• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help - buying 1000 - 1500 marriott points is that enough to go anywhere.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
1000 points on their own won't do much. If you "bank" and "borrow" you have 3000 points to use in one year out of three, which would get you a full week in many places. If you own a "week" 1000 points can get you a day or two before or after your week for extra flexibility. But a first time buyer would likely be disappointed in having only 1000 points, thus making future sales pitches and purchases likely. That 1000 points could be very expensive in the long run.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
....But a first time buyer would likely be disappointed in having only 1000 points, thus making future sales pitches and purchases likely. That 1000 points could be very expensive in the long run.
The contra view to this is that if you like the flexibility of the points system, then owning the least amount just to have an account, and renting the rest is not a bad way to go. By renting additional points only in the years that you need them, you have a virtually unlimited supply of additional points which cost you just a small premium annually over and above what the MF's would have cost you if you had owned them, but without the upfront cost to buy them. MVC could of course change the rules on transferring points, making renting more problematic down the road. And there is the fact that buying the Trust points resale would save some upfront $$ as well, but the strategy of owning a small amount of points and renting the rest, based on today's rules, is not necessarily a bad move if you want to play in the points game with MVC.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
1000 points on their own won't do much. If you "bank" and "borrow" you have 3000 points to use in one year out of three, which would get you a full week in many places.

I don't own MVC Points but have three observations. One, it sounds expensive to "bank and borrow" points to get one week every 3 years; Two, owning a small number of Points and renting the rest to get a Week sounds like a reasonable way to go; and Three. with Marriott there is always the risk they will change the rules down the road. Number Three is why I divested my Marriott Weeks many years ago...

George

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own MVC Points but have three observations. One, it sounds expensive to "bank and borrow" points to get one week every 3 years; Two, owning a small number of Points and renting the rest to get a Week sounds like a reasonable way to go; and Three. with Marriott there is always the risk they will change the rules down the road. Number Three is why I divested my Marriott Weeks many years ago...

George

Ok, but, one does not get one week every 3 years. It depends what one is looking for. They said 1000 - 1500 points. So, right now, for 1260 points, I can get a 2BR for a week at Legends End, Fairways Villas, Shadow Ridge, almost 2 weeks at the Pulse in San Diego(1BR), Timber Lodge, and several other places within MVCI. And not speaking of ownership level 30% discount since that would not apply to the OP it seems, and, there are many 1BR that would be added to the list. Without knowing the specifics of what was bought, bonuses, was there weeks involved, etc., we are speculating. If it's just raw points and nothing else, I would definitely rescind. I am not clear on what exactly was the deal.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

George
Owning some points and renting more as you need them is not a bad way to go.
I still think that owning weeks, especially if they were eligible for enrolment (because of being bought before any cutoff dates) is the best value option.
It suits us best anyway, as we find points too expensive to buy and own, but we can rent more of them at a reasonable price if and when we need them.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Owning some points and renting more as you need them is not a bad way to go.
I still think that owning weeks, especially if they were eligible for enrolment (because of being bought before any cutoff dates) is the best value option.
It suits us best anyway, as we find points too expensive to buy and own, but we can rent them at a reasonable price if and when we need them.
No doubt, pre cutoff resale purchased enrollable weeks is by far the best way into the game.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Bottom line, not worth the cost for what you get....with that amount of points you'll be limited to off-seasons
and short stays, and never enough for a nice week at a nice resort.

As suggested, look at the Marriott points chart and
1. pick a resort.
2. pick a favorite time.
3. see how many points
are required for that.
4. decide if that's OK.
5. RESCIND.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Bottom line, not worth the cost for what you get....with that amount of points you'll be limited to off-seasons

1. pick a resort.
2. pick a favorite time.
3. see how many points
are required for that.
4. decide if that's OK.
5. RESCIND.
I would rescind. 1,000 points will not do anything for you unless you are willing te rent points as you need them. which, I only learned about since joining TUG. I would do more research, hold off on the purchase, and whatever inducement they made will be available.

The salespeople at the presentation are trained sharks. They live of misrepresentations and implied falsehoods.

This is not to say this is a scam....it is just caveat emptor in the extreme. ( let the buyer beware incase I speed it wrong)

Take this from a two time purchaser.

1. pick a resort.
2. pick a favorite time.
3. see how many points
are required for that.
4. decide if that's OK.
5. RESCIND.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
never enough for a nice week at a nice resort.

Simply untrue as noted. It is fine that you may disagree with points purchase of course (though we love them), but, this is a false statement as I showed above, I gave specific examples of weeks and their cost, they are certainly nice weeks at a nice resort. There are others as well. I suspect you do not own any points. Like the weeks system, there are many ways to work things. There are advantages to owning a minimal number of points. There is a lot of mis-information on points from weeks owners. I've said my piece and will bow out.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun

George

Number 3 bothers me a lot. We own post 2010 weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Simply untrue as noted. It is fine that you may disagree with points purchase of course (though we love them), but, this is a false statement as I showed above, I gave specific examples of weeks and their cost, they are certainly nice weeks at a nice resort. There are others as well. I suspect you do not own any points. Like the weeks system, there are many ways to work things. There are advantages to owning a minimal number of points. There is a lot of mis-information on points from weeks owners. I've said my piece and will bow out.
I own points and weeks that are enrolled as well as weeks that are not enrolled. I also own a fair amount of points with DVC and Bluegreen. I actually own 1000 Marriott trust points (resale before increase in fees). 1000-1500 points is not bad if you have other options but as a single option it is far too limiting IMO. I understand your point that there are always other options like cash, VRBO, Air BnB, Priceline, redweeks,etc; but I wouldn't fool with this at this level even if it were resale and they had true interest much less as a retail purchase. I'd rescind, learn and make a better decision.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

I think we are defining "nice" differently when we talk about my post of "a nice week at a nice resort". I'm referring to, say,
a week at Mountainside during ski season, a week at Newport Coast Villas during peak season, a week at Grande Ocean in June or July,
a week at Maui Ocean Club in January/February, a week at Aruba Surf Club during peak time, or a week at Lakeshore Reserve during high season as examples. Those are the ones I mean.

And those are the reason I bought timeshares in the first place----to show my family the best of the USA, and the best of Europe.
I didn't buy 10 Marriott timeshares to spend time at Legend's Edge or Fairway Villas, that's for sure. Nor do I have the desire to take time off for shoulder-season or low season somewhere where we'd be skimping just to be there. Not my personal idea of how I wish to spend my vacation time. I work very hard in order to enjoy the best of the best, and I refuse to buy 2000 points, or 2500, or 3500 for an outrageous price (or if I were a young family just entering the system) when it won't get me anything close to what I described above,
and we both know it won't.
I would think a young family would want something "nice" too, not exactly what they'd get for 1500+/- points. I think our travel habits are a bit different, but that's one fantastic advantage of this system, it works for everybody.

Therefore I have no need to own trust points, which is what you're referring to.
However, my enrolled weeks give me 18,000 points annually to play with as I desire, with additional un-enrolled weeks to enjoy.
That's far more than I could need or use.
I'm well familiar and versed in "all things points". I've been around for 20 years and I've seen it all.
I like the points, don't get me wrong, and use them happily, but for a young family I don't recommend that they invest $30,000+ in a few points that will disappoint if their desires are along the lines of mine ----if so they'll be vastly disappointed in how they'll have to compromise.
Playing the game as you are talking about is fine.....it works for you, and I do it too. We use points every year in one way or another,
but for true quality AND quantity time in a fantastic spot, according to my definition of "nice",
your "1260 points" just won't get it (and won't for anyone else), nor do 1500 or 1800 or 2000.
I agree with Dean above---- that amount of points alone is far too limiting.

For what we like, it normally costs 3500-5000 points for a week.
So what does that purchase of trust points cost, and what does it get you?
$55,000-60,000 for a week's vacation, plus mfs? and yep, one week.
If someone wants those types of experiences, what do you advise?

IMHO, studying the Points Chart speaks volumes for anyone contemplating a points purchase.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by your travel.... You own 10 Marriott weeks, but, you also mention your precious time off, implying you work? That's a heckava lot of time off!? That's great if you can swing that.

I do understand you have a very narrow view of what is "nice", can certainly understand that and you're not alone. Far too limiting to me, but to each his own. It's a little elitist to describe anywhere else as skimping, but ok it does illustrate what you were wanting to say. The weeks you mentioned are meh for me. But we all vacation differently. I bought trust points, and would do it all over again without question. There are dozens of advantages over weeks, just as there are advantages to weeks over points. That being said, your view of the world of travel is correct given your parameters, you will not get your very specific weeks for tiny amounts of points, that is a specific use where weeks shine if they are at that location. I agree with you on that point. But that's not what the OP asked the way I read it at least, the subject says:

"is that enough to go anywhere" and the answer is yes, it is more than enough to go places, and not all shoulder seasons. As pointed out earlier by another, one can easily supplement those points withouts any ongoing costs or upfront costs, nothing like the numbers you quoted. One gets into II also as part of the cost. Which means getaways. Yes, if you take the question to mean anywhere as in any resort in the world, no, it isn't, but neither is a week.

We really dislike weeks, too limiting, no desire to vacation multiples of 7 and too inflexible amongst many other reasons. However, weeks paired with points is better as it provides more value and allows value paired with flexibility. The use of points is not to replace the precise traditional use of weeks. When I was just in Newport Coast, given it was not a "week", it was not even possible with weeks system unless I just gave up the extra days I suppose. And many do not like or enjoy (but I do) the game of II trading if you have followed the II hatred threads. One week does not give you much flexibility without getting into the trade game. But it may be more than sufficient if one likes to go to the same place all the time.

"Studying the points chart" implied that's the be all end all and it simply isn't. It is a view of people trying to compare weeks to points, which is only 1 of numerous things to compare. Weeks most certainly do not work for everybody (in isolation). I understand they are the traditional method most are familiar with. There are many definitions of value as well, not just monetary, something cheaper is only good if you can use it and it meets your needs. And I can certainly understand your point and do not reject your point for you and likely many if not most others. But definitely not everyone.

I am happy to hear you are enjoying your 10 Marriott weeks and with that many weeks, you do indeed have a lot of flexibility on where you might go. But you must admit given what you have, it's super expensive in ongoing costs too far out of range for most people. Younger families have to ask themselves many many questions, do they really want to go to the same place every year, what if their needs or desires change? Are they up to the II trading game? What if they want or need to stay less or more days? What if they want more weeks this year? etc. None of it is easy and we certainly have almost zero info to correctly answer the implied OP questions. And we are discussing one vacation, whether points or weeks given the purchase. Not an inventory of weeks. It is a tough call, and likely one will get many different opinions. Heck, ask this over on redweek forums and they will tell you to run away completely from anything, weeks or points, resale or not.

The answer to the question is yes, the OPs sister can use them. Are they worthwhile, only she can answer based on what she thinks she wants today. Was she most likely misled with outrageous things she could do with her points? Absolutely!

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Steve, I really appreciate your dialogue......not to mention all your TUG posts over time as I've told you before.
You don't know me so I'll explain a bit as to what we do with our timeshares (combination of developer purchases and resales).
My point about the Points Chart was strictly a reaction to folks who emerge from a presentation stating that they just bought "X" number of points (say 1500-2000) and are ecstatic, but are then having second thoughts after a few sleepless nights, and turn to TUG for advice. The story is the same....everyone on TUG responds and says "RESCIND and take time to learn, then decide". If only the people who bought those points had taken the time to see from the charts that they could not do very much with that low number of points, then they'd be mortified. They come from their purchase believing they can "go anywhere at any time", which is far from the truth.
That's why I think it very important for them, at that moment, to study the charts.

For those like you and me, studying the charts serves a different purpose-----we can study the charts and plot better ways to use the points, supplementing too, as you say, in various ways to enhance our time, like Getaways, etc., etc.
But those are two entirely different scenarios---one a naive would-be traveler who is just starting out, and two, experienced travelers who already understand the system but tweak it for benefit.

Since you were "confused by my travel", I'll clarify how we personally as a family have utilized our 10 weeks over the past years.
Yes, we do indeed return to Hilton Head often, and our kids literally grew up having annual beach weeks, which we enjoyed immensely.
They relied on those coming every so often.
They cherished those times, and my wife and I did too. It was a given that we'd be going back every year, but it was by choice....
and our kids took friends along.....all the better.
At the same time we traded some weeks ------for ski weeks, going to Park City 6 years running while they were of an appropriate age.....they learned to ski and we all had great times there, priceless times. We also traded for California, Hawaii, Orlando,
and many more places. We traded for several European destinations too----England one year for 17 nights (timeshare and free hotels on Rewards Points), Scotland the next year for 14 nights (timeshare and free hotel nights again).

Always with our children, we visited the Caribbean, Bahamas, and more, so it's always been a mixture of new places and
also the "set-in-stone" beach vacations. We like both. To be honest, we travel to non-timeshare destinations as much as we use timeshares----
every year a few mountain trips like to Asheville NC where we adore (I've spoken of Grove Park Inn here many times),
to Gatlinburg TN renting cabins, and to Highlands NC at Old Edwards Inn, to mention a few examples.
Also to Washington DC (awesome experience for the kids as they saw EVERYTHING), NYC twice (both times the week before Christmas,
again, so memorable), to Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco/Carmel/Monterey, New Orleans, all over Florida besides Orlando, and more.

As for the "excess" of owning 10 weeks and how I manage that, I do not always accompany my family for the duration of those weeks if they're close by at Hilton Head (we're only 2.5 hours away), but instead I commute and stay the long weekends. I also occasionally give away a couple of those weeks to my children...they're now 29 and 31, a daughter who is a dentist and a son who is an attorney,
and they appreciate it. It is difficult to use all that time we have.
Bottom line, I take very little of that entire time off myself....and I assure you, the time I do take off is indeed precious.
Yes, I work full time and have zero plans to retire. I don't want to. I'm a dentist in private practice and I have obligations
which I happen to love, so my plan each year suits me perfectly.
You'd be shocked to know I only take one full week off per year, and that's the truth. I do take several long weekends.
My wife and I are obviously empty nesters, so we travel ourselves in a far different way than we used to, but what we own
can be used in a fluid manner as well, ever changing as we go, and we are in no way bound by "weeks".

To say of us regarding weeks, "it may be more than sufficient if one likes to go to the same place all the time" does not exactly
describe us at all, excepting the month of June at Grande Ocean, but that is something we'd not wish to give up just yet.
I hope the explanations herein dispel that notion. Plus for me to take away those weeks in June would mean instant death for me....
just ask my wife.
She's there with family, our children coming and going, her best girlfriend coming and going, and a week of a "girl trip" involving 5 or 6 of her best friends....and then there's me on long weekends. This too is only for the immediate few years as it will change again I'm sure, but for now it's awesome.

We just returned from 10 nights in Italy in October, traveled with another couple, and it was amazing.
The reason I mention it is because 3 timeshare rental weeks actually funded the trip, so that's another way it can be done.
Another couple of rentals can also fund some maintenance fees (I've done that a couple of times),
so that again frees us up to use the extra cash. (Our weeks do quite well for that.)
I'd venture to say that a chunk of what we own, say for example a random grab of a $50,000 portion of weeks,
performs better for me than a $50,000 portion of points does for someone else.
Weeks can be used creatively too, in lieu of mere stays.

Forgot to mention, but we also own 6 additional non-Marriott timeshare weeks.....Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, and Charleston SC.
Many of those I give to my staff members annually. They can't afford full-week beach stays in condos so they are literally ecstatic to take their families to the beach, and it gives me great joy to be able to share that with them.
One staff member is headed to Grande Vista with her family (and a best friend for her daughter, both aged 9), and they can't wait.
We also give time to other friends annually who do a lot for us.
One friend with 3 kids ages 7 to 13 goes to Lakeshore Reserve each year, and would otherwise do nothing.

You and I definitely do it differently, but yet we both enjoy the ways we do it.... Perfect.
There are many timeshare systems (just scan the TUG list), and within those systems there are dozens of ways owners utilize their time. Nobody has a lock on the perfect way, and that's the beauty of it all.
For us, timeshares comprise only a portion of our travel, and yet we still love it for all it's brought to our family in years past,
and for what it's yet to bring. We have so many options.
Some day soon we may choose to turn in all our enrolled weeks in a given year for the annual 18,000 DC points
and get really creative, so I think we're OK.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify one thing, I was not saying of you JME "it may be more than sufficient if one likes to go to the same place all the time". That sentence followed right after a comment about purchasing a single week instead of points, as many have suggested. So, I was speaking of the OP (sister) buying a single week instead of points. And a single week, unless one wants to go there every year, means more fees like II, the trading game, etc. But she may want the same place, who knows.

I was curious how you could possibly use 10 weeks, while you owed me no explanation it is interesting so thanks for answering! I always like to know how people use things as sometimes, it may apply to me and I could perhaps do something better.

The more important item was the OPs sister, i.e., a single week vs say the points in question. Most everyone on TUG will always say rescind any developer purchase. Though, we don't know for sure in this case if it was developer or resale.

It is very kind of you to dish out some of your weeks to employees, that speaks volumes!

Reactions: jme

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I was looking at the point chart and saw this for a 2/2 OV Waiohai Beach Club:

Jan 31 – Feb 13
Feb 21 – Mar 26
Jun 5 – Jul 2
Jul 10 – Aug 27
Fri – Sat 925 1,125
Sun – Thu 600 725
Full Week 4,850 5,875

So if we had points and wanted a full week on a date listed, an IV would be 4,850 points and an OV 5,875 points. What is the MF per point? Currently a Waiohai week’s MF is around $2200.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify one thing, I was not saying of you JME "it may be more than sufficient if one likes to go to the same place all the time". That sentence followed right after a comment about purchasing a single week instead of points, as many have suggested. So, I was speaking of the OP (sister) buying a single week instead of points. And a single week, unless one wants to go there every year, means more fees like II, the trading game, etc. But she may want the same place, who knows.

I was curious how you could possibly use 10 weeks, while you owed me no explanation it is interesting so thanks for answering! I always like to know how people use things as sometimes, it may apply to me and I could perhaps do something better.

The more important item was the OPs sister, i.e., a single week vs say the points in question. Most everyone on TUG will always say rescind any developer purchase. Though, we don't know for sure in this case if it was developer or resale.

It is very kind of you to dish out some of your weeks to employees, that speaks volumes!
I own more than 10 weeks (some enrolled, some not, small amount of trust its), work full time plus Bluegreen and DVC. I've purposefully positioned myself for retirement but I use most of my time now, immediate family uses some and I rent minimally. I've got 10 concurrent weeks at HH this summer for a family trip and will do the same next year. We do a larger family trip most years where I cover the accommodations. My way of giving back and getting people together. I couldn't do this on cash.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I own more than 10 weeks (some enrolled, some not, small amount of trust its), work full time plus Bluegreen and DVC. I've purposefully positioned myself for retirement but I use most of my time now, immediate family uses some and I rent minimally. I've got 10 concurrent weeks at HH this summer for a family trip and will do the same next year. We do a larger family trip most years where I cover the accommodations. My way of giving back and getting people together. I couldn't do this on cash.

Dean, you ARE my hero for the amazing family trips you have planned!!! That is not so easy to pull off.
I hope the weather is pristine for both stays, and they're everything you're hoping they will be, as I'm sure they will be.
Wow.