• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotels in Venice, Italy

tlwmkw

Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Italy in August and have 2 nights set aside for Venice. Has anyone stayed at any of the Marriott's in Venice? Or any recommendations for Airbnb? The prices there are VERY high and availability is very limited already.

Have already started a thread about hotels in Rome and it has been very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

tlwmkw

Mahou

Reaction score
I would recommend to stay as close to the city center as possible. Don’t rent a car, parking and moving around in Rome is impossible. Use taxi’s and public transport

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I quite liked the Westin Europe and Regina. Great location right on the grand canal and a 1 minute walk from San Marco Square.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are planning a trip to Italy in August and have 2 nights set aside for Venice. Has anyone stayed at any of the Marriott's in Venice? Or any recommendations for Airbnb? The prices there are VERY high and availability is very limited already.

Have already started a thread about hotels in Rome and it has been very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

tlwmkw

We have not stayed at the Marriott hotels in Venice. We have only been there once and we wanted something close to the train station due to our arrival by train. We found Hotel Abbazia on booking.com and loved it. It is one block from the train station and just off of the Grand Canal, but it seemed very quiet. They are reasonably priced for Venice and provide a good breakfast.

Check out the location on Google maps and hotel/room details on booking.com and see if it would work for you. We like to walk, so we walked through the winding streets/walkways to the Realto Bridge and St. Mark's Square.

Have a great time.

Best regards.

Mike

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent five nights at the Venice Boscolo Marriott and had a wonderful time. It is an historic property right on a canal that is off the beaten track, very nice neighborhood and no tourist crowd. On Sunday night we stayed out later than we should with friends and a lot of the water buses were not running so my friend, a really smart Professor type, said it's an easy walk. Now, he lives down the street from me in Pittsburgh, how would he know that? Whatever, we were near St. Marks Square, he led the way and a few minutes in we stopped for gelato - before we could finish the gelato we were within sight of the hotel. So, even though it's off the beaten path, it's really only a relatively short walk away from everything. Also, water taxis. I saw this review from "The Points Guy" and it's so well done that I'm sending the link. Good luck. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/boscolo-venezia-marriott-hotel-review/

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Hotel Abbazia. It is very close to the train station, a refurbished Monastery. Even has a small courtyard (a rarity to find trees and grass on an island built on pilings). Good restaurants, a Vaporetto stop (for the Ferrovia) nearby on the Grand Canal.

Jim

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pre-merger there were few Marriott options. We stayed at the Courtyard near the airport. Admittedly, the view was terrible, but the price was great. I would consider it if paying cash for a hotel and depending how long you are staying (are you arriving from the US and getting adjusted because of time change?). We got a multi-day transit pass (machine at the airport) which included city buses and boats ("vaporetti"). The city bus stop going into the city was a few feet from the front door (opposite side of the street from the hotel). From the bus terminal (actually more like a large parking lot instead of a building), we had a choice of taking the city boats (Vaporetti), private water taxis, the monorail to the cruise terminal, or walking across a footbridge into this historic part of the city. That multi-day pass was worth every penny. We found ourselves jumping on the Vaporetti boats just to ride. One evening we went on a long loop and basically got a tour of the Venice lights and had the most wonderful summer breeze. Then we would ride the bus back to the Courtyard.

In very simple terms think of Venice in two parts-- a medium sized city and then the historic island you have visions of. Buses are on the mainland and Vaporetti boats at the island.

If you are staying after cruise-- by all means get off the ship (you have to ride a monorail type vehicle) and buy the multi-day transit pass at a booth at the transit terminal. Using a combination of the Vaporetti and city bus to get around is easy... and you could certainly use it to get to the airport on your final day. A water taxi directly to your hotel will be "faster" but will also be expensive. The same would be true getting from your hotel to the airport.

Historic Venice is not easy to get around with a lot of luggage. You would probably have to pay a porter to carry your bags through Historic Venice because of the windy sidewalks, steps and bridges. The Courtyard on the mainland near the airport eliminates a lot of the luggage hassle.

Still, now that Marriott has expanded and there are many more offerings, I understand the allure of staying at an historic, plush Palace in the historic area.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice (FWIW I know this is the Marriott Forum but you indicated that you were open to alternatives.) Rooftop pool with views of city. There are also canal front rooms to watch the boats and cruise ships go by (note rooms are small with no balcony). It's in a converted warehouse right on the main canal. Venice is right across the canal and there are regular water shuttles to take you across.

If you are Hilton Gold or Diamond (with Amex Hilton credit cards), you gain free access to the morning buffet which is really nice. There is also a free evening lounge but not great.

I also saw water shuttles for the JW Marriott close-by. If I had to do over again I would also explore that option for points rooms. We stayed at the Hilton on points and would stay there again.

Last edited:

PHLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the newly opened AC Hotel Venezia last March. Great hotel on a canal and a 5-10 minute walk (with luggage) from the train station.
Beautiful room in a very convenient walking location. A lower points option vs. other in-town Marriotts, with all the conveniences.