• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help - buying 1000 - 1500 marriott points is that enough to go anywhere.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I was looking at the point chart and saw this for a 2/2 OV Waiohai Beach Club:

Jan 31 – Feb 13
Feb 21 – Mar 26
Jun 5 – Jul 2
Jul 10 – Aug 27
Fri – Sat 925 1,125
Sun – Thu 600 725
Full Week 4,850 5,875

So if we had points and wanted a full week on a date listed, an IV would be 4,850 points and an OV 5,875 points. What is the MF per point? Currently a Waiohai week’s MF is around $2200.

For pure trust points, the MF/point is $0.58/pt for 2019. Folks who have enrolled weeks have a different cost - for example - a 2BR OF at Maui Ocean Club has a MF of $2407 and yields 6450 points ($0.37/point), but a Preferred season at Hilton Head Harbour Point has a MF of $1343, but only generates 1150 Destination Points ($1.17/point)

But using the $0.58/point trust cost as an "average," an Ocean View unit at Waiohai would cost $3408/week and the Island View $2813, versus a maintenance fee of $2140. That's why we're working on buying an EOY at Waiohai. We plan to use it there EOY, so not being enrolled isn't an issue. Same way we use our EOY Maui Ocean Club.

Weeks are great for low cost trips to a specific resort. Points are more flexible, but at a higher cost.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, you ARE my hero for the amazing family trips you have planned!!! That is not so easy to pull off.
I hope the weather is pristine for both stays, and they're everything you're hoping they will be, as I'm sure they will be.
Wow.
Thanks Marty, To be honest, I think Kim and I get more out of it than anyone else as it really is better to give than receive. It's really not that difficult to accomplish for us as we own (now) 9 weeks at MGO and have sufficient enrolled points to make this happen as well as Platinum in Bluegreen. We normally do HH at MGO but did OP one year, HH Surfwatch one year and every few trips I use our BG points and do MountainLoft in Gatlinburg. We also did Nashville one year all on exchange at the one timeshare resort there (Wyndham). I avoid most of the stresses that plague people when planning a larger trip including scheduling, collecting and drama. We're lucky in that we don't have much inherent drama though I've made it clear that any who do are likely to be disinvited. I consider preferences, maybe poll the group, decide what works general terms, reserve then invite up to the level I've been able to reserve. Fortunately the last few years we've had enough volume we didn't have to pick and chose. I insist on a family meal together (which I plan and arrange) and otherwise they can do as much or little as they want with others. I plan NOT to control others vacation assuming they decide to go which is an element of control obviously. I have a group photo for all trips going back to 1999 staying at DVC's OKW (smaller group) the last year of our free passes. Our last group photo in 2017 (went to HI last year 15 people) had 48 or 49 people in it.

My wife get's tied into weather and the like for such trips but I don't worry about it. Our second last last HI trip we were at a meeting on Oahu (Hyatt Regency) for a week then a week in Maui (Westin on exchange). Kim had slotted her pool time to Maui and it was cold Windy (even by HI standards) and rainy all week. It literally cleared up a few hours one morning but fortunately that was our whale watching day. Even as we're driving to the airport I'm pointing out the whales to her trying to distract her complaining about the weather.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks Marty, To be honest, I think Kim and I get more out of it than anyone else as it really is better to give than receive. It's really not that difficult to accomplish for us as we own (now) 9 weeks at MGO and have sufficient enrolled points to make this happen as well as Platinum in Bluegreen. We normally do HH at MGO but did OP one year, HH Surfwatch one year and every few trips I use our BG points and do MountainLoft in Gatlinburg. We also did Nashville one year all on exchange at the one timeshare resort there (Wyndham). I avoid most of the stresses that plague people when planning a larger trip including scheduling, collecting and drama. We're lucky in that we don't have much inherent drama though I've made it clear that any who do are likely to be disinvited. I consider preferences, maybe poll the group, decide what works general terms, reserve then invite up to the level I've been able to reserve. Fortunately the last few years we've had enough volume we didn't have to pick and chose. I insist on a family meal together (which I plan and arrange) and otherwise they can do as much or little as they want with others. I plan NOT to control others vacation assuming they decide to go which is an element of control obviously. I have a group photo for all trips going back to 1999 staying at DVC's OKW (smaller group) the last year of our free passes. Our last group photo in 2017 (went to HI last year 15 people) had 48 or 49 people in it.

My wife get's tied into weather and the like for such trips but I don't worry about it. Our second last last HI trip we were at a meeting on Oahu (Hyatt Regency) for a week then a week in Maui (Westin on exchange). Kim had slotted her pool time to Maui and it was cold Windy (even by HI standards) and rainy all week. It literally cleared up a few hours one morning but fortunately that was our whale watching day. Even as we're driving to the airport I'm pointing out the whales to her trying to distract her complaining about the weather.

Always interesting to get "back stories" regarding families and trips....
brings the timeshare thing to life, so to speak....thanks for that.

Also, LOL on the "no drama" policy, Love it.............if only.....

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For pure trust points, the MF/point is $0.58/pt for 2019. Folks who have enrolled weeks have a different cost - for example - a 2BR OF at Maui Ocean Club has a MF of $2407 and yields 6450 points ($0.37/point), but a Preferred season at Hilton Head Harbour Point has a MF of $1343, but only generates 1150 Destination Points ($1.17/point)

But using the $0.58/point trust cost as an "average" this Ocean View units at Waiohai would cost $3408/week and the Island View $2813, versus a maintenance fee of $2140. THat's whey we're working on buying an EOY at Waiohai. We plan to use it there EOY, so not being enrolled isn't an issue. Same way we use our EOY Maui Ocean Club.

Weeks are great for low cost trips to a specific resort. Points are more flexible, but at a higher cost.
Side by side points are probably more flexible but weeks combined with II exchanges has it's own inherent flexibility and value. For me personally I use them all in concert. For example, the HI trip I mentioned in 2018 I accomplished almost completely by exchange yet I had it booked as a combination of points and an owned week at MKO by 12 months out. In the end we had Maui 1 BR for the 2 of us. MKO with several units 15 people total and Waiohai three 2 BR. Of those the only thing we ended up using points for was one of the Waiohai weeks the rest was on exchange. As I got exchanges I cancelled reservations and took points on our MKO week. Our previous HI trip was slightly smaller but similar and also 3 weeks/3 islands. A 2 BR Maui (new towers) on points, MKO a exchange 2 BR and KBC 1 BR on points. Same idea for Aruba in Jan for 11 nights 4 couples with a total of 2 exchanges and 4 nights in a studio on points plus11 nights in a 2 BR on points OS. One studio was IV and fit perfectly for the 7 nights one of the couple came. The other studio was OF.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Always interesting to get "back stories" regarding families and trips....
brings the timeshare thing to life, so to speak....thanks for that.

Also, LOL on the "no drama" policy, Love it.............if only.....
We're inherently lucky but I know our approach has made a difference as well. It's been interesting to see some of the families evolve over time and while everyone's always been appreciative, a number have clearly come to realize the level of effort, planning and commitment that goes into this.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Side by side points are probably more flexible but weeks combined with II exchanges has it's own inherent flexibility and value. For me personally I use them all in concert. For example, the HI trip I mentioned in 2018 I accomplished almost completely by exchange yet I had it booked as a combination of points and an owned week at MKO by 12 months out. In the end we had Maui 1 BR for the 2 of us. MKO with several units 15 people total and Waiohai three 2 BR. Of those the only thing we ended up using points for was one of the Waiohai weeks the rest was on exchange. As I got exchanges I cancelled reservations and took points on our MKO week. Our previous HI trip was slightly smaller but similar and also 3 weeks/3 islands. A 2 BR Maui (new towers) on points, MKO a exchange 2 BR and KBC 1 BR on points. Same idea for Aruba in Jan for 11 nights 4 couples with a total of 2 exchanges and 4 nights in a studio on points plus11 nights in a 2 BR on points OS. One studio was IV and fit perfectly for the 7 nights one of the couple came. The other studio was OF.

I've seen some pretty convoluted and complicated spread sheets in my day,
but the timeshare spread sheets required of us EVERY YEAR can be downright SCARY and STRESSFUL. :eek:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the point chart and saw this for a 2/2 OV Waiohai Beach Club:

Jan 31 – Feb 13
Feb 21 – Mar 26
Jun 5 – Jul 2
Jul 10 – Aug 27
Fri – Sat 925 1,125
Sun – Thu 600 725
Full Week 4,850 5,875

So if we had points and wanted a full week on a date listed, an IV would be 4,850 points and an OV 5,875 points. What is the MF per point? Currently a Waiohai week’s MF is around $2200.

More, around 58 cents per point I think? If you merely compare points to weeks and always full weeks, in many (but not all) places, points will cost more, but that's not the reason to have points of course. Hawaii is one of the worst places for points, unless you are supplementing a week and turning into 12 days with the other 5 days the cheaper cost days as then it's at least closer. Where you get more value is when you are higher on the benefit level chart, every trip I take is 30% less points than the chart.

For our upcoming Fiji -> Brisbane -> Thailand, it was impossible to make good free flights and the stays line up. Some were weeks. So, since we had points, it was easy to backfill where needed such that we could get good free flights, I ended up needing 4 more nights at various places to make it all work out. May or may not have been possible without points (by spending cash). Availability is very good everywhere we have gone thus far.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own more than 10 weeks (some enrolled, some not, small amount of trust its), work full time plus Bluegreen and DVC. I've purposefully positioned myself for retirement but I use most of my time now, immediate family uses some and I rent minimally. I've got 10 concurrent weeks at HH this summer for a family trip and will do the same next year. We do a larger family trip most years where I cover the accommodations. My way of giving back and getting people together. I couldn't do this on cash.

That is priceless Dean! Kudos. For us, getting anyone to go is always a chore. People we know simply do not travel or are too busy in life. See a lot of that today, even people who can afford it. And I don't get it, we grew up with annual vacations so it's engrained in me.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Side by side points are probably more flexible but weeks combined with II exchanges has it's own inherent flexibility and value. For me personally I use them all in concert.

True enough for II exchanges, for folks like you that don't really mind the trading game. We've made a personal decision not to use II any more (except in an emergency "trade-it-or-lose-it" scenario), not because we haven't been able to get good value for exchanges, but because we detest the whole process of exchanging. So, for us, it's deeded weeks for places we want to go regularly, points or cash for flexibility. We also don't have a large family (we're two only-children, so our two kids are the extent of our immediate family), so we have no need to put together 10 units in one week. I couldn't imagine the cost of doing that with points!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

But using the $0.58/point trust cost as an "average," an Ocean View unit at Waiohai would cost $3408/week and the Island View $2813, versus a maintenance fee of $2140. That's why we're working on buying an EOY at Waiohai. We plan to use it there EOY, so not being enrolled isn't an issue. Same way we use our EOY Maui Ocean Club.

Thanks. Good luck with your Waiohai purchase. We just added a 2/2 EOYO IV Waiohai to use with our 2/2 EOYO OV MKO. Now if we can get past ROFR on an OF Hyatt Ka’anapali, we will have our 3 week EOYO trip to Hawaii complete.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I'll quote myself and add one observation from the above examples that demonstrates the real power of a high quality enrolled week (and why folks like Marty [jme] who got to enroll their pre-June 2010 weeks for peanuts have the best deal of all).

For an owner of the example enrolled 2BR OF at Maui Ocean Club with a $0.37 per point MF cost, electing their week for points and then booking Waiohai would mean they could book an Island View for $1795 (cheaper than the MF paid by an owner) or an Ocean View for $2174 (about the same as the ownership cost for Waiohai). But to make those numbers work, you have to own a high quality enrolled week with a low MF/point cost.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks. Good luck with your Waiohai purchase. We just added a 2/2 EOYO IV Waiohai to use with our 2/2 EOYO OV MKO. Now if we can get past ROFR on an OF Hyatt Ka’anapali, we will have our 3 week EOYO trip to Hawaii complete.

Congratulations on the 2/2 EOYO IV at Waiohai. That is what we're after as well. I assume your statement above means you're already closed or at least passed ROFR. Would you be willing to share your price that passed ROFR?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is priceless Dean! Kudos. For us, getting anyone to go is always a chore. People we know simply do not travel or are too busy in life. See a lot of that today, even people who can afford it. And I don't get it, we grew up with annual vacations so it's engrained in me.
That's why we make the reservations and invite people. If they decide to go, great, if not, we didn't wait on them to make plans. It really does relieve a lot of potential stress Our last HH trip we had 51 people, 43 as a core part of the group and 8 who came and used the rest of an exchange at Heritage that we weren't going to use and would sit empty. I had chartered a boat for a dolphin excursion and we had a nice problem, the boat only held 40 but all 43 wanted to go.

True enough for II exchanges, for folks like you that don't really mind the trading game. We've made a personal decision not to use II any more (except in an emergency "trade-it-or-lose-it" scenario), not because we haven't been able to get good value for exchanges, but because we detest the whole process of exchanging. So, for us, it's deeded weeks for places we want to go regularly, points or cash for flexibility. We also don't have a large family (we're two only-children, so our two kids are the extent of our immediate family), so we have no need to put together 10 units in one week. I couldn't imagine the cost of doing that with points!
I don't mind playing the game up to a point but I also like having options locked in and being able to plan including air and inviting others. That's why I own weeks to use, weeks for destination points and weeks to exchange. And I use them in tandem along with our Bluegreen points and our Marriott reward points. I do think exchanging has been a little more difficult the last couple of years, we could discuss the reasons we all think so on a separate thread if desired. My approach certainly has cost and commitment but has been a great way for us to approach Marriott timesharing. Not only do I use them mix and match, I also fit them together to make our "13 month" reservations.

That's essentially where we are, an IV/MV EOY at both Waiohai and MKO. I haven't pulled the trigger on a Maui week yet and I may not.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Congratulations on the 2/2 EOYO IV at Waiohai. That is what we're after as well. I assume your statement above means you're already closed or at least passed ROFR. Would you be willing to share your price that passed ROFR?
Yes, I will put it into ROFR.net.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I'll quote myself and add one observation from the above examples that demonstrates

the real power of a high quality enrolled week (and why folks like Marty [jme] who got to enroll their
pre-June 2010 weeks for peanuts have the best deal of all
).

I do love peanuts. :)

And you are absolutely right.....pure dumb luck and being in the right place at the right time...

Imagine getting 18,000 DC points option (+ 800 DC points, one-time use, as a free incentive gift) for $595.
Deal of the century.

And I even had friends who turned it down, complaining about "more fees".
Of course they don't even know how to book weeks online, so no surprise.
Many owners still do nothing but occupy their weeks, and are totally ignorant of everything else,
including the points program and TUG. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. :doh:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints