• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations Club

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think they are either going to need a pedestrian bridge or a tunnel because someone is gonna get whacked on that road.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think they are either going to need a pedestrian bridge or a tunnel because someone is gonna get whacked on that road.

I think there was another thread with concerns about local flooding where the resort is going. Not sure a tunnel would work if the flooding threat is real....

But I agree the road is busy enough to be a concern.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Visited the site last week and spoke to 2 locals (one fishing and the other a homeless fellow who uses the old Building 400 as shelter). Both were not excited about the new construction. The fisherman said that Hilton will be improving costal area as well as some well needed park improvements nex door. He did not think his fishing would be affected. The homeless guy said all the activity has been across the street and nobody really bothered him. He said the only activity he had observed on the ocean side was surveyors who ignored him. While I was there heavy equipment was grading and moving (not removing) palm trees. The fisherman who claimed he had a background in constrction, could not understand why they would not use existing cement "base footers" for new buidings. Yes, traffic was terrible when I was there. According to the homeless guy, Hilton will be buiding some type of walkway or will contribute to a control device at the intersection at the property corner. Apparently this was a big concern of the local government.

Harry

Mr Smith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC- Lagoon Tower Platinum 2B Premeire
HGVC - Elara Platinum 1B Grand Plus
Visited the site last week and spoke to 2 locals (one fishing and the other a homeless fellow who uses the old Building 400 as shelter). Both were not excited about the new construction. The fisherman said that Hilton will be improving costal area as well as some well needed park improvements nex door. He did not think his fishing would be affected. The homeless guy said all the activity has been across the street and nobody really bothered him. He said the only activity he had observed on the ocean side was surveyors who ignored him. While I was there heavy equipment was grading and moving (not removing) palm trees. The fisherman who claimed he had a background in constrction, could not understand why they would not use existing cement "base footers" for new buidings. Yes, traffic was terrible when I was there. According to the homeless guy, Hilton will be buiding some type of walkway or will contribute to a control device at the intersection at the property corner. Apparently this was a big concern of the local government.

Harry

I am a general contractor. I don't know what exists there for building footings. However, reusing existing foundations for modern buildings is rarely done. Engineering standards are higher than what was built 15 years ago. For example, the average footing for a basic house where I'm at was 12x12. Haven't had an engineer spec a footing size that small in at least 15 years. To retrofit the footings and hardware (hold downs, anchor bolts, etc) is not cost effective. If there are any layout changes, forget it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I guess the homeless guy will eventually be removed. I am sure he is NOT happy about construction plans long term. LOL. There appears to be plans for a new club house building and pool on the oceanside, at least according to the drawing released.

klowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings' Land
The best the artist could draw is 16 beach chairs on the sand! Looks like it's gonna be tight!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We were just in Kikei. I didn’t look for the construction site but I did go down to the couple of beaches I could find. They were all nice, looked like there was decent snorkeling but they were all pretty busy/crowded.

We’re not really beach people so it wouldn’t be a negative for us but it may be for others. Or maybe I was looking in the wrong area?

Edit: just looked on the map. It’s north of the area I drove

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I went by the site or at least where I think it is located. I snapped a few pics.
BE90B88B-B082-460D-9AC1-C38ACB261DB2.jpeg

7B6F047E-15B2-4B0A-B96F-04D527BCE76E.jpeg

View of construction area
EDBB92AF-A31D-48DA-80D0-1114A3637722.jpeg

View of beach side of road
387AE629-B701-4D0A-B479-F1E38AD7687F.jpeg

View of park next door to property

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The resort does have a stone retaining wall for most of the resort beach front access, however as @GT75 posts the picture above, it is worth noting that Kalepolepo Park next door, does have better sand beach.

But this is also the drainage outlet to the ocean from any upcountry rainfall that has collected, so not sure how that impacts water quality in the area. After a rainfall, there will be sediments in the water at best, but other things at worst.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@Sandy VDH, did I get pictures of the correct area for the new HGVC villas on Maui?

Btw, I observed that road to be very busy while I was there (as others have already stated)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think so @GT75, but I can't read the street sign. That park in your last picture is just to the south of the Location. Obviously the park is not part of the parcel of land, Hilton owns the land just north of this park. They also own the land between the road and the ocean.

I was mentioning it as obviously if you are looking for more Sand beach area, this park is convenient.

There have been many comments about the traffic. They might have to put a cross walk in. Not ideal, but it finally a Maui location, and finally with some plans (again).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
That park in your last picture is just to the south of the Location.

Thanks. Yes. I was actually taking the pictures of the construction site and fenced area on the beach side from the park.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
They might have to put a cross walk in.
There actually is already a cross walk there, but personally I think that they will need a better solution. The drawing to me looks like there is a tunnel under the roadway.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I saw the same site last week when we were on Maui. Lots of bulldozers and earth moving going on then. I'm not a big fan of Kihei when compared to Kaanapali, but I'm sure HGVC will create a great resort. We're at HGVC Kohala Suites on the Big Island this week.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I'm not a big fan of Kihei when compared to Kaanapali
I agree that the Kaanapali area does look like a better area than Kihei area now that I have seen both. I would too book Kaanapalia area if I had that option via either Westin or Marrott. But for me that won’t be an option so I will just have to “make do” with the HGVC Maui Bay Villas location.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Kaanapali area does look like a better area than Kihei area now that I have seen both. I would too book Kaanapalia area if I had that option via either Westin or Marrott. But for me that won’t be an option so I will just have to “make do” with the HGVC Maui Bay Villas location.

Agree as well. While Ka'anapali is definitely heavily touristed, there is a reason...it's a nicer location (and we have stayed at both). Also, the running is better
in the Ka'anapali area...and that's important.

On the flip-side, both Sansei sushi (with the half-price nights) and Maui Brewing Company are n Kihei. Lemonade from lemons.

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I saw the same site last week when we were on Maui. Lots of bulldozers and earth moving going on then. I'm not a big fan of Kihei when compared to Kaanapali, but I'm sure HGVC will create a great resort. We're at HGVC Kohala Suites on the Big Island this week.
Please, stay up in Kaanapali. Kihei is getting too crowded. :)

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
While Ka'anapali is definitely heavily touristed, there is a reason...it's a nicer location (and we have stayed at both).
I have to disagree that Ka'anapali is a nicer location. The resorts alongs Ka'anapali Beach are definitely nicer than those down in Kihei, but the beaches from Kihei down through Makena are far superior to Ka'anapali Beach and the others in West Maui in my opinion. We just got back from an extended week in Kihei because our trade requests didn't come through from the Ka'anapali resorts (every time before this has been at either a Starwood or Marriott property in Ka'anapali). While the resort quality was definitely a few notches below those we've stayed at in Ka'anapali, I think I prefer the variety of beaches in South Maui and the closer proximity to Kahului.

Both locations are great and I'd be happy to stay in either place.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree that Ka'anapali is a nicer location.

It's not really an "agree" or "disagree." It's just different preferences. We've stayed in both locations and we much prefer Ka'anapali. Much better, IMO, for a morning run and strolling. Since we don't hang out at beaches, that matters less.

But, I also agree strongly with the last point :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We hope to enjoy the best of both worlds. Our Kaanapali Westin OF week 1 and Kihei HGVC Maui week 2 (or a few days midweek if the points are sky high). There should be good availability in 2021 when it opens because of unsold inventory. If not, we will revisit the Big Island or Oahu.

Alternatively, if one of our kids cannot join and don't need the 2 bdrm, we will lock-off our Westin and stay another week. $185/night or $1300/week (our MF for lock-off) for oceanfront Kaanapali during prime summer season can't be beat.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Personally, I really do like the Kihei area. The town is charming (although a little funky) and the Wailea beaches are terrific. I do remember the wind kicking up significantly in the afternoon, but I think the Kihei location will be a winner. And as much as I love my Maui Ocean Club weeks, the beach is not that good, and the water is very very rocky, so we look at it, but are rarely in it. I will be curious to visit the Kihei property when it opens.

Best,

Greg

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
There actually is already a cross walk there, but personally I think that they will need a better solution. The drawing to me looks like there is a tunnel under the roadway.

We walk all the time in Honolulu and in accord with the traffic controlled devices cross the streets safely. However, we feel that crosswalks that DON"T have traffic control devices ie Stop Signs, Red lights etc. are just accidents waiting to happen. When drivers are accustomed to driving right thru cross walks everyday and then all of a sudden a pedestrian appears in front of them that is dangerous. Put a Stop Sign or better yet Red Lights with push buttons to control the traffic in a manner that becomes familiar to drivers.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I have to disagree that Ka'anapali is a nicer location. The resorts alongs Ka'anapali Beach are definitely nicer than those down in Kihei, but the beaches from Kihei down through Makena are far superior to Ka'anapali Beach and the others in West Maui in my opinion. We just got back from an extended week in Kihei because our trade requests didn't come through from the Ka'anapali resorts (every time before this has been at either a Starwood or Marriott property in Ka'anapali). While the resort quality was definitely a few notches below those we've stayed at in Ka'anapali, I think I prefer the variety of beaches in South Maui and the closer proximity to Kahului.

That's what's so great about Maui - there is something for every taste. If either area was the best for everyone, it would become so overcrowded. I do agree the Wailea/Makena beaches are better than West Maui, but I'd rather have proximity to Lahaina than Kahului. Nothing there for us but the airport. All of our favorite restaurants, activities, and shops are in Lahaina, Kaanapali, or Kapalua. Once it opens, I would be open to trying the new HGVC, but based on what I've seen of Kihei timeshares just driving by, it would be the only one I would want to sample. In either case, however, Maui No Ka Oi (Maui is the Best).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
There have been some really cool new additions to HGVC and this is most definitely one of them. Very excited to go!