• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

General Availability Question

uiucguy81

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New member, but longtime lurker. Not currently an owner anywhere. I am considering acquiring a resale Sheraton Vistana Villages, Key West, 44,000 star options. I am frankly buying this to get maximum points to exchange into other places such as Atlantis, Lagunamar, Kierland, etc. I am satisfied with the cost (or lack thereof) to acquire at this property and package.

I have a few questions. I have read through some threads and FAQ and really thank you in advance for my follow up questions. Firstly, how would you characterize likelihood to get a reservation at six to eight months prior to checkin at these resorts? We don't travel around Christmas/New Years, but rather, long weekend trips, spring break, fall break, etc. Am I being naive to think availability is good with some optionality, or is availability severely limited? Do many of the deeded week owners scoop up all the availability? Do I need to be on the reservation website at 8mo + 1 day prior to check in?

Thanks again in advance.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Hi everyone. New member, but longtime lurker. Not currently an owner anywhere. I am considering acquiring a resale Sheraton Vistana Villages, Key West, 44,000 star options. I am frankly buying this to get maximum points to exchange into other places such as Atlantis, Lagunamar, Kierland, etc. I am satisfied with the cost (or lack thereof) to acquire at this property and package.

I have a few questions. I have read through some threads and FAQ and really thank you in advance for my follow up questions. Firstly, how would you characterize likelihood to get a reservation at six to eight months prior to checkin at these resorts? We don't travel around Christmas/New Years, but rather, long weekend trips, spring break, fall break, etc. Am I being naive to think availability is good with some optionality, or is availability severely limited? Do many of the deeded week owners scoop up all the availability? Do I need to be on the reservation website at 8mo + 1 day prior to check in?

Thanks again in advance.
81,000 star options resale should be your goal, this will get you a one bedroom in high season, in most Vistana Resorts and a 2 bedroom at some other resorts. Study the Vistana Star Options chart, see what resorts you want to go to and see what 44,000 SO will get you in various seasons, Fall travel to Atlantis will be the easiest season to book, You must book exactly 8 months out to have a shot in the summer or wintertime, with perseverance you can get in there. I am not familiar with the other properties you mentioned.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I agree with 81000 being minimum to buy. We started with 1 timeshare thought it would be plenty . We are now waiting on ROFR for our 4th . You get addicted and always need more points.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I agree with the 81,000. I picked up 81k for next to nothing ($100). That gets us 2 gold season partial weeks in a 1br.

I’ve booked 6 nights at Lagunamar and 5 nights at Harborside for this year but both were at 8 months.

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
I have never had an issue getting into Lagunamar on SOs at 8 months out. In my experience, Harborside is a bit more difficult but not impossible - went there a few weeks ago for the first time and only booked 3 months out.

Never been to WKV, but imagine it is difficult during the baseball spring training season. St John has been impossible - even before the hurricanes.

I have always found something that fits my timing - especially booking 8 months out. It may not have been my first choice, but there is availability within the network.

uiucguy81

Reaction score
Thank you all. Sounds like 81k annual points should be our goal.

jordathyspg

Reaction score
WKV was booked up for the last 2 weeks of March this year prior to the 8 month window opening. We just got back from the resort and can confirm it was at or very near 100% capacity. With that said it was busy but never felt uncomfortably crowded.

We are going to try booking on SO for late fall in one of the Maui resorts for 2020 and probably HRA for 2021. Sounds doable if we are on it at 8 months out.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
WKV was booked up for the last 2 weeks of March this year prior to the 8 month window opening. We just got back from the resort and can confirm it was at or very near 100% capacity. With that said it was busy but never felt uncomfortably crowded.

We are going to try booking on SO for late fall in one of the Maui resorts for 2020 and probably HRA for 2021. Sounds doable if we are on it at 8 months out.
We always book KORV for the first week of October with SO, and have never had any problems. Happy travels to you! CJ

blondietink

Reaction score
We have stayed at WKORV-N twice now in late Sept. and early Oct. and have not had a problem booking. We have a reservation at Harborside at the end of April this year that was pretty easy to get. We also stayed there one September with no issues booking. Lagunamar is easy most any time, but that might change when/if Marriott owners get any preference in booking. Florida resorts have been very easy even just a few days before you want to stay.

uiucguy81

Reaction score
Quick update. I've been racking up the hours looking at online listings. Any screaming deals out there? Please email me, would really appreciate it. levraiphilosophe@gmail.com

Last edited: