• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Walking Reservation Across Calendar Year

jyt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello HGVC pros,

I want to book a 1 week Hawaii stay Tue 12/31/19 to Tue 1/7/2020 using a mix of 2019 and 2020 points.

I'm going to "save" my remaining 2019 points to 2020 before I start any of this.

Question:
1) Do I start booking a 3-night stay 12/31/19 to 1/3 then walk forward the reservation?
2) Or, Can I start a 3-night stay 12/28 and walk it forward to span 12/31 to 1/7, assuming I have both saved 2019 points and actual 2020 points? Has anyone done this?
3) Can Reservations be changed to use less points now (assuming not within 30 day cancellation window) ?

Thank you!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've never walked a reservation, but I'd expect either method would work. Other more expert posters can answer that.

Reservations can be changed to use less points w/o penalty MT 30 days out. Within 30 days, if there's time in the calendar year, you can move the booking to MT 30 days out (changing resort if necessary) to avoid the penalty, and then move it back -- but you risk losing the original time slot.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last time I tried walking a reservation across calendar years (2018-2019), the system wouldn't let me. I could only walk it up until a 12/31 checkout. It did allow me to book a reservation that crossed calendar years (12/28/18 - 01/03/19), but I could not change/walk the the initial booking I made online. I would have had to call it in.

If it's a resort that's difficult to book, I suggest the OP walk the reservation online through 12/31 and then walk it by calling the remaining days in. I'm just not certain from which year the points will be pulled. When I did the initial booking of a 12/28/18 - 01/03/19 reservation online, it pulled all the points from 2018 since I had them available.

Used to be possible to book and modify online reservations across calendar years in Revolution. Not sure if it's a bug or a limitation in the new booking engine.

jestme

Reaction score
Also be aware that Xmas and New years weeks in Hawaii were sold as "event weeks". They typically do not come available at the 9 month mark as the owners of those weeks actually have to cancell them to make them available for a "club season" booking.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can walk it across calendar year.

I know if i booked Dec. 2019 with 2019 points, it would not let me walk it to 2020. I called in and was basically told that it's always been that way and that I'd have to cancel the booking and re-book or some weird thing like that.

I'm not sure if it worked with borrowed points (ie, you were pulling 2020 points to do the dec. 2019 booking to walk into 2020)

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am going to find out because I am currently walking a vacation for the week of New Years. Guess I will cross the yearly divide when I get to it if I can or find another workaround. By the time my walk gets there, I will just be adding on days at the end — maybe that works in my favor?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You can't it will not work ONLINE. What you can do and what I did was call the reservation line and they will make two separate reservations for you. You can't use 2019 points for the 2020 piece, so if you want to I suggest you pay to save 2019 points first and then use them.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You can't use 2019 points for the 2020 piece, so if you want to I suggest you pay to save 2019 points first and then use them.
The OP stated that they were going to save their 2019 points first before trying to make the reservation.

Kurt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Also be aware that Xmas and New years weeks in Hawaii were sold as "event weeks". They typically do not come available at the 9 month mark as the owners of those weeks actually have to cancell them to make them available for a "club season" booking.

Event weeks can be released at anytime. There might be limited availability and unit sizes/types at the 9 month mark for event weeks but there are some units available.

If you take a look at availability today you can tell folks are walking their reservation in all locations (Lagoon Tower, Kalia Tower, Grand Waikikian Tower, Kings’ Lands, Kohala Suites, Bay Club and Ocean Tower). XMAS and/or NYE week is actually still available in some unit types :cool:

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can walk it across calendar year.

I know if i booked Dec. 2019 with 2019 points, it would not let me walk it to 2020. I called in and was basically told that it's always been that way and that I'd have to cancel the booking and re-book or some weird thing like that.

This part makes sense to me and I would not expect this to work as you'd., effectively, be saving the points into 2020 do this without doing explicitly.

Cheers.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Well, it hit me. Just tried to add new year's eve to my existing reservation while walking it. "Invalid reservation change." The date is blocked for several days before, so hopefully I can get my next two days added on (still available) when I call customer service first thing on Monday.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called in to customer service this morning to keep walking (adding to the end of my reservation period) for my new year’s week reservation at McAlpin Ocean Plaza. The Rep added on the nights of 12/31 and 1/1. To my surprise, the points came out of my 2019 bucket instead of the 2020 bucket. Just surprised me, doesn’t really matter to me.

chrono88

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience, as long as the reservation starts in a particular year (eg 2019), then the points can come out of that year (2019), even if checkout is in the following year (2020). This has been the case for us for the last few years that we have been making new years reservations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk