• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did anyone get a really bad cold/flu/bacterial infection this season?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Day care is even better. The average day care worker is out sick close to 20 days the first year. My wife fit that model a long time ago. After a couple years I cannot remember her getting more than 1 cold in 40 yrs.

Agreed. This is why I wrote above that us not getting sick may have been side benefit of being retired. The (hidden) meaning was we are exposed to way less people. Our odds *should* be lower. Doesn't mean we won't get sick, just we have a lesser chance than Daycare workers, teachers, etc.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Well it got me. Started the Thursday before my Monday flight for a 2 week vacation in Roatan. Thought I was better after 1 week, then it came back worse. Had to go to the pharmacy get antibiotics and cough syrup... felt a little better when we left. Luckily really didn;'t feel "sick", so while uncomfortable, I didn;t let it interfere with vacation time much. Just couldn;t go snorkeling/diving at all. Thats 4 1/2 weeks ago and it is still lingering, but much much better.

connect1

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband developed laryngitis while on vacation in Florida in Feb. turned into a sinuse infection for both of us on our trip home and lasted a couple of weeks. We seldom get sick so it was odd. Some sad the pollen from Flrodia oaks was strong at the time we were there...

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It wasn’t the flu (I got a flu shot) but I had a persistent dry cough for about four weeks. It started slowly with me losing my voice for 5 days before before some congestion and worse cough came on. Never had a fever. Years ago the doctor would have given antibiotics but all I got was a prescription for cough medicine, which was the right call because it was clearing up about three days after the doctor visit.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear 24% effectiveness? Cdc report more like 47%:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6806a2.htm

National news at CNN. "The shot's success varies based on your age, the CDC noted. Among children up to 17, its overall effectiveness against flu was 61%, while just 24% of adults 50 and older who received the shot gained protection against infection."

Here is the link to the full story.

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I developed a bit of a stuffy nose the last week of the year and spent New Year's Eve at an urgent care clinic. It had turned into a sinus infection with fever and flaming sore throat. I got antibiotics but it still took a few weeks to completely go away. For a couple of days I had no voice at all.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was in the restroom at Sonny's BBQ today when my phone rang.
It was my Doctor's office... I tested positive for strep throat.
Well, at least the BBQ was good, and antibiotics should help.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Wow, seems lots of winter illness is going around.

After over four weeks I am overall better. Due to my tiredness the doctor took a blood test and due to one low number I had my b12 tested which was low. This explains stuff that was happening prior to being sick as well as the aftermath.

So in a way I am glad I got sick because I now know what is wrong with me. I am 99% vegetarian so that is probably why my b12 got low.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Panina, co sorry you have been battling this bug for awhile... I've had a stomach thing going on for over a month where, my stomach is just constantly upset... I've got a doctor appointment this morning to check on the new blood-pressure meds I got put on. Hopefully they can figure out whats going on...

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before I retired, I lived on a farm and took care of livestock daily whatever the weather, my job was 1/2 time in schools, and 1/2 time in a pediatric office, for 25 years. I never got sick after the first few years of working. The year I retired and moved to FL I was sick on and off for a year. Then I got DX with Rheumatoid Arthritis and put on meds that lower the immune system. Fortunately so far, I have not caught much. I wash my hands a lot.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Before I retired, I lived on a farm and took care of livestock daily whatever the weather, my job was 1/2 time in schools, and 1/2 time in a pediatric office, for 25 years. I never got sick after the first few years of working. The year I retired and moved to FL I was sick on and off for a year. Then I got DX with Rheumatoid Arthritis and put on meds that lower the immune system. Fortunately so far, I have not caught much. I wash my hands a lot.
I rarely get anything and I have no idea why. I was diagnosed with RA in 2011, so I am on immunosupressants and was very worried about getting ill, but so far so good. I too, am a prolific hand washer because I know that my immune system isn't the best because of the medication.

I really feel bad for everyone that has gotten sick this year. There's nothing worse.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Panina, co sorry you have been battling this bug for awhile... I've had a stomach thing going on for over a month where, my stomach is just constantly upset... I've got a doctor appointment this morning to check on the new blood-pressure meds I got put on. Hopefully they can figure out whats going on...
How did the doctor appointment go? If it ends up not being the medicine or a stomach bug consider certain food intolerances such as wheat, gluten, dairy, etc. Hope your better soon.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have mostly been missing in action the last month. The day I came home from my Florida vacation I thought my allergies were acting up. Within a few days I had a cold but it never went to my chest. I had a low grade fever for over a week and my voice was hoarse and I had massive throat drip. I felt extremely tired. I was put on antibiotics and felt better in two day but continued running a low grade fever another week.

The fever stopped, the drip was better, my voice was back and two days later my pulse and pressure were very high and went to the doctor. It came down in 24 hours and the last week it has been good. My personal belief is salt water gargling affected me negatively.

Here it’s 4 weeks since the start of getting sick and still getting bouts of tiredness but better overall. Getting my walking in and napping when I have to. This illness knocked me out. Tomorrow doctors visit for followup.

I know I have been told many are getting sick with similiar sysmtoms, wondering if it’s widespread.

I was very sick in January. Like you thought it was allergies. After 2 weeks I finally went to my DR. Turned out to be a severe sinus infection and an upper respiratory infection. Said if I had waited much longer it could have turned into pneumonia. I was surprised I was this sick because I'm one of those people who never get sick and I had my flu shot and pneumonia shot and booster shot. Antibiotics cleared up the infections but the cough dragged on for another week after Dr gave me RX for cough syrup.

Suzanne