• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kaanapali - things to know?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
HKB is the nicest TS on Maui. It has a relatively small number of units. It will eventually be sold out. Most owners are going to either use their year or rent. It's already somewhat challenging to get; it's only going to get more challenging. We love it there, and may eventually buy a resale unit there. The problem for us is we don't live near the west coast, so it's a long way. It's an easy drive to Orange Beach, AL, that has gorgeous white sand beaches.
Do you mind me asking why you consider the Hyatt Ka’anapali the nicest TS on Maui? I ask because we are trying to decide where/what to buy. Thanks!

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mind me asking why you consider the Hyatt Ka’anapali the nicest TS on Maui? I ask because we are trying to decide where/what to buy. Thanks!

It's very new, which is nice. The rooms are enormous and everything is well-appointed. I'd say the key fact, though, is that it's set up that all the 2 & 3 bedroom units have ocean view. And it's not some 'partial view' gimmick, where you have to lean out the bathroom window to see the ocean; every single balcony has head-on, full-frontal, sipping-morning-coffee, listening-to-the-waves-crash, Molokai-and-Lanai-hulking-in-the-distance-through-the-mists ocean view. I played a game with my daughter where we counted how many whales we could see over breakfast. The lowest we ever counted was 5.

Also, the fact that it's attached to the Hyatt Regency is nice for my kid. Once she gets bored of our pool, we can head next door and avail ourselves of the hotel waterslide.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
It's very new, which is nice. The rooms are enormous and everything is well-appointed. I'd say the key fact, though, is that it's set up that all the 2 & 3 bedroom units have ocean view. And it's not some 'partial view' gimmick, where you have to lean out the bathroom window to see the ocean; every single balcony has head-on, full-frontal, sipping-morning-coffee, listening-to-the-waves-crash, Molokai-and-Lanai-hulking-in-the-distance-through-the-mists ocean view. I played a game with my daughter where we counted how many whales we could see over breakfast. The lowest we ever counted was 5.

Also, the fact that it's attached to the Hyatt Regency is nice for my kid. Once she gets bored of our pool, we can head next door and avail ourselves of the hotel waterslide.
Thanks! Is HKB walkable to Whalers Village? Do you know if there is a kids club (like Camp Armadillo) or lazy river like at HWOR?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
HKB is a ten minute walk to Whalers Village.

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's definitely walkable to Whalers Village, we walked down to Hula Grill and back one evening. It's a good 15 mins at least, especially if you're walking leisurely, but you go along is a sidewalk that runs behind the beach (right in front of the HKB, Westin, Marriott, etc - they're all connected by this sidewalk) so it's a vey enjoyable walk. No lazy river (in fact the pool itself isn't that great; the downside of being oceanfront is that the resort grounds themselves are comparatively small). I believe there is a kids club for 5 and up (probably run by Camp Hyatt in the adjacent Hyatt Regency); my kid isn't 5 yet so we didn't pay too much attention.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. We are trying to decide between WKORV, MOC and HKB. We have decided we want to be able to walk to Whalers Village. We also want a nice beach and a nice 2BR with a large Lanai facing the ocean. Hard to decide...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's definitely walkable to Whalers Village, we walked down to Hula Grill and back one evening. It's a good 15 mins at least, especially if you're walking leisurely, but you go along is a sidewalk that runs behind the beach (right in front of the HKB, Westin, Marriott, etc - they're all connected by this sidewalk) so it's a vey enjoyable walk. No lazy river (in fact the pool itself isn't that great; the downside of being oceanfront is that the resort grounds themselves are comparatively small). I believe there is a kids club for 5 and up (probably run by Camp Hyatt in the adjacent Hyatt Regency); my kid isn't 5 yet so we didn't pay too much attention.
Is there a bar/restaurant near the pool?

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a bar/restaurant near the pool?

There's a little bar, that looks like a grass hut with a few tables and barstools. It serves standard bar fare (burgers & fries). They also have servers that cover the deck chairs & cabanas too. The drinks come from the bar, but the actual kitchen is over in the Hyatt Regency, I believe.

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a little bar, that looks like a grass hut with a few tables and barstools. It serves standard bar fare (burgers & fries). They also have servers that cover the deck chairs & cabanas too. The drinks come from the bar, but the actual kitchen is over in the Hyatt Regency, I believe.

There is no restaurant proper in HKB. You go over to the Hyatt Regency (which, to be fair, has several restaurants) or walk down to Whaler's village.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no restaurant proper in HKB. You go over to the Hyatt Regency (which, to be fair, has several restaurants) or walk down to Whaler's village.
Thanks!

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks. We are trying to decide between WKORV, MOC and HKB. We have decided we want to be able to walk to Whalers Village. We also want a nice beach and a nice 2BR with a large Lanai facing the ocean. Hard to decide...

No bad choices here. MOC and HKB are about five and ten minutes from Whalers Village respectively; WKORV/N is about 30 minutes (WKORV/N has a shuttle, but it is tedious). Nanea is about five minutes further than WKORV/N (same tedious shuttle).

All have very nice two bedroom units with lanais. All have full kitchens (except the original phase of MOC).

Ka'anapali Beach is a wonderful place.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No bad choices here. MOC and HKB are about five and ten minutes from Whalers Village respectively; WKORV/N is about 30 minutes (WKORV/N has a shuttle, but it is tedious). Nanea is about five minutes further than WKORV/N (same tedious shuttle).

All have very nice two bedroom units with lanais. All have full kitchens (except the original phase of MOC).

Ka'anapali Beach is a wonderful place.
Thanks!!

taffy19

Reaction score
HKB has the largest Lanais from all the choices mentioned. If that is important to you and I believe it is.

Personally, I like the oceanfront views better from the Marriott next door but the Lanais are too cramped, IMO. This is in the two new towers but the Molokai and Lanai older buildings have larger balconies and the Marriott timeshare condos can see both islands (Molokai and Lanai). The HKB can only see Lanai in the 1 and 2 BR condos because the Marriott Lahaina tower blocks the view of Molokai. I don't remember if they can see Molokai from the 3 BR condos?

The beach is wider in front of the Marriott and especially in front of the Napili tower. The distance to Whaler Village is about the same if you stay at the Hyatt next to the Lahaina tower but the Napili tower is closer so makes a few minutes difference.

Parking a car there is more of a problem unless you have disabled parking and they do it for you. There is no charge for that except for tipping.

Ka'anapali Beach is a wonderful beach for swimming, surfing and other sports plus they have Catamarans leaving right from the beach (Whalers Village) for snorkeling, whale watching or a sunset cruise.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Having just stayed at both Hyatt 2 bedroom oceanfront and currently an owner at WKORV-North oceanfront in Feb 2019. Here is my observations:
Hyatt rooms are probably the nicest of the two with the large balcony and sliding doors that completely open up. The pool is also very nice at the Hyatt. I prefer the lounge chairs at the Westin as it has cushions where the Hyatt does not.

The WKORV is a more quiet area than where all the resorts are at the Hyatt and Marriott but the WKORV has plently of activities and restraunts and pool bars as well as Dukes down the street. As we rent a car the location is perfect with plenty of parking.

I think one big difference is that the WKORV units lock off so if you want to stay 2 weeks you can lock off the unit and stay 1 week on the studio side (the studios include washer/dryer, 2 place burner stove and full size refrigerator which is unique to Maui) and the next week in the 1 bedroom. The hyatt is dedicated week and are only 2 bedrooms or 1 bedrooms and I believe it is difficult to switch weeks and room sizes if you change your vacation habits. Where the Westin and Marriott for that matter can be locked off (however the studio at marriot does not include a washer/dryer or stove top or full size refrigerator).

You can purchase an oceanfront 2 bedroom lockoff for $24,000 at WKORV-North and it will cost $50,000+ at Hyatt.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Having just stayed at both Hyatt 2 bedroom oceanfront and currently an owner at WKORV-North oceanfront in Feb 2019. Here is my observations:
Hyatt rooms are probably the nicest of the two with the large balcony and sliding doors that completely open up. The pool is also very nice at the Hyatt. I prefer the lounge chairs at the Westin as it has cushions where the Hyatt does not.

The WKORV is a more quiet area than where all the resorts are at the Hyatt and Marriott but the WKORV has plently of activities and restraunts and pool bars as well as Dukes down the street. As we rent a car the location is perfect with plenty of parking.

I think one big difference is that the WKORV units lock off so if you want to stay 2 weeks you can lock off the unit and stay 1 week on the studio side (the studios include washer/dryer, 2 place burner stove and full size refrigerator which is unique to Maui) and the next week in the 1 bedroom. The hyatt is dedicated week and are only 2 bedrooms or 1 bedrooms and I believe it is difficult to switch weeks and room sizes if you change your vacation habits. Where the Westin and Marriott for that matter can be locked off (however the studio at marriot does not include a washer/dryer or stove top or full size refrigerator).

You can purchase an oceanfront 2 bedroom lockoff for $24,000 at WKORV-North and it will cost $50,000+ at Hyatt.
Good points, I agree with most of this. To add pros for Hyatt : activities are free. It bugs me to pay for everyone to do yoga in the morning when we have a group. Also there is always chairs by the pool no matter the time of day and the lanai is huge with a comfy bed and cushioned chairs. I wish I could afford the Hyatt but the numbers even resale don't work and Westin does . While I much prefer Hyatt we still love the Westin and could swing for a 2 bedroom there. We will sit with it for a while. We are at Hyatt now soaking in the beauty!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the great info. We had an offer accepted last week on an EOYO 2/2 OV at the Hyatt Ka’anapali. ROFR paperwork was sent to Hyatt last Wednesday, so we should know by the end of next week if Hyatt honors the 15 day decision period. If they exercise, back to the drawing board!!

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. We had an offer accepted last week on an EOYO 2/2 OV at the Hyatt Ka’anapali. ROFR paperwork was sent to Hyatt last Wednesday, so we should know by the end of next week if Hyatt honors the 15 day decision period. If they exercise, back to the drawing board!!

Please do let us know how the ROFR turns out. Good luck on it!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Good luck.It is my favorite timeshare!! Right now seems a good time for ROFR.