• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you think the average annual income for DVC owners is?

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know when in February you went to WDW but the crowds around Presidents' Week are third only to those around Easter and Christmas/New Years. For better or worse, it's the calendar we've been stuck with for the past decade or so...
I think we're just seeing the beginning of this. The introduction of dated tickets really was a 'soft open' - more of a testing of Disney's systems than of what tiered pricing can do. DVC rooms are about twice as expensive in peak season over low - I could easily see the prices for prime weeks like Easter and Christmas skyrocket while low season rates remain steady (or even slightly decline w/4 day packages) to capture 'value' focused visitors.

We went 8-15 of February and the crowds was much worse than May or September. Talked to the front desk and they told me they were sold out (SSR)

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
While that is true, you don't have to go the parks while staying on-site, I would say that is negating the reasons to have DVC for the stay. If I was not going to the parks, I would just rent out my DVC points (if I had any [LOL], just passed ROFR today on my first DVC contact at Aulani, so waiting for estoppel and closing now). To me, there are also very other nice places to stay for a much cheaper price than what the stay would cost in Maintenance Fees for the points required to be onsite at a DVC Resort, and not go the parks. I love the Marriott's Timeshare Resorts as well and often they go for less than $500 cash for a 2-bedrooms unit as getaways on II, and as DVC commands a rental premium that no other timeshare seems to fetch, especially in Orlando, it represent the best value to me: Stay at DVC when going to the parks, else stay offsite, and rent the DVC points.

Of course, to each his own, everyone decide what works best for them. But since reading your postings on TUGBBS back when you were looking to purchase HGVC about the same time I was looking to get into HGVC, you strike me as the kind of person that analyzed everything and look to squeeze out the most value where you can just like me. It just struck me as funny how your postings and your thinking is just how I usually think also!!! You are just a lot further along than me in the timeshare world purchasing DVC in addition to HGVC.

Great3

You could also argue why pay a premium to stay at a resort that you are only sleeping in and not utilizing all it have to offer. Hands down all of my DVC stays have also included parks visits. Even in 2020 I might squeeze in 1-2 days of park visits, at least for my daughter and I. Wife might go shopping while we do the parks, Win win :)

I'd really like to see the new SWGE but I expect to see either a phase 3 or 4 closure during some of the days in September because of the crowds. Thats not my kind of fun - so in stead of staying at AKV Club level as we should have done this September we are staying at HGVC Tuscany + a few days at Disney Vero Beach and rented out our DVC reservation. It actually took less than 2min to rent after my posting.

Congrats on the Aulani contract and welcome to the DVC family - Did you get a subsidized or "regular" contract?

Spot on the description of me :D Wife sometimes believe that i'm over analyzing things but so far she haven't complained. As the saying goes: Happy wife, Happy Life :p

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
It certainly does devalue using DVC points to stay on property but there is still value there. Staying on property but not going to the parks still offers certain options/advantages. If one has other good options, using DVC for say Universal or Sea World stays and the main plan is questionable but some do. For us we prefer on property all else equal but we also enjoy staying off property. But then most of my stays are actually on exchanges even though we own DVC.

We uses both DVC points and exchanges to stay onsite - maximizing our value :)

If I was going to universal I might choose to stay onsite at universal and get the perks that comes with that - 1nt gives you perks for two.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We uses both DVC points and exchanges to stay onsite - maximizing our value :)

If I was going to universal I might choose to stay onsite at universal and get the perks that comes with that - 1nt gives you perks for two.
When visiting universal I have rented a "burner" room to get 2 days of unlimited express pass. Cheaper than buying the unlimited express for the 3 of us. And if you can get the annual pass rates, it gets even cheaper. Unlimited express for hotel guests is only available for guests at the deluxe resorts of Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel and Royal Pacific Resort.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
When visiting universal I have rented a "burner" room to get 2 days of unlimited express pass. Cheaper than buying the unlimited express for the 3 of us. And if you can get the annual pass rates, it gets even cheaper. Unlimited express for hotel guests is only available for guests at the deluxe resorts of Portofino Bay, Hard Rock Hotel and Royal Pacific Resort.

Good idea with the throw-away-room haven't thought about that. :thumbup:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I've seen people do that with DVC as well. Stay off property, get a room for a night for 2 days pool access and siesta and not uncommonly, get a dining plan option to cover 2 days as well.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could also argue why pay a premium to stay at a resort that you are only sleeping in and not utilizing all it have to offer. Hands down all of my DVC stays have also included parks visits. Even in 2020 I might squeeze in 1-2 days of park visits, at least for my daughter and I. Wife might go shopping while we do the parks, Win win :)

I'd really like to see the new SWGE but I expect to see either a phase 3 or 4 closure during some of the days in September because of the crowds. Thats not my kind of fun - so in stead of staying at AKV Club level as we should have done this September we are staying at HGVC Tuscany + a few days at Disney Vero Beach and rented out our DVC reservation. It actually took less than 2min to rent after my posting.

Congrats on the Aulani contract and welcome to the DVC family - Did you get a subsidized or "regular" contract?

Spot on the description of me :D Wife sometimes believe that i'm over analyzing things but so far she haven't complained. As the saying goes: Happy wife, Happy Life :p

That's funny, I had a discussion with a friend the other day about DVC, and one of the point was wanting to stay at a really nice DVC villa that you aren't really using because you are the parks all day long from roping dropping in the morning to park closing, and just coming back to sleep only, and not really using the resort at all (not even close to it's full potential). So, your other argument is right, if you don't go the parks, you are getting maximum value out of the resort / amenities, I can see both sides of the argument. At the end, to me the benefits associated with going to parks for having a DVC room outweigh the resort itself. I just find the Marriott's in Orlando to be nicer and more to my liking than DVC resorts. While I like DVC, I am not a gotta have DVC type of fan. My wife, on the other hand, adores all things Disney, so I just got along with it because I just want to make her happy :), hence we end up with a DVC contract, only comprising on Aulani instead of at WDW.

I bought a subsidized contract, I would never consider a "regular" contract, MF's too high, I would have rather purchase a WDW home resort if there wasn't such as thing as subsidized Aulani contract.

Great3

mj2vacation

Reaction score
You would probably be amazed at the range of income in dvc owners. the ability to purchase smaller memberships opened up access to many more people.

CK2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-SSR
My mom purchased DVC resale back in 2007-2008ish as a single mom/school teacher. I was in high school at the time, and we already had about 7-8 trips in to Disney. Said she wish she would've looked into it sooner.
She had her house paid off and was able to pay cash for it. We use it and get a lot of value out of it. We don't do the parks all the time and enjoy spending a lot of time at the resort. She feels good about her purchase because we enjoy the vacation. It's also nice to know that she could sell it now for more than she paid 12 years ago which is crazy for a timeshare!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I would think it’s similar to MVC - about $155k/yr household income.

Attachments

• 2F0CCB6D-0BA5-4925-A78D-B8FC50A3B4AD.png
    2F0CCB6D-0BA5-4925-A78D-B8FC50A3B4AD.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 50

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We did not buy in to DVC until we were in our late 40's and paid $84 per point. Mortgage paid off. Husband was at the top step of his teaching career money wise. We saved a lot of our earned income over the years, We Live a frugal life anyway, very frugal. Our house is an old farmhouse and is nothing fancy. We have 2 adult children with disabilities that live at home. We don't buy fancy cars and drive them into the ground with over 150,000 miles on them. We don't buy coffee out and rarely eat out. We live in a high tax state (NY), but are able to make it work. I would say that you are too young to have saved up enough to buy into DVC. My advice would be to save your money for other things and cut out the fluff stuff.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying on property is a different kettle of fish - my mind boggles whenever I look at the prices Disney currently wants for a hotel room much less for a 1 or 2BR villa. It never occurred to me that a 'normal' person would or could ever stay at the Contemporary Hotel back then....

I'm going back 35-40 years with this but my wife and I and our 3 kids bought a package from Disney that included something like 5 days at the Contemporary, Park Admission and a number of special events including Breakfast With Minnie and Mickey. My recollection is that it was expensive but not anywhere near as outrageous as today's prices...

George