• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

University of California's Break With the Biggest Academic Publisher Could Shake Up Scholarly....

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
University of California's Break With the Biggest Academic Publisher Could Shake Up Scholarly Publishing For Good
By MacKenzie Smith/ Science/ Technology/ The Conversation/ theconversation.com

"The University of California recently made international headlines when it canceled its subscription with scientific journal publisher Elsevier. The twittersphere lit up. And Elsevier’s parent company, RELX, saw its stock drop 7 percent in response to the announcement.

A library canceling a subscription seems like a simple, everyday business decision, so what’s the big deal?

It was not just the clash-of-the-titans drama between the University of California, whose scholars produce nearly 10 percent of the nation’s research publications, and Elsevier, the world’s largest publisher of academic research.

The story made headlines because it’s symptomatic of the way in which the internet has failed to deliver on the promise to make knowledge easily accessible and shareable by anyone, anywhere in the world. The UC-Elsevier showdown was the latest in a succession of cracks in what is widely considered to be a failing system for sharing academic research. As the head of the research library at UC Davis, I see this development as a harbinger of a tectonic shift in how universities and their faculty share research, build reputations and preserve knowledge in the digital age.

file-20190306-100796-1cwusvb.jpg

Accessing a journal no longer means going to a periodicals room. Newton W. Elwell/Boston Public Library/Flickr, CC BY

Richard

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How timely.

I recently prepared a technical paper on some work that I am doing that I any my colleagues would like to submit to a refereed journal for publication - one of the Elsevier journals. The work has substantial practical implications.

I haven't published in a refereed publication for over 35 years. To my great surprise, I learned that we need to pay them on the order of $1000/page to have our work published. After that, an abstract will be available, but anyone who actually wants a copy of the paper will need to pay Elsevier whatever their fee is (cost me $40 for the last technical paper I purchased from them.) And I have to surrender all rights to my work, so I can't distribute copies myself.

I hadn't realized how broken the system had become. Hooray for Cal!

Last edited: