare. You will have to pay them money to even try. There are many threads here in the Mexico Forum with the same complaints and comments. Do not pay TRM to get rid of your timeshare. You could have bought Vidanta for the same amount without jumping through the hoops to get to the price you paid.

Vidanta resorts are nice. The sales force is not. You did not say when you bought this, but if it was very recent, call Customer Services and tell them that you will just keep the one you traded in. It will not cost you anything, except the MF until you sell it.

Try to sell it on TUG Market Place or eBay knowing that you will not get what you paid for it. I have personally bought timeshares for as little as $5.50 including the cost of transferring to our name.

Good Luck.

shirlasker

TUG Member
Reaction score
TRM probably will not sell your trade-in timeshare. You will have to pay them money to even try. There are many threads here in the Mexico Forum with the same complaints and comments. Do not pay TRM to get rid of your timeshare. You could have bought Vidanta for the same amount without jumping through the hoops to get to the price you paid.

Vidanta resorts are nice. The sales force is not. You did not say when you bought this, but if it was very recent, call Customer Services and tell them that you will just keep the one you traded in. It will not cost you anything, except the MF until you sell it.

Try to sell it on TUG Market Place or eBay knowing that you will not get what you paid for it. I have personally bought timeshares for as little as $5.50 including the cost of transferring to our name.

Good Luck.
Thank you so much for your reply. You verified what we thought. Actually we have decided we want to keep our original timeshare as well as Vidanta.
We thought Vidanta inflated the price to adjust for the phony trade in. We dont want to be paying TRM for a service that they will not provide.
We just bought Feb. this year. We will be calling Customer Service and do as you suggested. Again, we really appreciate your reply and this website!!!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Contact Vidanta member services soonest and tell them that you’ve decided to keep your old timeshare for sentimental reasons. They will be happy to have TRM or whoever they are using now back off. The paper you signed is not a contract because it was not signed by or on behalf of the other party and doesn’t guarantee there performance in any way. You can find multiple threads on that here. Also, if you recall the verification call with Vidanta corporate that you had recorded, they never mentioned the timeshare trade in; that’s because it’s just a sales gimmick and they gave up absolutely nothing and are getting absolutely nothing from the trade in. If anyone is getting anything from TRM, it’s the salesperson you dealt with, not Vidanta.

By the way, been there, done that, did the research because it sounded too fishy, and did what I just recommended. I’ve traded in the same TS with them a couple of times on upgrades, they don’t really care because it doesn’t change the price. They also never checked that you actually had one, did they?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
TRM sent us an email saying that since we did an equity trade with Vidanta, our whole purchase
could be in jeopardy unless .....

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation would be appreciated.

Contact Vidanta Member Services - (They are not sales ). M-F Nuevo Vallarta

They will VERY VERY likely tell you that the equity trade is irrelevant , and that you can keep the other time share .
They can also confirm this by email so you have it writing .

You will own 2 timeshares

Just realized that others had confirmed this for you as well .

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Contact Vidanta member services soonest and tell them that you’ve decided to keep your old timeshare for sentimental reasons. ..... You can find multiple threads on that here. Also, if you recall the verification call with Vidanta corporate that you had recorded, they never mentioned the timeshare trade in; that’s because ...... If anyone is getting anything from TRM, it’s the salesperson you dealt with, not Vidanta.

By the way, been there, done that, did the research because it sounded too fishy, and did what I just recommended. I’ve traded in the same TS with them a couple of times on upgrades, they don’t really care because it doesn’t change the price. They also never checked that you actually had one, did they?

Eric - does "trading in " the same timeshare more than once make the sales staff think they have you "hooked" with the same worm each time ?

-" keep it for sentimental reasons"
LOL

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Actually, they're a bit annoyed with me because I've got what I want and have been saying no the last few times....

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
We haven’t gone to an owners meeting for three years. I think we have exactly what we want also. It’s amazing how vidanta and vida can coexist. Like goofus and gallant from highlights magazine when I was a kid. When we were in RM in Feb, I went to member services to review my contract. There was a couple sitting there trying to get out of the contract they just had signed. I told them about TUG. Maybe next year I’ll spend the five hours I would have lost with the owners update just hanging around the member services area handing out TUG information sheets.

mantonini

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Waiohai, Vidanta Grand Luxxe, Solaz Cabo
Contact Vidanta member services soonest and tell them that you’ve decided to keep your old timeshare for sentimental reasons. They will be happy to have TRM or whoever they are using now back off. The paper you signed is not a contract because it was not signed by or on behalf of the other party and doesn’t guarantee there performance in any way. You can find multiple threads on that here. Also, if you recall the verification call with Vidanta corporate that you had recorded, they never mentioned the timeshare trade in; that’s because it’s just a sales gimmick and they gave up absolutely nothing and are getting absolutely nothing from the trade in. If anyone is getting anything from TRM, it’s the salesperson you dealt with, not Vidanta.

Thank you for this information. I am a new member with TUG and was just about to get mixed-up with TRM. Someone suggested I go on this site before I make that mistake. Now I know what to do. Thanks again, Miriam Antonini

tamp

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sapphire and Vidanta

Thank you so much for your insight on this. We recently bought and traded in as well. Thank goodness I found this thread. I told TRM that on my lawyers advice, we are keeping our trade in. The call ended immediately and have not heard back from them. Also talked to member services at Vdanta and they are not holding us responsible for any trade in equity credit. Yes, I still have maintenance dues at the original property but I'd rather give it away than pay another scam artist. Guess I'll have to figure out how to use that property so I can find someone who wants to take it over. Or maybe rent it out to cover maintenance fee.