• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kierland owners update - not bad?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
so we just did our owners update and to be honest it doesn’t sound to bad.
This is what we own.

Kierland 148k maintenance $1650
Vistana Villages 81k maintenance $1150

So we didn’t think this owners update is bad and we might take advantage of it, but want to get the forums opinion. Our Kierland will be retro’d in, but that makes no difference. We will be 3 star elite for life, but Marriott might change this.

We would trade in our vistana villages 81k for 81k westin flex. So basically a straight trade.
Maintenance fee increases to $1583 all in including vsn fee.
4 coupons for 270k bonvoy pts for $1875.
Total cost is $12837.

If we don’t use our explorer stay in Orlando, they will also add an additional 225k bonvoy pts.

The reason I see this as not bad, is that we can officially rent out Hawaii or Kierland or anywhere and recoup some of our money if we don’t use. The 4 for 270k certificates aren’t to bad, as we are possibly looking at spending more time in hotels in the upcoming years.

Only thing they said was that, if Marriott ever decided to let owners into Mvc program, it most likely would be owners that bought from the developer and that’s what our purchases would look like now.

Thoughts?

Our course our Kierland property would still be ours and not rolled into the flex.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I fail to see what you would be getting for your $12,837:

If you want to get into the rental business, you can already rent your Kierland unit (and at a better profit than you could rent Hawaii).

You are trading a mandatory property for a voluntary property; your $12,837 becomes of questionable value.

Your MF's go up.

You already have flexibility, at least at the eight month mark. Westin Flex does not own oceanfront units in Hawaii, so it gives you nothing you cannot already get via StarOptions trading.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Well that's why I posted the question. Right now our SVV is not a good renter, since we can't rent out aside from what we own. Putting aside the 2 bedroom kierland and just looking at VSS by itself.

- I would get 4 x 270k Bonvoy points for $1875 (4k value?)
- An extra 220k if I don't go to VSS for our explorer package.
- ability now to rent out 81k kierland yearly for spring training (Not sure what this is worth, $2500-2700?)
- ability to book 1yr out no matter the room size or dates.

I do pay about $400 more yearly for maintenance.

This is where the question is, that if Marriot ever opened up for us, they would look at developer purchases first to extend the program to?

Last edited:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are not giving you 1,300,000 Bonvoy Points for $1,875.
1,300,000/3 = 433,333 old SPG
You need to confirm the offer.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
- I would get 4 x 270k Bonvoy points for $1875 (4k value?)

that's $1875 for EACH of 4 purchases of 270K points.

if you value them around the consensus of 0.9c that would make the value $2430, so a bit of saving, but only if you have a near term use for them, as these points expire after 6yrs and the longer you hold them the less they will generally be worth as redemption rates increase over time...

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
It's 4 purchases of 270k at $1875

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Only thing they said was that, if Marriott ever decided to let owners into Mvc program, it most likely would be owners that bought from the developer and that’s what our purchases would look like now.

Thoughts?

This is where the question is, that if Marriot ever opened up for us, they would look at developer purchases first to extend the program to?

Were the salesman's lips moving when he made these representations?

If so and if you are relying on these statements, you'd better get them in writing.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Lol, glad I posted it. Overall I still think it isn't bad, but we are still going to hold out.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Thoughts?

The initial 2010 enrollment offer to Marriott owners into their new Marriott DC program had different buy-in levels based on the source of purchase. I'm hoping we'll see something similiar. :cool:

From the old 2010 thread (link)
Weeks Purchased From Marriott or through an approved broker
- Enroll 1 Week $595
- Enroll 2 or more weeks Only $695

Weeks Purchased From Third Party*
- Enroll 1 Week $1,495
- Enroll 2 or more weeks Only $1,995

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
The initial 2010 enrollment offer to Marriott owners into their new Marriott DC program had different buy-in levels based on the source of purchase. I'm hoping we'll see something similiar. :cool:

From the old 2010 thread (link)
Weeks Purchased From Marriott or through an approved broker
- Enroll 1 Week $595
- Enroll 2 or more weeks Only $695

Weeks Purchased From Third Party*
- Enroll 1 Week $1,495
- Enroll 2 or more weeks Only $1,995

Thanks for this.