• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New VSN owner looking for advice

ray8817

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
THE WESTIN LAGUNAMAR OCEAN RESORT
Hi Everyone, wish I could find this community earlier

So I recently purchased a 37000 options(thank god I only purchased the least amount) with Westin Lagunamar and I am regretting it so much, but It has been 15 days after the cancellation window. Right now I am just telling myself to accept it because I guess there is noting I can do. After reading a lot of threads I want to buy a resale so I can have more flexibility on travelling which lead me to a couple questions:

1. How many additional options do I need to purchase from the developer in order to retro.( For example: Sheraton Vistana Village 139,700 Annual)

2.What are the suggested resorts I should purchase(Mandatory)?

3.Can I purchase multiple resale VOI and combine them into one VSN account so that options can add up?

Thanks!!!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

You generally need to buy approx. $20,000 in new VOI through the developer to retro some other purchase... Most likely that will give you around the 148,100 StarOptions every other year level, plus whatever your retro brings...

ray8817

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome!

You generally need to buy approx. $20,000 in new VOI through the developer to retro some other purchase... Most likely that will give you around the 148,100 StarOptions every other year level, plus whatever your retro brings...

Hi man, so does it mean I need to purchase equivalent amount of VOI I bought from resale market, but it can be biannual?

Thank you

ray8817

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, since I might retro anyway, which voluntary I should buy since it’s cheaper than mandatory.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it make sense to buy Westin St John voluntary and trade it back to Vistana? The maintenance fees are high but if you give it back soon that should not matter. The developer prices were high so the 80% credit should be high as well. I am not making a statement, i would like to know what others think, if this is a good idea.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it make sense to buy Westin St John voluntary and trade it back to Vistana? Yes, the maintenance fees are high but if you give it back soon that should not matter. The developer prices were high so the 80% credit should be high as well.

it doesn't necessarily matter how much the credit is on the resale, as you still have to out up an additional $20,000 in New monies.

if the OP is good with putting that much more actual cash in to a new developer purchase, then I guess it could make sense to "save" a larger amount by trading/retroing a more expensive property.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
it doesn't necessarily matter how much the credit is on the resale, as you still have to out up an additional $20,000 in New monies.

if the OP is good with putting that much more actual cash in to a new developer purchase, then I guess it could make sense to "save" a larger amount by trading/retroing a more expensive property.

my thought is that giving back a more expensive resort allows you get a more expensive "legit" contract with a higher number of StarOptions (or homeoptions) even if using the same 18-20k of new cash. I hope i understand the process correctly

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
my thought is that giving back a more expensive resort allows you get a more expensive "legit" contract with a higher number of StarOptions (or homeoptions) even if using the same 18-20k of new cash. I hope i understand the process correctly

the goal is usually to get the most SOs for the MFs paid, which may or may not be by choosing a more expensive up-front purchase (on paper).

the problem is that the developer will end up offering you a minimum package with more SOs than you may want (and probably higher total MFs) just to make the credit+$20,000 min purchase price work.

if you trade in $50,000 they will only sell you something that goes for $70,000 and it's associated higher number of SOs and higher MFs.

if you trade in $20,000 they will sell you something that goes for $40,000 and it's lower SOs and lower MFs.

since Flex (which is what they're going to offer first) pricing and MFs increase pretty much linearly, my examples follow that (higher buy in means more SOs means higher MFs).

if you buy a deeded week, the end results vary dramatically on what/where you buy, as there isn't necessarily the same linear relationship between price/SOs/MFs across all products.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
At least WLR has affordable MFs!

To answer #3, it doesn't matter how you acquire your SOs, they are internal currency and can be combined.* I, personally, wouldn't give the developer any more money but instead would focus on buying a mandatory resort that got me to my SO goal in the most economical way. What mandatory resort to purchase depends on how long you plan on holding onto it. Generally speaking I'd buy SVV Key West for short term (less than 5 years), and WKV for long term.

I'd also advise you to try and be realistic about your future travel plans, which will change based on your family size, your budget, your availability and your personal likes. Examples: If I had 2 pre-school children who loved amusement parks, my travel plans would look a lot different than if I were an empty nester who loved to snorkel. If my vacation budget was $5000 and I had a family of 5, an annual trip to Maui might be out of the question, but by banking SOs, I could make it work every 4 years. So do some analysis on your unique situation and try to determine what places you want to go to, can afford to go to, and how big a unit you might need. (Hint: A 1 bdrm with a pull-out couch worked great for our family of 4).

Also, I'd strongly advise anyone who's looking to buy a timeshare to look at the network and make sure that the locations appeal to you. As nice as the resorts are, Vistana is much more limited than, say, Marriott. In the 7 years that we owned, we'd traveled as a couple, with family, or with friends to Maui a half dozen times, St. John 3 times, Harborside 1 time, and Arizona 3 times. After our 2nd St. John trip, we had to concede that we we'd grown bored of the network. We'd exhausted everywhere that appealed to us, and were actually starting to travel to places that didn't really appeal to us just to burn up our SOs, and so it was time to sell.

So my last bit of advice is to not OVERbuy. We realized only after we bought a 2 bdrm annual at WKORV-N that we'd overbought. In retrospect, a 1bdrm annual or an EOY 2 bdrm would have been much better for our needs. One of the advantages of VSN is that you can bank SOs for up to 2 years, so take advantage of that flexibility to buy the minimum that works for you.

Hope that helps and good luck to you!

*If you're a married couple, and your first title is deeded to "John and Mary Smith" make sure that subsequent deeds are titled in that order. IOW, don't put Mary's name first on the second deed. If you mix them up, it causes problems when combining SOs.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
To the OP: you are getting some good advice here. I can add only one thing: Take your time. Learn to use what you now own; it will help you make a better decision about what else (if anything) to acquire -- location, size, season, quality level, etc.

It is much easier to buy these things than it is to sell them, so take your time and do it right. Prices are not going up in the interim.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW

I have been offered an upgrade into Westin Flex with as little as $11,500 in new money. This also came with the ability to retro a week as well and use an explorer.

Markus

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been offered an upgrade into Westin Flex with as little as $11,500 in new money. This also came with the ability to retro a week as well and use an explorer.

Good to hear other experiences. I have only dealt with deeded purchases with retro/Explorer, and they all wanted $20K in new funds.

The last few owner's updates did offer me Flex to trade in some deeds, but they priced them close to the $20K in new funds as well.

I've done 3 Explorers over the years, so supposedly I can no longer get those (they don't even offer them to me...)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Markus

I was offered to return our Sheraton Flex (which we did not like) for Westin Flex and x amount of additional options for $20,000 in July, 2018. I stated I was reading on TUG that some members had been able to get deals with only $12,000 of new money. The salesman said he would talk to his manager. About five minutes later, the salesman and manager appeared and the manager stated "we'll make a deal with that margin."

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Certainly Westin Flex is in it's 'young days,' but it sounds intriguing.

TravelBee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Resort

Markus
Who is your sales agent?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Certainly Westin Flex is in it's 'young days,' but it sounds intriguing.

Westin Flex is not MANDATORY - that means that when/if you resale it, it has NO STAROPTIONS. This tanks the resale value.

You are far better off buying a deeded resale week at WKORV-N/S which is mandatory. (Or a resale at another mandatory resort.)